shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut diamond, newbie needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shaygirl

Rough_Rock
This is my first post, and I have to say that I was very excited to find this site!

I''m looking to upgrade my wedding set. I''ve falled in love with the Asscher cut and I''ve been finding a lot of different information so I''m not sure what to think about the following diamond. It looks like the cut may be a bit deep, and I''m a little concerned about the color (would be set in white gold). Would love to hear what you guys think...

Square Emerald Cut
6.14*6.07*4.66mm
1.49 carats
Depth: 76.8%
Table: 69%
Girdle: THK to VTK
Culet: None
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G
Clarity: VVS2
Color: I
Flourescence: None

Price: $5600

Thanks!

asscher shaygirl.jpg

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Im not expert, but that looks like a horribly cut asscher...and its from ebay so beware.

-G

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Shay. This could be a pretty stone, but it is more of a square emerald cut than a classic Asscher cut.

The classic Asscher cut has more dramatic cut corners to it, giving it a outline that leans towards a "stop sign" sort of look.

The dramatic cut corner facets travel down to the center of the stone giving it a "windmill like" reflection pattern.

The other striking characteristics of an Asscher which give it it's "fire" are a high crown and small table.

The stone you're looking at has the smaller cut corners, larger table and lower crown typical of emerald cuts.

If you take a look at the modern Royal Asscher cut, it will give you the idea. The Royal Asscher has more facets on the pavilion, but the classic look is still there.

http://www.royalasscher.com/

The price seems "okay" on the stone you're looking at, and the depth is greater than the table size, which usually produces more life than if the reverse were true. A properly graded I color stone will look fine in white gold.

For any more info than that, we'd need the crown height and pavilion depth percentages, which you could get with a Sarin report, Megascope report, or gemologist's assessment.

shaygirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, in looking at more Asschers I am noticing a difference in the cuts, but still not sure what is "better/best".

Anyone have any thoughs on the following stone...
http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12274080/index.htm

$6080 for a 1.37 VS2 H

Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome (and knowledgable!!!)

asscher from niceice2.JPG

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The one you found on ebay is from a reputable seller, so don't worry abou that. It doesn't look very nice to me, though. The center-table area looks too dark. Also, it's a simple common square emerald and not even close to the real thing.
The second is from niceice... They're highly recognized and are very well known. They post on this board so I'm sure they'll chime in and help you.
It looks faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than the first... A LOT closer to a Royal Asscher! Also, the numbers look real good to me. Sound a winner.
1.gif
1.gif

shaygirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I really like the second stone, I am just totally nervous about purchasing a diamond on the internet. I've never actually seen an asscher cut in real life (just photos, and I've still fallen in love!).

love.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Shaygirl,

Since you're referencing one of our Asscher cut diamonds, we think it's okay to step in here and answer a few of your questions, specifically the one about being nervous about buying a diamond off of the internet... You "should" be nervous about buing a diamond sight unseen off of eBay via auction because "some" of those items are sold unconditionally without the option of being able to return the item if you don't like it. However, most of the diamond dealers here on PS, including ourselves, offer reasonable inspection periods and refund policies which make it possible for you to purchase a diamond without having to worry about whether you like it or not... If you don't like the diamond, all you have to do is contact us within the terms of our inspection period http://www.niceice.com/guarantee.htm and we will assist you with returning the item to us for a refund and if you don't feel that we stand behind our return policy adequatley you can "fry us" here on PS and it will cost us more than you might imagine...

Regarding the total depth of the first diamond you mentioned, it seems a bit too deep for us, but we'd like you to consult one of the indepenent gemologists here on PS (see the appraisers link located in the upper right corner of this page) or refer to Richard Sherwood who has already provide you with some advice regarding this matter because we sell the Asscher cut diamonds and feel that our advice in this matter might seem like a sales pitch rather than advice...

Happy Hunting
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Much better, Shay. That's the classic Asscher look. Appropriate outline, reflection pattern and proportions.

Gorgeous stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results