shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET scope image with blue lens??

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. Incredible stuff here.

I have this ASET scope image that supposedly uses a blue lens. I've never seen this before. Is this legit? How do I even interpret this?

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 125

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats not an aset image. Looks like an H&A viewer that we usually see in red but blue, red, dont think it matters.

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
Thats not an aset image. Looks like an H&A viewer that we usually see in red but blue, red, dont think it matters.

Thank you. Should I be concerned that I asked for ASET and this is what I get?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASETscope image would be more useful, but H&A viewer is not that dissimilar from an IdealScope (I think??) so it may be possible to identify leakage from it.

Do you have the diamond angles etc? Have you run it through the HCA tool?

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
ASETscope image would be more useful, but H&A viewer is not that dissimilar from an IdealScope (I think??) so it may be possible to identify leakage from it.

Do you have the diamond angles etc? Have you run it through the HCA tool?

Yes. I get a 1.5.

Table is 55, depth is 62.2. Slightly tall but should be ok I think.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the arrows image is slightly tilted, which is not helping, but it looks decent from here and the HCA suggests it will be fine :)

62.2 is not really 'tall'!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As far as I know, an Ideal-Scope or ASET crown image looks sort of similar to an H&A viewer image, but no one should use a H&A image for light return analysis. The angles and obstruction in the H&A view do not duplicate what is taking place with ASET or ideal-scope images. The pavilion image from an H&A viewer is also not an Ideal-scope or ASET image used for analysis of light behavior.
Again, no one uses a H&A viewer for diamond light return and leakage analysis. The H&A viewer is a cute tool and shows a particular event of symmetry, but does not do what IS or ASET does in any meaningful way. Many diamond dealers and vendors just don't know anything about what an Ideal-Scope or an ASET Scope is. Their lack of advancement in their own field is truly pitiful.

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
Many diamond dealers and vendors just don't know anything about what an Ideal-Scope or an ASET Scope is. Their lack of advancement in their own field is truly pitiful.

Good to know. I thought maybe the guy was trying to dupe me.

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
6342952445.jpg This is the ASET

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good - what are the crown and pavilion numbers?

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
Nope. It is not the same diamond shown in the blue H&A image.

That possibly did occur to me. Shit. How can you tell?

Do I just run at this point?

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
It makes no sense that the vendor provides a poorly taken H&A when there is a well taken ASET image.

And look at the edges.
These two cannot be the same diamond.

The H&A come from the cutter. The ASET came from the vendor and I assume is computer generated.... or just a different diamond. :(

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H&A come from the cutter. The ASET came from the vendor and I assume is computer generated.... or just a different diamond. :(

Did the vendor tell you it is computer generated? I do not think it is.

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
Did the vendor tell you it is computer generated? I do not think it is.

Retailer doesn't know how it was generated. Says that's the ASET supplied for the diamond.

Last edited:

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
It makes no sense that the vendor provides a poorly taken H&A when there is a well taken ASET image.

And look at the edges.
These two cannot be the same diamond.
20200710_124342.jpg

These dark triangles indicate digging, while the ASET image does not show it. Am I right?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The optics and reflectors in H&A viewers are not precise and differ from scope to scope. You can't make light performance assumptions about any image from such a tool because it lacks a scientific basis relative to light return and leakage. It is strictly to display the H&A effect. It should not be compared to IS or ASET images which produce a very reliable image for each diamond and are both constructed to specifications that don't vary from tool to tool. I know it is very tempting to think that the arrows image is an Ideal-Scope image, but it is not necessarily so and should not be interpreted in that way.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you are being played.
The ASET is something they stole off the internet to shut you up.
The stone has wobbly hearts and so the symmetry is pretty average.

As others have said - reading more into hearts and arrows images is not easy. They are exclusively for assessing symmetry and this one is way off passing as Hearts and Arrows

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are being played.
The ASET is something they stole off the internet to shut you up.
The stone has wobbly hearts and so the symmetry is pretty average.

As others have said - reading more into hearts and arrows images is not easy. They are exclusively for assessing symmetry and this one is way off passing as Hearts and Arrows

Agreed. I would run far away from this vendor

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
6342952445.jpg This is the ASET

This aset seems to be "taken" (understand stolen) from one of the super-ideal vendor sites (and if I have to guess, I'd say it was stolen from Whiteflash.)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This aset seems to be "taken" (understand stolen) from one of the super-ideal vendor sites (and if I have to guess, I'd say it was stolen from Whiteflash.)

Good eye @daisygrl ! Indeed the image was stolen from Whiteflash.

Kudos also to @flying pig for recognizing it was not the same stone at all.

They edited out the black background and the small inclusion in the center (it's a 3 ct F VS1)

If you look carefully at the small details of the two light maps you will see they are identical. 1594657185323.png 1594657223111.png

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Who is the vendor?

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
Who is the vendor?

Don't wanna sell out the vendor yet as they're relying on the cutter and it's not an in-house stone.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't wanna sell out the vendor yet as they're relying on the cutter and it's not an in-house stone.

If the ASET came from the vendor and the H&A from the cutter, there is no reason to protect the vendor - they have stolen a picture off the internet and tried to use it to placate (fob off...) a customer (you) who is trying to ask for something they cannot or will not invest in in order to improve their business.

That is not trustworthy business practice and they should be named and shamed, and you should take your business elsewhere.

Would you be happy if they did this to your mother in order to extract a sale, and therefore profit for their own pockets?

JDYNYC

Rough_Rock
If the ASET came from the vendor and the H&A from the cutter, there is no reason to protect the vendor - they have stolen a picture off the internet and tried to use it to placate (fob off...) a customer (you) who is trying to ask for something they cannot or will not invest in in order to improve their business.

That is not trustworthy business practice and they should be named and shamed, and you should take your business elsewhere.

Would you be happy if they did this to your mother in order to extract a sale, and therefore profit for their own pockets?

I was assuming the ASET came from the vendor, but the vendor said both came from the cutter in separate emails. I didn't ask him to prove it. But yea, at this point I've moved on from this diamond and vendor.

I thing I don't like is that he initially tried to pass off the H&A image as ASET. That's either incompetent or shady. I am more inclined to attribute it to stupidity than malice, as they say.

Last edited:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When it comes to determining malice one must also figure people that do this kind of misrepresentation casually or intentionally are lazy, unprofessional, mean spirited, and stupid. Smart people usually find a way to avoid malice and dishonesty. The world has enough stupidity so with no shortage of supply, you need to have a certain level of caution and suspicion. That's a main reason why long time reliable vendors, ones with great track records, have become and remain successful. There are other good reasons, too, but you won't see such trickery being attempted by trustworthy sellers.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Who is the vendor?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results