shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcjazz87677

Rough_Rock
What about asscher cuts? My fiance'' likes them, but I''m not sure, since they are less brilliant than rounds. What does everyone think?

coarchitect

Rough_Rock
Do a search here on pricescope for both asscher and royal asscher. It will get you started.
1.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I think asschers are beatiful and they are currently the IN shape, having recently replaced the princess. A step cut is a very different look from the brilliant cut and usually women have a strong preference either way. It's a matter of personal taste, but be aware that many diamond retailers refer to the square emerald cut as an asscher and this is misleading. The asscher is a proprietary cut with very distinct faceting. There are also some generic asschers sold, but I'm not certain how they technically compare to the original.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This really is a matter of taste: not everyone likes round stones and step cuts (square, like the asscher or not) have their own look with broad light flashes that surely has enough appeal to draw sympathy. For quite a few shape is just as important as sparkle, and, of course, you can look for a particularly fiery Asscher too. If your fiancee likes step cuts knowing what she is missing (the light return of and ideal cut round) than I can totally understand her choice - it is also mine.

There are compromises out thre: branded square cuts that edge near a round's sparkle (Regent, Queen of Harts, Isee2 and HOF squares), but very few have step cut facets (Lucere). If there should be some tradeoff between sparkle and shape, it does not need to be a very harsh one... I guess.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
People like them because they look different and they look good, too. These old cut style diamonds have a distinctive look that has endured the test of time. Admittedly, they were out of style for a long period, but since they were sort of rediscovered, they are once again found to be pretty and popular for good reason.

They are generally deep, so they look small for their weight, but if you buy a sufficiently weighty one, you might brag a little about the unseen weight and enjoy a very attractive stone at the same time.

Beware of false "Asscher" cuts that are all over the place. A true Asscher or modern Royal Asscher is rather a special cut stone not exactly like a generic square emerald cut.

Dufarge

Rough_Rock
I have seen many discussions of the difference between a proper asscher cut and a generic square emerald cut. Can anyone point me to a picture of a regular square emerald that would help me to understand the difference in actual appearance (as opposed to the paper difference of higher crown, etc.)?

thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/18/2004 9:07:15 PM Dufarge wrote:

Can anyone point me to a picture of a regular square emerald that would help me to understand the difference in actual appearance (as opposed to the paper difference of higher crown, etc.)?

----------------

Unfortunately, the non-branded square emeralds vary allot in parameters, covering any kind of look from Haven to Hell... Some particularly fine examples can be found right here.

And This is one old Asscher cut
2.gif

The branded Royal Asscher is presented by the maker here

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results