shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cut - 79% Depth - Any Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minky

Rough_Rock
Dear All
Can any help me with my near concluding search for an ASSCHER stone. I am based in the UK and to say the supply is thin does not do my search justice. There are hardly NO asscher stones avail. However, I have just seen a 3.50 carat F colour VS2 Asscher, GIA certificated, no flourescenece, very good polish ans symmetry today - BUT - here''s the sticking point - a depth of 79% *************** Does anyone have an opinion on this ??????????????? Is this too deep ? I am plannng on having set with 2 x 0.25 tapered baguettes but before I do the deal want to be sure of this ''DEEP'' depth and what the practical implications of this may be................................

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well...one of the implications will be that you are paying big $$$ for the 3.50ct. when it is going to be the size of a diamond much smaller. this means you could pay significantly less for a diamond of the same SIZE dimension wise, that is less carat weight.
or, if you just have money to burn and you love this one....go for it.
2.gif

minky

Rough_Rock
thanks very much belle, understand what you are saying. We have only found 2 stones 3 carat + in the UK, a 3.03 carat and 3.50 carat, both the same quality and also the same $$$$$ - seems crazy but we have researched thoroughly and the size/depth of the larger stone really appears to be the only diff......thanks again for the advice though

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure that Storm will pipe in here, but here''s what little I (think) I know..

The older, original asschers were often much deeper than more modern stones. This does mean, of course, that the stone will face up smaller than most modern asschers of similar carat weight.

BUT I think that great depth can add to the beauty of the stone. I have an inherited "asscher" with a depth of 71%. It was cut in the ''20s=""30s. It is utterly utterly beautiful...I think because of its greater depth.

If you love it, and it speaks to you, and you''re OK with the visual size, then I say go for it!!!

widget

PS: Can you post pictures??

minky

Rough_Rock
19.gif
widget, thx v much, the stone is still with the dealer (we are in the UK) as only had the first viewing today, should we go ahead with the deal I will absolutely put up some piccies, both of the stone and hopefully the finished product ring !! These are the exact proportions of the ring....any thoughts on the table ???????

GIA Cert
Size: 3.50
Colour: F
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 8.26 x 8.28
Depth: 79%
Table: 80%
Culet: None
Girdle: Thick to very thick
Flur: None
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am far from an expert but that table seems HUGE to me as well. And for a stone that carat weight, the measurement seems small.

The table on my asscher is 72% (my husband surprised me with it) and I was originally worried the table was too BIG but after posting here and after wearing my ring I fell in love with the stone. Besides, returning it was not an option becuase it was a gift and would have hurt my husband. Besides, I love the stone and it has lots of fire.

So, that being said, my 72% table is fine, but many who posted thought that even 72% souned a bit large. 80% is huge.

Is it a pretty stone, does it have life? Do you love how it looks?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 11:43:31 AM
Author: minky
19.gif
widget, thx v much, the stone is still with the dealer (we are in the UK) as only had the first viewing today, should we go ahead with the deal I will absolutely put up some piccies, both of the stone and hopefully the finished product ring !! These are the exact proportions of the ring....any thoughts on the table ???????

GIA Cert
23.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
19.gif

GIA Cert
Depth could be fine, depends on the crown height...
But if the 80% table is for real..., do not touch this stone, beware!!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: DiaGem

Depth could be fine, depends on the crown height...
But if the 80% table is for real..., do not touch this stone, beware!!!!
Yeah, that table figure is pretty startling.

The deep old stone I referred to in my post above has a table % of 61...

widget

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
I really hope that Storm does chim in. I have a feeling he will have specific thoughts on it. My husband was orginally looking for an asscher that was 3-3.5 carats. After the search began we realized we wanted a stone that looked like an average 3 carat stone would look but realized to accomplish that we would have to up our carat weight. We ended up with a 4.21 asscher. I think the key is to understand the coreect and acceptable proportions and then accept the fact taht you will not find your stone overnight. We searched for 6 months. My husband even went as far as proposing without a diamond ring since the timing for the proposal was right, but the stone was still 4 months from being found. It was the best decison we made to wait it out for the right stone for us and take the trusted advice from all those that contribute to PS. Have you looked at James Allen? I was doiing a search yesterday on there for asscher studs and they seemed to have several matched piars of 6 carat tw....Not sure what they have on individulas, but I was hsocked at what my search came back with.

Good Luck!

P.S. If you want to review any of what my husband went through you can check under Orange_horse or under my orange_horse_fiance

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GIA Cert

Look.. much is in the proverbial eye of the beholder etc., but I suspect that liking this one over most other square emerald cuts has much to do with the limited selection, so to speak
12.gif

I would have gladly put up with the depth and (more or less) smaller looks if the rest of the proportions came anywhere near my image of an asscher (say, 79%depth & 50% table or so, 20%-ish crown etc.)

Sure enough, I have not seen this one and if it is the one diamond you prefer on the face of the planet, so be it - good for you. However, that is better established after seeing a bunch of gems. Since this is a matter of cut, inspecting smaller diamonds or vastly different grades would still be informative ''learning material''. Especially since it does not sound probable to find a stash of a dozen or so 3cts F/VS asschers to look at.

My 2c.

... and an example of the ''look'' I mentioned: LINK

minky

Rough_Rock
Could someone please explain the perils of an 80% table - I know from all your help and threads it is not good but I am not sure why.........any explanation much welcomed..............

minky

Rough_Rock
thanks eveyone for the feedback so far, could someone help on one (more) specific Q - I know an 80% table isnt good but do not understand (maybe technically) why this is so ???? - could someone shed some light on this...many thanks.....and sry if I have asked this specific Q before....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2006 2:10:31 PM
... explanation much welcomed..............

These guys look rather dull compared to the small-tabled cousins (bad 'scintillation' - looking more like a mirror, which is not what most look for about diamonds). And then. with such a large table, the crown must have no height at all - for once, most of the diamond gets sunk in the setting never to be seen again (from the side) and the girdle gets very exposed to chipping.

Now, a fragile girdle can always be wrapped in a bezel, but that could be quite a feat with such a deep stone (relatively difficult to set in traditional designs) and a closed setting would irremediably darken the stone.

Sorry for the 'theory' - I would much rather have a 3D scan or something to talk about, but as is...

Anyway, such proportions usually come with a discount - whether that applies to a rather expensive stone depends on the seller. For smaller diamonds it would be the case. And not just in the US.

Besides, it may be the case that no more than 2 diamonds were found in the shops nearby, but that should not be a problem - diamonds are routinely shipped back and forth between sellers all over the world, and there seem to be a reasonable number of options out there.

... as far as I know. I like Asschers, but this doesn't make my advice professional by all means. If you wanted expert advice, an appraiser should make allot better help.
34.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was going to say that it would look much like a chunk of broken glass you might find on the street, but ana''s explanation was much better.
2.gif

do try and look at as many stones as you can, as ana suggested. even if they are much smaller than what you are ultimately looking for. at least you may have a better chance at finding some good specimens to compare with and understand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results