shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut, 3 step, 4 step, 5 step pavilions

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Help me make some sense out of the 3, 4, and rarely 5 step pavilion asscher cuts. I see mostly 4 steps in the marketplace. What are the benefits and drawbacks to the 3 step? I notice the octavia has a 3 step pavilion and I tend to be drawn to a 3 step asscher appearance but not sure if there are drawbacks to this. Thanks!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are none really, its all about the right angles in the right places.
kicken asschers can be cut with any of them, so can poor ones.
In the broader market 3 step pavilions are more common.
There is a large cutter using 4 that is partnered with one of the PS dealers that is also
a trade wholesaler that skews the perception in the PS arena.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would I be correct in thinking the 5-step Royal Asschers would give smaller, more frequent flashes of white light but less coloured light return, in the same way that OECs and similar cuts with large facets give broad pastel flashes rather than the pinfire flashes of the eightstar and similar round cuts? :confused:

And extending that logic... would that be the reason that the 3-step Octavia has such excellent fire? :sun:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OoohShiny|1477146478|4089521 said:
Would I be correct in thinking the 5-step Royal Asschers would give smaller, more frequent flashes of white light but less coloured light return, in the same way that OECs and similar cuts with large facets give broad pastel flashes rather than the pinfire flashes of the eightstar and similar round cuts? :confused:

And extending that logic... would that be the reason that the 3-step Octavia has such excellent fire? :sun:
No, it is not that easy with step cuts than it is with rounds.
You can make the different facet designs mimic each other depending on location and angle.
With OEC and RB designs the facets are tied into one position not so with step cuts.
The major difference between an oec and an rb are the lower halve lengths they are still tied into the same location on the stone.
The size changes but not the position.
In an RB design the lower halves drive much of the light return, where in an OEC the mains drive most of the light return.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/do_pavilion_mains_drive_light_return_modern_round_brilliant

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I think it is best to just choose the Asscher stone that you love looking at the most. It does not matter whether it is going to be a 3, 4 or 5 point pavilion, there are going to be breathtakng stones in every category. So, go with what you love!

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I find I have been more drawn to the 3 step pavilion stones' appearance but the traditional asscher is 5 steps so I was just wondering if the 3 step pavilion has a downside to it. In reality I'd love a larger Octavia. I love a small table and higher crown :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The original Asscher Asscher was 3 steps crown 3 pavilion patented in 1902 and had a smallish table and high crown.
The Royal Asscher is 5 pavilion, patented in 2001 by members of the Asscher family.
The reality is pretty much every number of steps has been tried over the years.
I have heard rumblings of one with a 8 step pavilion and samples of 6/6 are not unknown but extremely rare.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To agree with Karl's assessment- unfortunately you can't judge Asscher cut stones based on how many steps there are. Clever placement of the steps create optical illusions so that sometimes a 3 step can look like it has more steps.

SpencerDane said:
I think it is best to just choose the Asscher stone that you love looking at the most. It does not matter whether it is going to be a 3, 4 or 5 point pavilion, there are going to be breathtakng stones in every category. So, go with what you love!
+1 to this as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results