shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher or emerald eternity band questions.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I've never really looked into these options before, I guess I never had a reason to, but as I delve into different eternity band options, I've been also considering these two.

Are there any pros and cons to these style eternity bands? I'll be pairing it with a 3.6mm cathedral solitaire, if that helps at all. I'd have to see them paired together once I get the solitaire, just wanting to get some feedback on these options. If you happen to own one, please post photos as well! Any tips/advice or knowledge welcomed. Thank you! :wavey:

Also, when purchasing these diamonds, is there anything I'd need to know as well. I'm more versed in rounds, I guess it's time to research :)

**Edited** - I would ideally like the diamonds to be no wider than my solitaire setting, at the smallest point it's 2.6, and at the largest it's 3.6mm - I wonder what the ideal size of the emerald diamond would be to match the engagement setting, while looking like they go together. Any thoughts?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi breanne!

I have an asscher half eternity band and I absolutely love it. BUT it is a pain to keep clean. I imagine an eternity would be even worse because of the stones rubbing against the inside of your hand. The problem is that an asscher (and I imagine the same goes for emerald cuts) show dirt much more than rounds. That is, the same amount of dirt would probably not even show on a round but on an asscher it shows and will decrease the stone's brilliance.

I would never change my asscher band for a round cut band because I really like it, the steps perform really really well in a band. BUT I would be hard pressed to recommend you getting it unless you are sure, especially without telling you what you're getting yourself into.... ;))

Re what size to get: I think that depends on your solitaire (stone) size and what type of setting you prefer. My asscher band has 0.11 ct asschers and the stones go all the way edge to edge of the ring. The ring is 3 mm wide. I never wear it with my 1 ct cushion (ca 6 mm) because I think the asschers make my solitaire look smaller than what it is.

Hope this helps

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Helps tremendously actually, I do believe I read in another post that you found asschers harder to keep clean. It really is something to consider as the whole point of a diamond is the brilliance, but I do love the sophistication, so maybe I'll find it worth it like you :)

My diamond is 7.17mm, so the largest part of the band is half the diamonds width, it's smallest behind my finger, and actually graduates larger towards the basket, I like to call it a 'reverse taper' from 2.6-3.6mm

Because I'm a newby to this option, what are your thoughts when I give you these numbers. My ring size is a 5, the ER band is largest at 3.6 and smallest at 2.6mm as I mentioned, I think a good pairing size for the eternity, or possible half eternity would be around 3mm width? Or would you suggest smaller ?

What's also important to me is that they both lay together at the same thickness, not width wise, I don't know the term to use to explain. You often see eternity bands that bulge out much more than the ER, I'd like them to lay flush together, if that makes sense. Does this help narrow down any options? What parameter of size would I need to look at? I hope I'm making sense lol!!

Here is an example of my ring, this is my hand, but that's a 2 carat, mine is made in scale, slightly smaller of course, and I have a round diamond. Let me hunt some of the eternity options I find appealing as well, I'll post below shortly.

_37716.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Hmm.. maybe one of the experts would be better at answering your question. I think the best step forward would be to visit a jeweler and try bands on and see what pleases your eyes the most and what works with the taper. I am really not sure how reverse taper looks with a band or how to get a flush fit. Maybe it will sit flush but at an angle? I hope someone will chime in here.

Or, maybe I misunderstand what you mean re flush fit? Do you mean that you dont like prongs sticking out from the band/stones not sitting in a straight line?

My band may give you an idea of a different type of setting than a classic one. The stones sit with shared prongs made like triangles, making it possible to get the stones and the prongs in a straight line. I prefer it this way and had the ring custom made like this, but I know it isnt very common.

(sorry, old pics..)

my ring...

Close ups...

_4678.jpeg

_4677.jpeg

_4679.jpeg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
breanne|1467827771|4052129 said:
Helps tremendously actually, I do believe I read in another post that you found asschers harder to keep clean. It really is something to consider as the whole point of a diamond is the brilliance, but I do love the sophistication, so maybe I'll find it worth it like you :)

My diamond is 7.17mm, so the largest part of the band is half the diamonds width, it's smallest behind my finger, and actually graduates larger towards the basket, I like to call it a 'reverse taper' from 2.6-3.6mm

Because I'm a newby to this option, what are your thoughts when I give you these numbers. My ring size is a 5, the ER band is largest at 3.6 and smallest at 2.6mm as I mentioned, I think a good pairing size for the eternity, or possible half eternity would be around 3mm width? Or would you suggest smaller ?

