shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher help requested! (particularly regarding photo tilt)

pipboy

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase an asscher / square emerald diamond in the neighborhood of 6.5mm square, which puts the diamond somewhere around 1.5 to 1.8 carats depending on depth. I've found two interesting choices but I could use some input from trained eyes (or at least those used to seeing beautiful cuts).

---

The first one is 1.6c, VVS2, I-color, EX/VG, 67.4% depth, 63.0% table:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1314641.asp

I think this one has great potential but I'm worried the photo is tilted which is disrupting the patterns in the photo. Can someone with a trained eye confirm this?

---

The second one is 1.78c, VVS2, J-color, EX/VG, 74.5% depth, 57.0% table:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1390361.asp

I like that this one has a very sharp pattern which, combined with the large depth, seems to give it that mile deep look. I'm a bit concerned that the center of the stone is relatively dark. Will this diamond be less brilliant than other asschers because of the relatively dark center?

---

I like that both diamonds are within 0.01mm of being perfectly square. I recognize that the colors are high (I and J respectively) but that quality is the one that I'm most willing to compromise on, particularly because I'm going for an antique look with this ring.

I appreciate any and all feedback about either diamond. Thanks in advance!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Asscher help requested! (particularly regarding photo ti

Okay. So... not liking either of those really. But the first is better. The photo might be off, you can ask JA-- it's definitely out of square... if it is the pic, then ask them for another, if it isn't PASS. But the second one is super deep and I don't care for the it in the pics either-- small windmills, first two steps are nice but the third is not...

You can go down to VS clarity. Let's see if we can find you something with some potential.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay so slim pickings. Can you go up to 2 carats (7mm) and 11,000 (http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1134710.asp ? Or down to 6mm and 5,000? I found a couple with more potential at either of those two polls.

If you can do 6mm this Octavia is to die for: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=9878&shape=8192&color=496&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

You are set on the warmer colors, huh? Don't get me wrong, I love them... it's just that pickings are slimmer. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1389388.asp I can't get the picture to fully load, but from what I can see it's got interesting potential except that the table is bigger than I'd like (though if the crown height is high enough that could be a non-issue)

If not, I'd call Jon at Good Old Gold and ask him to source something for you.

pipboy

Rough_Rock

I'm certainly not bound to the warmer colors, in fact I'd prefer something closer to colorless. Color is just the main thing I'm willing to compromise on to get a larger, clearer diamond.

I have wiggle room on the size since I'm planning on having a custom setting made. I'm being good and putting my foot down at $10000 for the diamond itself, otherwise it's too easy to get carried away and not land anywhere near budget. I'd like to be closer to $7500 or $8000 for the diamond, if I can find something right.

I appreciate the help, thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

See what their gemologists say about these three. You need to check if they are eyclean, and also ask for crown height on all of them. Don't get an ASET or anything yet. Just ask them basic questions... is the stone bright? Eyeclean? What is the crown height on the eyclean ones (they might have to run a sarin on them). Then ask which one they'd recommend, if any.

Then you can get an ASET on that one. If none are recommended, ask them to pick one (around 6.4 square, eyeclean, bright and octagonal with nice windmills).

The pickings were slim so these were the best I could find.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1315332.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1384397.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1376202.asp

As an asscher owner though, I have to say that size is a big deal. IF you can stretch the budget another 1,000 for the stone... this one at 7mm is a great deal, if it checks out with their gemologist. If it were me, this one would be my first choice: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1134710.asp 7mm is a fabulous size. And you will really appreciate the difference.

You also might want to contact Perry Chen at Leon Mege's Concierge Service to see what he can find for you. He seems to find some really nice diamonds at good prices.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Ooohh...that last one Gypsy posted is beautiful!!!! :love: :love: I agree, if you can stretch your budget just a touch, that would be my choice, too.

pipboy

Rough_Rock

I think I can push the budget just a bit. The 2.19ct J-VS2 seems worth the extra expense, _if_ it checks out. I'm working on finding more information about it. I think it has great potential: the photo suggests prominent windmills and a very symmetrical pattern, both good qualities in my opinion.

