shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher expertise needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mkbat

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Looking for some opinions on the following stone;

Square Cut Emerald
Size: 5.01 carats
Clairity: VS2
Color: J
Table: 67.4 %
Depth: 70%
Crown: 13
Pavillion: 54
Girdle: Thin Polished
Culet: None
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Very Good

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from all you experts!

Thanks so much, Mona

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the dimensions? I''d prefer a smaller table, but I''ve heard that stones of this size are hard to come by right now, so you may need to snatch it up. Also, if you''re looking for a true octagonal appearance you''d need to see it (or at least get a photo) to confirm it looks the way you''d want it to look.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No expert here... just to judge the numbers, you may want to use AGA's standard for emerald cut diamonds allowing a little clemence for a hair extra depth and smaller table since the Asschers are supposed to come that way. Some refference to this tool comes under "Knowledge / Fancy shapes" on top of this page.

IMO, there is no detraction aparent in the description. It may be hard to obtain several stones of the kind to choose from. If you could however, it would be great. These stats are really not enough to guess what the stone looks like. There can be countless variations with the same table and depth.
38.gif

Anyway, there are few such stones (step cut, square and large) with any better grade than "good" for symmetry. The modern cuts get them more often, so I am tempted to say that this may well be one of the lucky, fashionable descendents of the classic asscher. The look I have in mind saying this comes close to the one below:

309a.JPG

Not that it has to be... there are quite a few variations (link to page with examples). Just a hunch :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might be ok if you like the big table asscher look.
It is going to show some color also so make sure that doesnt bug you.
Some pictures would help.
There isnt much that can be told by the info you have.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mona- and everyone!
Let''s start by making sure the diamond''s grade was issued by GIA- is there a GIA report?

As far as dimensions, everyone''s advice is true- you can''t tell how an Asscher looks at all from the GIA report.
Mainly because the corners have so much to do with the overall look of the diamond- and tis is not indicated on a GIA report.

I can tell you that a branded Asscher will generally have a table below 60%- however- Many times a stone with a larger table looks like the smaller table stones because of the facets below the girdle reflecting up into the table- making the table appear smaller than it acutally is- thereby re-enforcing the "Asscher" look.

If you''d like to give us an idea of price, it would also give us more info to digest and give opinions on.

hope this helps!

mkbat

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to all for the great feedback. David, I appreciate your response, the stone is E.G.L. certified. After
all the reading I have done on pricescope I don''t feel comfortable with the Cert. I am taking the stone
to an independent Appraiser on Saturday to look at it. The stone itself it very pretty. I definately would
have preferred a smaller table, I did notice that there are not as many steps on the side of the stone
which is the best part of the Asscher and it''s what gives the stone sparkle. I did compromise the color
and the table size for a higher Carat weight. The Stone cost me 27,500.00.

I am really confused and I''m driving myself absolutely crazy. It''s hard to find a big size Asscher diamond
with a good everything for a price that I can afford.
33.gif

I will try to take a picture of the stone. It does sparkle nicely in certain lighting and looks pretty white
face up. In certain lighting I do see a tint of yellow looking at it from the side. I must say though
unfortunately I really do love the size!!
30.gif

Am I doing the wrong thing by keeping this stone?
40.gif
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again, Mona

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
What are the dimensions? The $5,500 per carat seems odd to me. The cheapest 5 carat on pricescope is still going for $6,927 per carat...25% more per carat than the diamond in question. I'm just a consumer, but this is either a good deal or a potential red flag since pricescope prices are supposed to be be lower than the norm. Maybe the price is right in line with your specs and I'm just missing something.

mkbat

Rough_Rock
Ratio is 1.01.

We purchased the ring from an owner of a jewlery store who my husband is friends with.
This is what makes this decision so hard. I am ashamed to keep doubting this guy.

Mona

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
But what are the L x W x D measurements?

mkbat

Rough_Rock
9.28 x 9.25 x 6.53

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very square. but does this seem small for a 5ct. stone?

mkbat

Rough_Rock
Sorry Belle,

I had the wrong dimensions here are the correct measuremets.

9.68 x 9.74.x 6.52

Also I took the diamond to an independent appraiser today (he was great) and he said that the stone
was right on target with the E.G.L. report.

I am now a proud owner of a 5.01 carat Asscher.

MK

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 5:30:57 PM
Author: mkbat
Sorry Belle,

I had the wrong dimensions here are the correct measuremets.

9.68 x 9.74.x 6.52

Also I took the diamond to an independent appraiser today (he was great) and he said that the stone

was right on target with the E.G.L. report.

I am now a proud owner of a 5.01 carat Asscher.

MK

Kewl!!
Congrates :}

HotHot

Rough_Rock
I think J is too yellow for Asscher cut or square cut diamonds. They show the color more than round diamonds.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your purchase!!! i bet it''s beautiful!!! please post pics!!!!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He, he! That's always good news, right ? I bet you love it... large diamonds are hard to hate, no ?