What's also important to me is that they both lay together at the same thickness, not width wise, I don't know the term to use to explain. You often see eternity bands that bulge out much more than the ER, I'd like them to lay flush together, if that makes sense. Does this help narrow down any options? What parameter of size would I need to look at? I hope I'm making sense lol!!

Here is an example of my ring, this is my hand, but that's a 2 carat, mine is made in scale, slightly smaller of course, and I have a round diamond. Let me hunt some of the eternity options I find appealing as well, I'll post below shortly.

This is the height of the band. Get a jeweler to measure the height of your e-ring so you can find a matching eternity.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, exactly! The profile! I read that word in another post and thought, dammit, how did I miss that lol.

The 'problem' is, I haven't been proposed to yet, I did the seeking of the diamond, and had the setting made, but the rest is up to him, so it could come now, or in a few months!! Who knows, lol!! I haven't seen it completed. I will most definitely try different bands with it!!

Here is a profile pic of my setting to be, I don't imagine it to be much smaller, I haven't asked what the actual measurement is, any guesses? 1 1/2 - 2 mm?

_37721.jpg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Your set is absolutely stunning, wow. I always loved yellow gold, I currently wear a yellow gold diamond ring as well. My bad for the terrible explanation. I meant I appreciate when the profiles of the rings are flush, so one isn't thicker than the other between my fingers, yours look pretty flush to me!

I actually don't know how it would work either with the taper, and pairing that with an eternity band, I guess it can't be much different than the normal taper? One photo below is asscher, and the other is emerald - I hope I'm not doing anything improper by posting other PSers bands, but I do love both for their size.

asscher_18stones_.png

4ctwemerald.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
I think you have to wait until you have your ring and see what would work with it, it depends on its height as well as how wide the taper is. And I think that pic with taper may be tricking you because that ring seems to have a princess center.
Dont make decisions now! :halo: :lol:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I always need a project :lol: Once we finalized my RB and setting, I thought, now what do I do with myself? lol!! You're definitely right, I do need to wait until I have the completed ring, I really was just looking for some visual aid. I've seen SO many beautiful emerald cut ER's in the process, it's unbelievable. Fortunately, I'll be using my same jeweler again for the eternity band and diamonds, so they'll have the CAD rendering, which I assume will be helpful in creating something that fits. What part of the world are ya, I'm in Canada, I don't think I've seen too many with fancy cuts either, around my parts anyway.

Side note, ever see Jessica Simpson's old engagement set, wow, I'm certainly glad I hadn't seen that before because that would've been a whole other monster of a process ! Maybe when I upgrade :love:

Forgot to add, that pic with taper isn't the stone I'll be going with, it's only the setting. It's the exact setting scaled down proportionally to fit my RB. Here's the CADS :)

_4684.jpeg

_4685.jpeg

_4686.jpeg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: I understand that..! I think it looks like the taper in your ring isnt as significant as the pic you posted, so maybe wont be a problem.

One thought... the prongs in your cad look like they are sticking up really far. Is it supposed to be like that or will they be adjusted? If you want to they can also be made finer, but that is of course a matter of preference.

I actually prefer JS's new ring with the ruby center... ;-)

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, I was thinking about the pics of bands with emerald cuts. You see the stones are set north/south? That means that unless you get super small/fat emeralds, your ring will have to be rather wide. A wide emerald band would IMO look better as a rhr ring in order not to overwhelm the solitaire. Have you considered east/west set baguette band instead? I think that way you can get bigger stones and better appreciate the steps. I think an east/west band would be great with a solitaire. :wavey:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh I love her ruby too!! The prongs look like that in the rendering, they'll be inconspicuous. I've also read a lot of jewellers in their posts of emerald and asscher cut eternities that they don't usually look best with ER, and are usually good for anniversary gifts or RHR's as you mentioned. I really can't say I love the east west, I haven't seen them in person, but for the overall look I envision in my mind, it's not quite that. But again, who knows, I had originally wanted round eternity, so things may change once I have the completed ER. I do like the thinner more rectangular emerald cuts, maybe if I can get them low profile, it could work! So fun !! :lol:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ok, well, as you know I personally disagree with what those jewelers apparently think. What is important is what you like though, not what I or someone else thinks.

:wavey:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
True enough, I follow Lauren B on Instagram, that's really only where I'm referencing it from. I got word my ring will be done next week :O doesn't mean I'll personally see it lol, but I did ask his opinion on emerald cut bands with my actual setting, curious what his thoughts are. I don't know about you but I get hyper focused and I feel sometimes ask a billion questions, I'm sure working with men is a lot easier than women, were so precise and meticulous, I sometimes feel bad for all my questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results