carat
color
clarity

Asscher Assistance Please!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow PSers!

I am working on a ring project and need a small Asscher cut center stone (approx 4.8mm-5mm x 4.8mm-5mm). I was looking at one that seemed perfect, then poof! It was gone. Please help me find one with the ff specs:
Type: Natural Diamond
Price: <$2500
Color: G and up (lower if has flour?) - the side stones are G
LWR: As close to 1 as possible
Clarity: VS2 +
Cut/Polish/Symmetry: Very Good +
Cert: GIA/AGS

I have been looking on Rare Carat and JA and found a bunch of stones with these specs, but realize I have no clue what to look for really, haha.

Please let me know if you need additional details, thank you in advance for helping me! My husband is gifting me this ring for our 10 years together :kiss2: (and the setting is taking up most of the budget :twisted2:)!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
As an asscher owner I have two suggestions: don't go below g color, given your side stones; and pick your diamond based on the cut that *you* prefer with respect to corners, windmills, l/w ratio, level of symmetry, and contrast in facets. If you pick a few diamonds then other people here can give you advice on light return, check for mushy facets and help you pick the best one in that respect, if that is the type of advice you want.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the feedback! I will search for some diamonds and post here for advice!

As an asscher owner I have two suggestions: don't go below g color, given your side stones; and pick your diamond based on the cut that *you* prefer with respect to corners, windmills, l/w ratio, level of symmetry, and contrast in facets. If you pick a few diamonds then other people here can give you advice on light return, check for mushy facets and help you pick the best one in that respect, if that is the type of advice you want.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some examples of what I am attracted to. Are any of these problematic? I would like to know what to look out for/avoid.

539715C6-2674-4C60-B6A1-333BC0A216D1.jpeg
F73FCC6F-378F-4D14-A89B-B85553696E55.jpeg
34131B88-A55D-4D43-8B33-B603C86C532E.jpeg
60368288-49C8-4330-B377-00CF09C8A85E.jpeg

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Can you post the links with them? They need to be evaluated while moving. For example that last one looks like the center might be dead / have some light leakage (I feel like I can see too much of the background behind the stone but a video would help confirm)

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post the links with them? They need to be evaluated while moving. For example that last one looks like the center might be dead / have some light leakage (I feel like I can see too much of the background behind the stone but a video would help confirm)

1. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.70-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-14772681
2. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-14724151
3. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.71-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-15185097
4. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.70-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-14253201

Thank you @EClove !

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Of these, the only one I would consider is #1. I say that because when I watch the videos, the others have less "movement' of the facets. I look for lots of light movement in asschers, and the other choices have facets that are always "off". Are you open to alternatives? What is your budget?

Edit: you gave your budget above, my bad!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some alternatives that I like. Note that I always watch them rotate to see how "lively" they are. I also tend to like more "contrasty" stones, which isnt everyone's preference.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
#1 the .70 above light performance in the video looks very promising with a nice high crown, however the girdle is huge eating a lot of spread.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are some alternatives that I like. Note that I always watch them rotate to see how "lively" they are. I also tend to like more "contrasty" stones, which isnt everyone's preference.

They are not overly contrasty and are good options.
The strong blue of the second one some like and some dont.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much @lovedogs ! I like the 0.72 you posted - do you think I color (vs G color side stones) will be an issue? It will have a colored gemstone halo separating it from the diamond sidestones...

#1 the .70 above light performance in the video looks very promising with a nice high crown, however the girdle is huge eating a lot of spread.

Thanks @Karl_K ! I see it now...very thick girdle!

They are not overly contrasty and are good options.
The strong blue of the second one some like and some dont.

Awesome...thank you for the feedback!

EClove

Shiny_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would 100% trust @Karl_K's assessments - he helped me immensely when evaluating my emerald cut.

I like this one and I think it's in budget, but I too like more contrasty stones: https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.75-ct-E-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Asscher-Diamond/D50239064?rfr=search

And I like this one if you like the thicker diagonal facets (I don't remember what those are called - sorry!) https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.70-ct-D-VVS2-Excellent-Cut-Asscher-Diamond/D50241740?rfr=search

like the second one a lot, crown height is not as high as the others under consideration above but appears high enough to work well.
The first you have to be cautious of dark center areas an this one is showing signs of issues.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
We all hope to see what you do with it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, congrats!!!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We all hope to see what you do with it.

Will definitely share, thank you for the encouragement to stare at what Karl likes ;-)

Have you tried Blue Nile? Their videography is quite different but you get used to it.

I have not- will remember for next time!

Yay, congrats!!!

Thank you!! Appreciate your input in this thread as well…helped me understand what to look for! :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrates!!!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Way, way, way pretty ring. Love the Asscher you chose and the setting! Great vibe.
Hand shots?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
That looks gorgeous!!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Turned out really well. Love how the side stones have a different cut but you still keep with the overall step theme with the shape of the metal.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh this is just lovely. Congratulations on 10 years and what a way to celebrate with that beautiful ring.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Turned out really well. Love how the side stones have a different cut but you still keep with the overall step theme with the shape of the metal.
Thank you @oncrutchesrightnow ! I’m a fan of clean lines and DK hit this one out of the ballpark! So pleased it all works together!

Ohhhhh this is just lovely. Congratulations on 10 years and what a way to celebrate with that beautiful ring.

Thank you so much @foxinsox - it has been a beautiful 10 years, so happy we could commemorate it with this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results