shape
carat
color
clarity

"Asscher-cut Yellow Diamond Ring, ca. 1930"

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Is anyone surprised about the drop in valuation?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a lot of detail -- hard to tell how much of the valuation is as a near-antique vs resale value of the center stone.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Maybe the yellow diamond is graded more like FY instead of FIY? Ruth made it sound ultra impressive all those years ago! I do remember FYD was very popular a few years back...

Lovely setting and ring nonetheless.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I always wished my family had jewelry like this to hand down. I wonder if she sold it.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I always wished my family had jewelry like this to hand down...

Yes, it's a romantic idea...

That's ok, we are big girls and can manage our own finance to fund our expensive hobby! :mrgreen:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I always wished my family had jewelry like this to hand down. I wonder if she sold it.

Me too!!! I'd love to wear a piece of jewelry that my grandmother or great grandmother wore. Sigh. Like @Rad_Fan said, I'll just have to buy my own.

None of the females in my biological family are interested at all in jewelry. My mom doesn't even own an engagement ring! She never desired one.

My mother-in-law is on the opposite end of the spectrum. She hoards jewelry, but unfortunately she believes in mass quantity over quality. Her closet looks like someone robbed all the Kay Jewlers in the state of California and stashed the "loot" in her bedroom. I'm sorry if that doesn't sound charitable of me, but it is so difficult to watch her spend literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on absolute junk. She doesn't even receive any pleasure out of wearing it either. She just loves the thrill of shopping. It makes my husband very sad to watch her do this.

Sorry for the off-topic vent. I've had a very bad day and am feeling generally frustrated.

Last edited:

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Me too!!! I'd love to wear a piece of jewelry that my grandmother or great grandmother wore. Sigh. Like @Rad_Fan said, I'll just have to buy my own.

None of the females in my biological family are interested at all in jewelry. My mom doesn't even own an engagement ring! She never desired one.

My mother-in-law is on the opposite end of the spectrum. She hoards jewelry, but unfortunately she believes in mass quantity over quality. Her closet looks like someone robbed all the Kay Jewlers in the state of California and stashed the "loot" in her bedroom. I'm sorry if that doesn't sound charitable of me, but it is so difficult to watch her spend literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on absolute junk. She doesn't even receive any pleasure out of wearing it either. She just loves the thrill of shopping. It makes my husband very sad to watch her do this.

Sorry for the off-topic vent. I've had a very bad day and am feeling generally frustrated.

That’s interesting, I never understood why people would by bulk cheap jewelry when they could have fewer but better quality jewelry.
My mom likes jewelry and has some nice pieces and my grandma loved jewelry but it’s costume (they didn’t have a lot of money and had lots of kids lol) but I love her costume pieces.
My sister doesn’t wear any and doesn’t like jewelry, I can’t understand it. lol

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Not at all. I love hearing different opinions. To be honest, I feel good to be able to purchase my own pieces and wear what I like.

Sometimes heirloom comes with "baggage"...lol

One thing I try to do is not buy multiple small pieces but save up for something more unique and special. It's tempting to spend a little here/there and end up with loads of crappy pieces in the long run. JMHO.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
One thing I try to do is not buy multiple small pieces but save up for something more unique and special. It's tempting to spend a little here/there and end up with loads of crappy pieces in the long run. JMHO.

Exactly! This is me too!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Now that's a treasure chest!

I wish a bunch of us PSers lived near each other and could meet up for "playing with our sparkles" parties where we tried on each other's jewelry or go jewelry browsing at flagship stores like Oscar Heyman's or Graff or Mikimoto, or vintage lovelies like Lange, etc. Would be so much fun.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this!! GAWD!!!! How awesome to see their treasures in the making!!!

No, I haven't found the perfect vintage OH & B piece yet that's within budget. So keep a look out for me! ;)2

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
The mystery setting is also :kiss2:...the color!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results