shape
carat
color
clarity

asking to see the GIA code?

a03b

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this is probably a needless worry but after ordering a diamond online, when I'm at the store to pick up, is it OK for me to ask to see the GIA code inside the diamond? Just want to be sure I'm getting the diamond I ordered.

Thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a03b|1461646618|4023624 said:
Hi all, this is probably a needless worry but after ordering a diamond online, when I'm at the store to pick up, is it OK for me to ask to see the GIA code inside the diamond? Just want to be sure I'm getting the diamond I ordered.

Thanks
Yes, always ask to see the #s...The #s on the girdle should match the #s on the GIA report.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel shy about asking them to show you, if they don't first volunteer to do so. But fyi not every GIA-graded diamond is inscribed. If GIA did inscribe it, that will be noted on the lab report, under the Comments heading.

a03b

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. Will do that definitely.

So let me explain my situatuon. i will have to buy the diamond online and pick-up at their physical stores. What else should i do during pickup? i guess taking the gia certificate obviously, what else? Open to any recommendations

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
1000% ask to see the GIA, get the official GIA paperwork at same time...
I ordered online and was shipped to me. Trusted PS vendor. Never can be too safe. Checked all diamonds to verify GIA. Never know.

Keep in mind a Diamond can be inscribed with a fake serial number. Unless you know the jeweler where you will be picking up the diamond, it could never hurt to run it past an indeoendant diamond appraiser to verify it is what it is.

I did this with my first, loose, 2ct diamond (I kind of believe it was a waste of my $60). I disagreed with some comments she made (IE feather doesn't interfere with light when I questioned it's sparkle)- BUT she DID verify the price was fair and it was the diamond on the GIA report. This was important. I ended up swapping out the diamond for anotherw same vendor. I didn't being the new diamomd back to the IA. I trusted the vendor and just verified the GIA # with a microscope from work and again, tried to just match the imperfections to the plot.

Never hurts to CYA as much as you can. Just for your own peace of mind. Best of luck! So exiting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results