shape
carat
color
clarity

Asking for help on prices of two diamonds, specs included

miscke79

Rough_Rock
I have been talking with my local jeweler for the past couple of months designing an engagement ring. My biggest challenge so far has been deciding between a round and oval diamond for the center stone. I have narrowed it down to two stones, and I am hoping to post the specs from the grading report to get additional opinions on whether the prices are reasonable.

Through all of my research, I have read that round diamonds are more expensive than ovals. For the setting that I am going with, I prefer the look of an oval diamond. However, the ovals that I have been shown are more expensive that rounds of similar specs. The jeweler says it is because ovals are in such a high demand right now.

I attached the specs below for the two diamonds as an attachment image. I have seen both diamonds in person. Side by side, the round does have a little tint of yellow (I’m weary of the EGL-USA rating, though the diamond is beautiful in person and completely eye clean). The oval has no bowtie at all that is visible and is also eye clean (I prefer the GIA rating over EGL-USA of course.)

I really appreciate any comments or feedback that you all have on the price point!

round_oval.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Asking for help on prices of two diamonds, specs include

1. GIA grades colour and clarity more accurately than EGL
2. What are the other cut specifications on the round? (pavilion, crown, table, depth, etc)
3. Cannot judge the cut aka sparkliness of the oval without seeing the diamond.

miscke79

Rough_Rock
Re: Asking for help on prices of two diamonds, specs include

After seeing renderings of the ring using the oval diamond, I am deciding I want to go with the oval shape over a round stone. I was able to get more specs on the oval that I am considering (same oval as above in the chart).

Depth: 56.20
Table: 56.00
Measurements: 8.72x6.37x3.58

I am mainly looking for peace of mind that I am not overpaying for the oval. I have seen it in person, and it is a beautiful stone and has zero visible bowtie. Side by side with a brilliant cut round, it does not have the same fire and sparkle, which I know is understandable. My only concern is that the depth of 56.20 is a little shallow and is reducing the brilliance compared to over ovals.

What are your opinions of the above specs. Has anyone had an oval that was a little shallow like this that still showed excellent brilliance/sparkle? Would a depth of 56.20 alone be enough to deter you from buying?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results