shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher lab grown diamond opinion please?

wave1127

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I haven't been back on pricescope for a very long time (20 years?) . I'm amazed at the quality of lab diamonds available now!

I've always wanted an asscher cut ring and with the availability of lab grown diamonds I decided to bite the bullet create a statement ring.

I've been lurking on the forum reading about asschers and what to look for but I have to admit, I'm pretty naive about all of it.

I started looking at e-diamonds and very easily found myself flustered by the wide selection of diamonds and ranges of prices. Seeing a diamond online is so much different from in person.

I decided to go to my local jeweler in Tampa and found this stone which seems to be a perfect size for the ring I'm planning. I have no idea if this is a good quality stone other than the renowned reputation of the jeweler.

Admittedly I'm a little intimidated by the expert opinions here on pricescope but I thought I'd attach the stats and a picture to see if there is a general consensus on yay or nay to this specific diamond?

I really appreciate your honest opinions. I feel like I should trust this reputable jeweler to only stock quality stones or am I being too naive to think that? I'm a bit overwhelmed looking at the inventory of e-stones out there so personally felt better seeing one in person at my jeweler.

thank you so much for your opinions in advance!

igiasscherreport.jpg processed-2F1139B0-E574-4DE0-B509-722750549E8F.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a CVD diamond, which isn't bad really but HPHT is the more advanced tech these days I think. CVD usually costs less than HPHT. And you need to check for blue nuance and internal striations more with CVD as far as I know. Did you examine those features with your jeweler?

Cut looks promising to me. Do you have a video? I might err towards a smaller table all else being equal. But can't tell much without more images and video.

I would not trust the jeweler just based on their reputation, but I absolutely understand the ease of shopping in person and I think its worth the extra expense it sometimes entails, especially if you don't want to go through the hassle of shopping online for a fancy cut like this.

wave1127

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your input Dreamer_D! I really do appreciate it so much!
Unfortunately I don't have a video of the diamond up close.

Your opinion that the cut looks promising really does help ease my anxiety a bit.

After a much confusing trip to the world of loose lab diamonds I think I really do agree that the shopping in person experience is worth the extra expense for me personally.

Thank you again for your opinion!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
FYI CVD can have issues with graining/stria and pink/brown/grey tint. HPHT can have issues with blue nuance (blue/grey tint) and phosphorescence. For fancy cuts I think it’s absolutely a must to compare stones in person.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI CVD can have issues with graining/stria and pink/brown/grey tint. HPHT can have issues with blue nuance (blue/grey tint) and phosphorescence. For fancy cuts I think it’s absolutely a must to compare stones in person.

I knew one of them was blue :lol-2:

wave1127

Rough_Rock
I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly but I'm tagging @Karl_K
thank you in advance for any insight you might have.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
need better images, but am seeing potential cut issues and crystal issues.
Spin video we can control the spin on is preferred.

wave1127

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K
thank you so much for your well respected opinion on the diamond I posted. I appreciate it so much!!

unfortunately I don't have a spin video for this diamond. I'm buying it from a local jeweler's inventory and it is intended for more of a fashion/cocktail/statement ring that they are custom making for me.

i know it's just the one picture but in your opinion, do you think the potential cut and crystal issues are enough that I should ask the jeweler to look for another option for my ring?

again I appreciate your advice based on such limited info but I guess I just wanted reassurance that it wasn't a "nope, run for the hills" type stone.

they haven't started making the ring yet we are in the 3D image part of the process so I could ask them to source other stones if this one is just plain awful.

again very excited you responded and thank you again for your time and advice.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you get a picture of the stone table parallel to the camera over a bright red or bright blue background?
That will help with the cut question.
A wrap off a pepsi bottle is perfect to use either red or blue.
Have you seen it in person? Does it dance?

wave1127

Rough_Rock
I did get to see it in person. not sure what "dance" means? I'm guessing if I fall in love with it on sight? I'm going to make an
appointment to see the stone in person again to see if it does dance

thank you again @Karl_K for your insight

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I did get to see it in person. not sure what "dance" means? I'm guessing if I fall in love with it on sight? I'm going to make an

If you’re judging by eye, just make sure to look at it outside of the jeweler’ lights, which are intended to flatter every stone. Try to look at it in natural light, too.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Generally you want to see the facets flash on/off with the smallest movement of the diamond. Diamonds with facets that flash on/off at a faster rate look more lively.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

When you rotate the stone even slightly on a well cut asscher the stone flashes and the more you tilt it the more the light show plays.
A great one will not have large parts of the stone go dark at once, parts when they do go dark quickly wink back on as tilted slightly more and you can play the light back and forth across the stone for hours.

That is the asscher dance.

wave1127

Rough_Rock
@0-0-0
OMG, you are friggin' awesome!! Thank you thank you thank you for that video. How the heck did you find that? I think I love you berry berry much!:lol-2:

@Karl_K
Please forgive my naivete but what is "crystal"? And the cut being "marginal" is that necessarily a bad thing?

A very sincere thank you so much to everyone for describing to me what I should be looking for and defining the Asscher Dance. I will check the stone out again in person to see if it does indeed dance.

YOU GUYS ROCK:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
crystal is the diamond material itself, with LGD the quality of the material itself varies a huge amount.

Marginal - means based on available information it might have issues.
If you were buying totally online I would have said move on.
Since your seeing it you can see if you like the patterns, brightness and dance and gather more info.
The pic over a red or blue background will also help clarify things.

wave1127

Rough_Rock
thank you again to everyone for your advice and education about asscher cuts! you guys are so awesome.

I got to visit and spend time with the stone in person. I got to lay it on my hand, walk around and see it in the store under all the different types lighting and even outside in the sun and shade.

I would say in my simple layperson point of view, yes the stone does dance in person. taking pictures and video does not translate very accurately to seeing it in person.

in my humble opinion I think for a statement diamond seeing the stone person was the best assurance for me❤️.

Thank you once again for everyone's help!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theres no substitute for seeing a diamond with your own eyes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results