shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher candidate received - video, aset images, and, of course, some questions

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I got my latest asscher candidate in the mail, and I'm looking for prosumer and expert feedback on the video and ASETS that I took. I posted the seller's ASET image earlier, and being a newb, mine didn't turn out as good, but I did a face-up and four more with the stone tilted as far as it would go and still stay in the acrylic viewing plate depression (I'm afraid I didn't have time to measure the angle).
Compile.jpg
tilted asets.jpg

Before I link to the video, I noticed something that I haven't noticed before in other candidates, and maybe it's because I haven't looked at them like this, but when I let the stone lay on its pavilion edge on the light board, I noticed I could see right through it. The more I moved my head toward the culet while it was laying like this, the larger this window became. Is this a normal thing, or something to be concerned about? Here's what that looked like:
Pavilion Side.jpg

And, without further ado, here is a little video I made outside this morning, under natural, but cloudy, light.

Just linking some folks who have expressed interest in this process or who's opinion has been suggested to me: @Karl_K @diagem @Rhino @Matthews1127 @princessandthepear @whitewave @av @diamondseeker2006

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
View it at a greater distance to see how it looks in a pendant than in the video.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I was trying to think of a way I could set it up for distance viewing, but I was short on time. Had to slip away "to work" to even open the package.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!! I, honestly, find nothing I don’t like about this stone!!
What do YOU think? Does it perform to your expectations, IRL??

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my latest asscher candidate in the mail, and I'm looking for prosumer and expert feedback on the video and ASETS that I took. I posted the seller's ASET image earlier, and being a newb, mine didn't turn out as good, but I did a face-up and four more with the stone tilted as far as it would go and still stay in the acrylic viewing plate depression (I'm afraid I didn't have time to measure the angle).
Compile.jpg
tilted asets.jpg

Before I link to the video, I noticed something that I haven't noticed before in other candidates, and maybe it's because I haven't looked at them like this, but when I let the stone lay on its pavilion edge on the light board, I noticed I could see right through it. The more I moved my head toward the culet while it was laying like this, the larger this window became. Is this a normal thing, or something to be concerned about? Here's what that looked like:
Pavilion Side.jpg

And, without further ado, here is a little video I made outside this morning, under natural, but cloudy, light.

Just linking some folks who have expressed interest in this process or who's opinion has been suggested to me: @Karl_K @diagem @Rhino @Matthews1127 @princessandthepear @whitewave @av @diamondseeker2006

To clarify:
Is this the stone in the video that you posted in your previous thread?

6771C217-A5D9-4DE6-8B87-C91215CE2F72.png

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
To clarify:
Is this the stone in the video that you posted in your previous thread?

Yes, this is the same one. I'm going to compare it with one that a local jeweler has on hold for me tomorrow, but I think it might be hard to beat, at least of the ones I've been personally shown to date.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty. I would like it if I was looking for a modern asscher. Love all the steps, and that they are relatively even. Congratulations!! You got a nice one.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
What are your thoughts/opinions, IRL?

I definitely think it's pretty. My local jeweler has narrowed his search to one stone, and I'm going to be comparing them side-by-side tomorrow. He doesn't know I'm bringing in some competition, though, so I'm trying to think about the best way to bring it up. I guess just show up with it?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
This is a gorgeous asscher!! Lucky lady!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I guess just show up with it?

Yours is an attractive bechmark... I cannot know if the local shop may come up with anything more attractive, once you let them try. There certainy are surprising options everywhere (it is an interesting cut!).

2p

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WOW. someone is gunna be happy!.... :-p

i dont know your full story.i dont know your full story with the local jeweler...but, i would be honest...

tell them that you want the best stone and you have done some online shopping/ research.
and you want to compare with what you have learned and seen to what they have in store.
You took a chance on a stone you saw on line with great optics.....and can i compare it with your stone?

I am sure they know you are super keen on getting THE rock... so, they would be trying their hardest to get that stone for you, and they 'should' be ok for you to compare with a stone of YOUR choosing.

If not, then it would be an easy decision for you to know where to go to have your stone set- elsewhere.

good luck.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings @Venzen007

My thoughts... The ASET's are notably different. The vendors showing good red from the table down to the girdle yet very little under the table and notable whites. Your ASET primarily blue under the table.

In this scenario I'd have to side with the vendors as they are likely a tad more experienced than you in taking ASET's. ;-)

Having said that ... the video, while helpful is not conclusive for me in that it is taken against a flat white background which would mask leakage. When diamonds have leakage under the table (or anywhere for that matter) you can literally see *through* the stone. In the same lighting/viewing conditions it could show up as much but against a white background a little easier to confuse with what we may perceive as white light return. When I'm dropping the bucks I prefer to eliminate any doubt. Ie. Shoot a similar video, pull the camera back a bit more like Karl suggested and against a neutral backdrop. That would give us a more accurate perspective.

All the best,
Rhino

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I'll do just that and post soon, though, so you know, my video equipment consists of an iPad. I may try something else I have.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok ASETs
First:
Yours is the more accurate ASET the vendors ASET the diamond is into the scope far to much.
It also has the colors boosted in post processing,
Second:
Blue in ASET means nada in a pendant. The viewing distance represented in ASET is aprox 10 inches the viewing distance in a pendant is in feet.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When viewing candidates for a pendant stone look at them at full arm length not at a close distance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results