shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Issues

ACruz

Rough_Rock
Can someone shed some light, no pun intended, lol. Same ring in both photos. Is the cause of the darkness in the one photo extinction and does that mean it's poorly cut? Screenshot_20240409_131409_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240409_120124_Gallery.jpg

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Cannot say about extinction but yes, it is badly cut. Look for a stone that stays crisp and reflects light in many different viewing angles. Asschers are going to have viewing angles where the large facets are crisp and white white while the window facets get blurred, and vice versa. You probably won’t find perfection where every facet is crisp and white from most of the viewing angles like you might find in an ideal cut round, but at least try to minimize the angles where you see blurring and darkness. Some dark facets are good for contrast but in order to get contrast the idea is to alternate bright and dark facets as opposed to having a concentration of many dark facets close together, like the diamond you posted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you blocking the light source in the second photo? That's my guess.

ACruz

Rough_Rock
Last edited:

ACruz

Rough_Rock
yep + dark camera.

Hi, I've seen some of your other posts. You are very knowledgeable. Do you feel this is a cut issue? From different angles the stone does the same thing in direct light.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, I've seen some of your other posts. You are very knowledgeable. Do you feel this is a cut issue? From different angles the stone does the same thing in direct light.

In picturess or by eye? By direct light do you mean full sunlight?

ACruz

Rough_Rock
In picturess or by eye? By direct light do you mean full sunlight?

The phenomenon, for lack of a better word/description since I don't know what the cause is, can be seen by eye and in photos in full sunlight or shaded. It all depends on the angle of the ring/stone.

Last edited:

ACruz

Rough_Rock
The phenomenon, for lack of a better word/description since I don't what the cause is, can be seen by eye and in photos in full sunlight or shaded. It all depends on the angle of the ring/stone.

It's less apparent indoors.

ACruz

Rough_Rock
Diamond.JPG Diamond 2.JPG

ACruz

Rough_Rock
The cut was supposedly very very good from trusted source. So not sure what to think.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok it is possible that the stone has an over reaction to obstruction, in other words it tries to draw light from where you are to much.
Its not uncommon for it to happen with a camera but by eye a lot is more of an issue.
Bottom line if you dont love it and have a return policy start over.
Just keep in mind every stone reacts to obstruction to some degree.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second photo looks like obstruction where there is a large dark object in front of the diamond reflecting and making the diamond dark.

Diamonds also go dark in bright sunlight because of some light magic I don’t care to explain, but it’s normal. It’s usually accompanied by super bright fire.

But like Karl said, poorly cut stones can go dark like this too much or too easily. We can’t tell with certainty from just these images or from your description which is happening here.

Can you post a video of the diamond as arms length standing with your back to a window (diffuse light)?

ACruz

Rough_Rock
The second photo looks like obstruction where there is a large dark object in front of the diamond reflecting and making the diamond dark.

Diamonds also go dark in bright sunlight because of some light magic I don’t care to explain, but it’s normal. It’s usually accompanied by super bright fire.

But like Karl said, poorly cut stones can go dark like this too much or too easily. We can’t tell with certainty from just these images or from your description which is happening here.

Can you post a video of the diamond as arms length standing with your back to a window (diffuse light)?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks very pretty in that image! I can see how when you bring it closer to your head/camera it goes dark. Do you have dark hair? You are also wearing a black shirt! If you wear a white/light shirt what does it look like?

I’m also wondering if this is something you notice and don’t like when wearing the ring or only something you see in photos.

ACruz

Rough_Rock
It looks very pretty in that image! I can see how when you bring it closer to your head/camera it goes dark. Do you have dark hair? You are also wearing a black shirt! If you wear a white/light shirt what does it look like?

I’m also wondering if this is something you notice and don’t like when wearing the ring or only something you see in photos.

Correct. I can live with it knowing it's just the nature of the asscher but would be disappointed finding out it's poorly cut which technically shouldn't be from the specks and what I've been told. I guess a good appraisal by unbiased individual would confirm.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
An appraisal will not assess light performance. Why not buy a ASET scope and scope the diamond for reassurance?

This link will give you an ideal of the light performance that you are looking for:

ACruz

Rough_Rock
Hello again. I'm waiting on an Aset scope but in the meantime I have a couple of other questions. I've done some visual testing and it does seem what is happening is an over reaction to obstruction but obviously not positive. The issue is less noticeable if I am wearing something white or light colored. How would one know the difference between an over reaction to obstruction or that the diamond is exhibiting over dark contrast? Are they one and the same and are they both due to subpar cut? Is this very common or not in Asschers? I'd hate to wind up with worse considering what was stated earlier that every diamond reacts to a certain degree to obstruction.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results