shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kari

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an Asscher cut diamond 2.0-2.5 color g-h vs1-vs2 depth 62-66 table 62-66. I have been told not to buy EGL or a diamond that is not bonded. I live in the south and the only diamond that I have seen is an EGL Emerald Step Cut(is this considered an Asscher?) There are several jewelers that have said that they can get an Asscher but I am concerned that they are not familiar enough with this cut. Any ideas of where to look?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kari,----------------
I have been told not to buy EGL or a diamond that is not bonded.
---------------- Recognize Fred C. :) There were several posts here about his tactic…
----------
I live in the south and the only diamond that I have seen is an EGL Emerald Step Cut(is this considered an Asscher?) There are several jewelers that have said that they can get an Asscher but I am concerned that they are not familiar enough with this cut. Any ideas of where to look?
----------------
There is interesting information about history of Asscher family and Royal Asscher cut here:

Asscher invented and patented square emerald cut in 1902 there were different variations in faceting. Today Royal Asscher is a branded cut with 74 facets.

Today many square emeralds are called Asscher cut.

. You can try to contact them to find out where you could see the real Ascher in your area.

EGL USA NY claims to be very strict today. To be more certain you might want check the stone with independent appraiser.[/u][/u][/u][/u]

TheRock

Rough_Rock
Kari:

As Leonid has rightly pointed out, today's Asscher means a very different thing from the original (now called "antique Asscher" ) from the early part of this century. If I have my information right, here's the deal (and mind you, I'm no expert, just reporting what I've come across in my own research):

The original Asscher is a stepped square cut with a high crown and small table. What that translates into, with those cut corners, is what almost looks like a stop sign on top, even if it keeps a relatively square shape at the girdle. These are pretty hard to find, especially in very white stones with good clarity. They can be very costly and are prized by antique diamond collectors. Today's Asscher, also called the "modern Asscher" at least by the people I spoke with, is really just a square emerald cut. They aren't as expensive. The Royal Asscher, as Leo pointed out, is a branded square cut with more fire due to more pavilion facets. It's only available through licensed retailers and it's pricey.

For more info, go here:
http://www.chubbcollectors.com/Vacnews/index.jsp?form=2&ArticleId=25

Hope this helps!

--TheRock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results