shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Asscherbee

Rough_Rock
I''m completely new to this search for my perfect diamond and I''d like some help. I found an asscher diamond that has the following specs: 1.59 carats, VS-1, H color, no fluor., excellent polish and symmetry, 68.8% total depth, 60% table, 45.4 crown angle, 18.1% crown height, 52.6 pavilion angle, 46.3% pavilion depth, thick girdle, no culet; measurments are 6.46 x 6.45 x 4.44 and a l/w ratio of 1.00:1.00. At $8,210 is this a good value? Thanks!
1.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/22/2003 4:36:53 PM elirva wrote:

I'm completely new to this search for my perfect diamond and I'd like some help. I found an asscher diamond that has the following specs: 1.59 carats, VS-1, H color, no fluor., excellent polish and symmetry, 68.8% total depth, 60% table, 45.4 crown angle, 18.1% crown height, 52.6 pavilion angle, 46.3% pavilion depth, thick girdle, no culet; measurments are 6.46 x 6.45 x 4.44 and a l/w ratio of 1.00:1.00. At $8,210 is this a good value? Thanks!
1.gif

----------------

I believe an asscher cut is considered a square emerald cut for purposes of the AGA cut charts, so I checked the AGA chart for emerald cuts. The table looks good, but the overall depth pushes it to Class 2B, and the crown height pushes it down even further down to Class 3B. It may very well be a beautiful stone, but the cut does not appear to be top notch.

hope

Rough_Rock
I had thought that old asschers had numbers much like you mentioned -- deep, very high crown, small table. I have even seen some old stones for resale with tables in the very high 40's/low 50's.

Royal Asscher has a website (www.royalasscher) and you can check out their inventory for comparison. I couldn't comment on which of the ones they list is the best cut, however.

I don't think a true asscher is judged by the same standards as a square emerald cut even though some people use the terms interchangeably.

Could someone comment if this is correct? I have always been interested in this myself.

Thanks.

Good luck in your search,

Hope

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'd never judge an antique asscher or a modern Royal Asscher by square emerald numbers, but since so many so-called asschers are really square emeralds I'd have to see the stone first.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results