If I've learned anything about diamond shopping it's that photos don't tell the whole story. Unfortunately, the in person approach doesn't seem to be much better: a brick and mortar store lets you see diamonds in person but under very specific lighting conditions that may or may not show you what the diamond will look like in everyday life.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi Pipboy, you are right. There are a lot of factors in finding a nice fancy shaped stone. I know James Allen will be honest with you, every time I have called them they've been very frank with me. Please let us know what they say about that J... I hope it works out for you... and if it doesn't, no worries, we'll help you find something that does!

pipboy

Rough_Rock

Well, things have gotten a touch more complicated. After spending some time at the jewelry store, my other half felt torn between the fire and brilliance (sparkles) of a round as compared to the uniqueness and elegance of the Asscher. We were looking at a 1.15 round and a 1.08 asscher.

I'm torn between these two:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8518/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7583/

The round looks like a phenomenal cut and it's a little bigger than 7mm. The octavia asscher is really something unique and special but I worry it won't have the same luster as the H&A round and it's a fair bit smaller at ~6mm. I've ruled out traditional asschers for being too tame in their fire/sparkle/brilliance.

Will the Octavia have the same luster as the H&A?
Are there any red flags for either of these stones?
Will the H&A appear considerably larger than the Octavia given the 1mm difference?

Thanks for your help!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The octavia will not give you the fire and brilliance of an ideal cut round but it won't disappoint either. I have an EC RHR and it shoots off amazing long prisms of light that my round never will. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either diamond from GOG but it all boils down to which shape you want. Yes, you'll will notice a 1mm difference in size but both will be a nice size in a ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are both beautiful stones. But yes, the round stone is going to look significantly larger. I'd love to have an Octavia Asscher, but I would not sacrifice the size if these were my two choices. I'd choose the round. If you were comparing a .80 round to this asscher, then I might have a harder decision.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asschers, including the Octavia face up smaller than a round.

We bought an Octavia and also have a couple super ideal rounds, a Solasfera and a Whiteflash ACA.

The Octavia has extremely high level of scintillation and contrast.
It really has the best light performance of any asscher I've seen.
Also becuase of its high crown and smart optics it looks great even if you don't look straight down into the top of the diamond.
Even the best round will not do this.

Here's a thread about our Octavia, with pics starting at the bottom of page 3.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pop-the-cork-i-just-bought-the-first-ocatvia.132337/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pop-the-cork-i-just-bought-the-first-ocatvia.132337/[/URL]

You really should see both side by side.
Do you have the credit/cash to buy both and return one?
If not perhaps GOG will ship both to a trustworth independent professional appraiser near you so you can view them both.
You will probably have to repay the return shipping for one but that's a small price to pay for what you will learn.

They really are both going to look absolutely superb, but VERY different looking.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GOG makes amazing videos for their customers who want to compare diamonds so maybe you can request them to make one for you.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

marcy|1311641408|2976725 said:
GOG makes amazing videos for their customers who want to compare diamonds so maybe you can request them to make one for you.

Great idea Marcy! GOG is great like that :)

pipboy

Rough_Rock

I'll ask about the video, that's a good idea. I'm simply not in a position right now to be able to order both.

pipboy

Rough_Rock

By the way, for context, the ring size for this diamond will be 5.5.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not to confuse things further but... have you looked at cushions? Many of the cushions now have ideal light performance... The Quadrex, Square Hearts and Arrows, Jubilee, and the August VIntage. And I find that as an asscher owner, they give me the 'kick' of something different than a round, without the steps that draw you in of an asscher.

Can you buy both or have both sent to a local appraiser and go see them?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8520/ This is one of the nicest AVCs I've seen in a while, and it does face up larger than the Octavia. Plus it's a higher color.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8219/ Amazing light performance

Just thought I'd throw it out there. I was stuck between an asscher and a round. And didn't know about cushions. If I had... I probably would be a cushion owner right about now.

pipboy

Rough_Rock

Unfortunately (even though they're stunning) the cushions are not an option. That particular cut (the cushion shape) is essentially offlimits.

I'm still torn. I waver between the round and the octavia. At the moment I'm leaning octavia because there's simply nothing else like it. Other times I lean towards the round since the cut seems exceptional and the combination of brilliance and spread should make for a stunning ring. I don't think either choice is a bad choice, I just want to make the best one I can.