No idea if or how the color grade shows, of course - that has much to do with the cut of the stone (color is graded culet up, where optics do not count, there allot left to pinpoint the looks), and the setting. J ? Why not
35.gif
I'd be the last to discourage such a coice: it really is 2 carat higher-paper-grade over 5 carat lower-paper-grade when color alone makes for a subtle difference. The stones would be amazingly different - it feels weird to pronounce a winner between such different personalities... If I could convey the looks of such two things convncingly with a photo, I'd run a poll, but that would take a few more photography lessons
2.gif

Now, can we see it ?
1.gif

mkbat

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Trust me J was not my 1st choice. Again there are a few things that came in to play with my decision;

1. - Budget was $30,000.00 (This is an upgrade for my 15th Anniversary)
2. - I had to have an Asscher (Absolutely Love Them !!!)
3. - Asscher cuts just look soooo much smaller than any other cut (At this point in my life I wanted something that would be noticed).
4. - I origianlly wanted a 3ct. H-I with med. blue flourecence (That was within my budget)

On Christmas my husband presented my with a 3.5 ct. Asscher (VS1 H-I color with faint blue floucence) ideal cut in regards to Asscher numbers. When I 1st looked at it I the ring I thought it had a tint of yellow and I also did not like the setting which was a custom made copy of the Daniel K split prong setting. Well the setting did not come out well at all
39.gif
. When I called the jewler to tell him I told him what I thought of the ring. He said no problem where it for the holidays and he would search for another stone.with G-H color. Well let me tell you these Asscher babies are NOT easy to find. The stock is extremely limited. I have searched high and low.

My jeweler then called me last Tuesday and told me he had a couple of stones for me to look at. When I went to see
him he had me try on this 5 ct. ring (which I had absolutely nooooo intentions of buying) the stone was in a temporary setting for the holidays. I put that baby on and I fell in love!!
3.gif
Mind you that the lighting in these jewelery stores is ideal. The stone looked gorgeous and sparkled like crazy
10.gif
. It made the 3.5 carat look sick. Now even though the 5ct stone was a J color the 3.5 carat stone actually looked more yellow. I made the grave mistake and asked him the price and it came out to only $6000.00 more than the 3.5 carats.

Girls, I know you all know where I am coming from. This 5ct. diamond would not let me think like a sane person. I put
the balance on my credit card and left the store with the ring on my hand. The only thing I could thing of was that my
husband was going to kill me
29.gif
and my friends where going to think I was insane
32.gif
My mom and friends
all thought the ring was absolutely gorgeous and thought it looked sooo much better than the 3.5 carat. Now in all honestly
I would have loved if this stone was G-H in color but it looks beautiful and really the only time if shows a tint of yellow is
when I am in flourecent lighting. Otherwise this stone looks white. It faces up white and no one but me and probably alll of you would ever notice this tint. Believe me I have been fighting with my decision since Tuesday (sleepless nights
24.gif
and
toooo much time on pricesope). I have been obsessed
33.gif
but I have realized in life that I can''t always have what I want, I would like to drive a very expensive sports car, I would love to live in a mansion and I would love to be married to Brad Pitt. Unfortunely I am not wealthy nor do I look like Angelina Jolie. Sometimes we need to make compromises in our lives, be realistic and thank God for what we have. I am still fortunate enough to have a beautiful diamond that most women dream of having. In my wildest dreams I never thought that I would ever own a diamond like this
36.gif

Thank you all for your imput and advise
36.gif
. Your are all sooo very nice!!!

I do not own a digital camera, I just sent my husband out to buy one. I hope to post some pictures by the end of the day.

MK

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh this should be yummy. That pic I posted in the 2005 diamond goal thread was a 5.5 cartier asscher, yum!

i''m curious to know if you feel that the stone shows alot of color, do you have any RB stones to compare it to? i''d love a RHR asscher and would go J for budget purposes, but since a few have said they show more color, curious to know what you think.

congrats!

mkbat

Rough_Rock
Hello Mara,

Yes it does show some color. In the evening it looks very white but to me it looks a bit yellow in the daylight.
I am driving everyone around me absolutely nuts!! No one but me and my 11 yr. old daughter
sees the yellow. Would this bother you?

I need everyone''s opinion; Am I setteling?
Would there me a big difference in the color between an I and a J?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately i have only seen one asscher in person before so couldn''t really say on color....but the asscher i did see was something like an I or J I believe and it was stunningly beautiful! it was not a 5c, something like a 1.7c if i recall correctly, so in a smaller stone like that, the color possibly would not be as visible.

the larger the stone gets, the more the color would be visible, so in something like a 5c, you may see alot more color than in something like a 2c stone.

in terms of I to J...in a RB I would normally say it''s not a huge jump, but again with an asscher where the beauty of the stone is looking inside and really seeing the steps of the stone, you may catch more color that way as well as opposed to RB''s which have beauty that throw off ''flashes'' of color from sparkles so it may mask color more.

i''ve been eyeing the 2.84 J VS asscher in the expert selection of WF...not as though i have funds to buy it anytime soon but i wonder what it looks like in person. for a RHR i wouldn''t mind something having a bit more color than i would accept for an engagement ring, but without more knowledge of stones in person, it''s really hard to say!!

if you love it that is all that matters, and some people like a tinge of warmth to their stones. i wonder if the slight addition of color makes the stone seem more romantic, but i can see how some people like the icy whiteness combined with the beautiful step cut of the asscher as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results