shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher ASET - surely this must the "The One"??? help needed please....

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I decided to have one final attempt to to choose an asscher that really has the wow-factor. This one has a depth of only 64% which I wasnt sure would translate to the best light performance, but according to the ASET it looks to be very bright. The table is 61% and I have seen a side profile showing a nice crown height and a bulge-free pavilion that is hiding no "junk in the trunk".

Apparently this ASET was done on a white background. I have one concern which is the grey/ green area towards the centre of the image, just outside of the red area around the culet. @Karl_K or other asscher experts - is this going to be an area of light leakage to drive me nuts (and look extra dull compared with the bright light return from the outer 2/3 of the stone)? Or could it be that I have finally found "the one"?

20210113_174617a.jpg 1610558206657blob-1.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up close video?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have any other pictures?
It looks big time hazy in those pictures.
The photo is actually from the GIA report check document online.
Up close video?

Sorry, forgot to add the link to my original post. :doh: Here it is:

I know that I is a little low in colour for an asscher but I was OK with the last H I saw so I'm hoping that this I will still look white enough for my liking.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it doesn't look hazy in the JA video but agree that it looks hazy in the other pic on the grey background.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Post the gia report pls.
I think I see it in the video but not sure.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
To my untrained eye it looks a little off. Very nice but not ‘the one’. Something about how the facets in the middle light up.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondhoarder you always find beautiful interesting cuts!

Do you know what inscription is stated in the gia report?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder you always find beautiful interesting cuts!

Do you know what inscription is stated in the gia report?

I think the inscription is just a reference to the fact it was mined in South Africa. They also filed a photo of the original rough crystal with GIA as well which was quite cool to see.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I think the inscription is just a reference to the fact it was mined in South Africa. They also filed a photo of the original rough crystal with GIA as well which was quite cool to see.

Wow. I didn't realise the gia report sometimes file the original rough crystal too!

Is this going to be a ring? Can't wait to see your next project! :kiss2:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. I didn't realise the gia report sometimes file the original rough crystal too!

Is this going to be a ring? Can't wait to see your next project! :kiss2:

I didnt realise that either! I was just fiddling about with GIA report check and I found it at the bottom of the report.

1610567756532.png 1610567796310.png

And yes, it will be a ring, if I can ever find myself a perfect asscher :D

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I didnt realise that either! I was just fiddling about with GIA report check and I found it at the bottom of the report.

1610567756532.png 1610567796310.png

And yes, it will be a ring, if I can ever find myself a perfect asscher :D

Wow! Thanks for posting! Seeing how it beautifully and magnificently emerges from a raw rough crystal really makes my heart go nuts!

Please let us know if you are indeed going ahead with this purchase.. I cant wait to see how this beauteous diamond will turn out as a ring.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask them to have someone look at it to make sure but as Garry said it should be clean.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks nice to me, at VS1 with a crystal as the main grade maker it should not be hazy!

Ask them to have someone look at it to make sure but as Garry said it should be clean.

Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut) and @Karl_K , I wouldn't have expected haziness either, but I will certainly ask for it to be checked. The photo is a detail made available on the online report via the GIA report check tool, there may be an issue with the photo resolution making it look hazy? I assume it was provided by the cutter, as there is also a photo of the rough, showing the before and after. Is this a common feature now with more recently cut diamonds? It was quite a surprise when I found it hiding at the bottom of the report.

Aside from the haziness question do you have any comments on the light return based on the video and ASET? In particular should I expect lower performance in the grey/ green area towards the centre of the image, just outside of the red area around the culet? Does it look as though the P3 angle is good enough to avoid a dull central area in an otherwise bright stone?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For step cuts I like ASET black as Aset/white over shows leakage by about a factor of 5-10.
It is also not positioned well in the scope.
Its all about patterns and this appears to have good patterns and flashes quickly when moved with no dead zones.
Its well worth a look in person.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For step cuts I like ASET black as Aset/white over shows leakage by about a factor of 5-10.
It is also not positioned well in the scope.
Its all about patterns and this appears to have good patterns and flashes quickly when moved with no dead zones.
Its well worth a look in person.

Great, thanks Karl_K, maybe this one will be the winner :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. It's almost impossible to find perfect, but it may be a really nice one! When you see this stone in real life size, I think you won't detect much leakage because the facets are tiny compared to these highly magnified photos.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it. It's almost impossible to find perfect, but it may be a really nice one! When you see this stone in real life size, I think you won't detect much leakage because the facets are tiny compared to these highly magnified photos.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go for it, but now there will be a 3 week wait to see if it lives up to expectations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results