Jonathan at GOG is working on a video of the two for me (they've been amazingly helpful). After seeing that I should be able to make up my mind, though your opinions are very much appreciated.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Tough choice indeed! I like the size of the round you're looking at, but the Octavia is *such* a unique and beautiful cut- and it's three dimensionality is really awesome with that yummy high crown.

At least, with GOG you could always upgrade to the other cut later if it turns out whatever you picked isn't quite what you want for a lifetime.

pipboy

Rough_Rock

They both look spectacular! I'm going to make my decision tonight.

Video:

http://www.vimeo.com/26934445

The folks at GOG continue to be incredibly helpful, their customer service is nothing short of amazing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow that was a quick response for a video. Who needs Netflix when you can watch cool videos like that?

I am sorry I can not be any help as to which one to get because they are both gorgeous. The RB will be a stunning diamond and perform from any angle in any light. It is slightly bigger. The Octavia also will not disappoint in performance and will be very unique since I doubt any of us will run in to someone who has one. You can't go wrong with either of those beauties. I can't wait to see what you get.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah wow. I'd go Octavia. That small crown is drool worthy.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

I love seeing GOG's videos. It really does help to visualize the differences. That being said, I am an asscher owner and secretly lust over octavias, so I am biased with my opinion. I LOVE the asscher, and that would be my choice. But the round is beautiful too. Because asschers (octavias included) face up smaller than rounds, IMO it boils down to whether size or shape is more important, as they both perform wonderfully. I have some round stones (in earrings, as side stones, and in my eternity) but I prefer fancy shapes for e-rings. It's my personal opinion. I love looking at round stones on PS, but I just could never see myself wearing a round e-ring. I also love having a stone shape that is "unique", as I have yet to see another asscher in real life, although I live in a big city. They are much more popular here on PS.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

pipboy

Rough_Rock

I took the plunge on.. the Octavia!

The round is a beautiful diamond with great spread, but there's something unreal about that Octavia. I like the geometric shapes of the fire and sparkle, the tall crown with the small table, and that it looks like a white ball of fire in the outside light. It's unlike anything I've seen; I think she'll appreciate that unique character.

Now my plan is to work with a local jeweler on a custom vintage-style setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations. :appl:
I can't wait to hear your reaction when you see the Octavia in person.
Also, let us know what your jeweler thinks of the cut.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations Pipboy. I am sure you'll both love it. I can't wait to see the final ring. There is a thread on asschers and emerald cut diamonds you should browse through to see different ring styles too. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are going to be blown away. Can we help you with setting ideas at all? We'd be happy to post pics if you tell us what you are aiming for!

pipboy

Rough_Rock

I love this setting.

http://www.diannesestatejewelry.com/itemdetail.cfm?xidno=720&xfrom=AB&xgroup=63

I really like the side stone baguettes with one vertical and one horizontal on each side. That's my favorite configuration of any ring I've seen: horizontal, vertical, asscher, vertical, horizontal. I also like that the prongs have character but aren't overwhelming.

I saw the ring in person but was not as impressed as I wanted to be about the character of the diamond itself. Since I'm going for as-close-to-perfect as I can, I just didn't want to settle for a stone that I wasn't over the moon about. The store (Dianne's) is spectacular and the folks that work there are the simply the nicest people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh my lord. That is my all time favorite setting for an asscher! I kid you not.

I love the prongs on the asscher of that one. Oh, I have a ton of pics somewhere of that style. Let's see what I can find! I'm so excited that this is what you chose!!! YOU MUST POST PICS WHEN YOU HAVE THE COMPLETED RING! :appl:

Okay... So this one is with sapphires, but I love now the sidestones are bezelled and there is milgrain around each bezel. I think it eliminates the 'too much prong' syndrome this setting style can have if you bezel the sidestones. And the milgrain add a lovely deco touch, especially since it isn't over-used, but confined to only the side accents.

sapphireloverring.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay here's another. The picture quality is crap. But you can see that the sidestones are bezelled here too (no milgrain) but it really lets the center be the star.

images.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results