shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET of a Daussi???

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
This is neat to see. I''ll be interested to see an updated shot of the Daussi stone if possible, but this is kind of interesting to see all the same.

For quite a while I thought I wanted one and still would like one but probably a small one as a RHR. I do like the older look and it hits a soft spot in my heart.

I find them fascinating and I love the sorta bowtie look that some of them have (kind of like a half maltese cross on a few I''ve seen). They are a mix of old and new and IMO beautiful.

TakngthePlunge, thanks for starting this thread. I wish you all the luck in searching for the right stone & ring. Oh and I agree, that greenish yellow rocks! It would be a fun stone to have for sure!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 3:25:57 PM
Author: missydebby

Charmy, you don''t mince words, does ya! I sorta like the Daussi''s. They are kinda like cool little Cushion spaceships hovering over the finger. Since it seems like I''ve started a Cushion collection, I just might have to add a nice soft L-R Daussi to my list...
I am working on it :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As well as the you tube video and as mentioned, the easy ideal-lite method, I would like to point out that personally I prefer not to use black behind the stone Kenny.
But if anyone wishes to, it is easy to place a litle masking tape under the tray, or with a felt tip pen - make the hole black.
There is also a good arguement for rocking fancy shape stones while viewing in ASET - and that does require tweezers.
But there is more leakage and a defecit of blue in that stone from the images taken so far.

I would not be happy to promote it to my clients. And that RD is a fact.
But that does not mean that there is not somone else who would like it - but with an upgrade policy in place, I would not want to risk having such a stone come back and sit dead in stock while customers pass it over for any of my other stock which would sparkle twice as much.

Light-and-scopes2.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 6:42:01 PM
Author: kenny
Date: 5/21/2010 6:18:02 PM

Author: Rockdiamond

I''m lucky in that I can appreciate beauty in many different diamond cuts.

Yeah, I guess at DBL there''s no such thing as good cut or bad cut; all diamonds are equal.
20.gif
Kenny-you sure seem to have a very large chip on your shoulder!
20.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 3:10:22 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I personally find the Daussi cushions increadibly ugly and would never buy one myself. But to each their own :)
Charmy-just curious if you've ever gotten the chance to see a Daussi cushion in person??? And NO offense taken, different opinion are what makes the world go around!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 9:26:32 PM
Author: stepcutnut

I personally find the Daussi cushions increadibly ugly and would never buy one myself. But to each their own :)
Charmy-just curious if you''ve ever gotten the chance to see a Daussi cushion in person??? And NO offense taken, different opinion are what makes the world go around!
Yes - I actually have recently which confirmed my thinking based on internet pictures. I usually don''t make these strong judgement on anything I haven''t seen in person. It''s really personal preference and I can see why others like this cut.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 9:57:54 PM
Date: 5/21/2010 9:26:32 PM

Author: stepcutnut

Charmy-just curious if you've ever gotten the chance to see a Daussi cushion in person??? And NO offense taken, different opinion are what makes the world go around!

Yes - I actually have recently which confirmed my thinking based on internet pictures. I usually don't make these strong judgement on anything I haven't seen in person. It's really personal preference and I can see why others like this cut.
I am glad you got to see one in person. I will also add that many of the Daussi cushions aren't cut the same from one stone to the next. The cushion in my ring actually does not have a shallow cut or a large table and is very lively(oh and it's light pink)!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2010 9:08:17 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
As well as the you tube video and as mentioned, the easy ideal-lite method, I would like to point out that personally I prefer not to use black behind the stone Kenny.
But if anyone wishes to, it is easy to place a litle masking tape under the tray, or with a felt tip pen - make the hole black.
There is also a good arguement for rocking fancy shape stones while viewing in ASET - and that does require tweezers.
But there is more leakage and a defecit of blue in that stone from the images taken so far.

I'll bet your clients really love working with you Garry- for the fact you have a view of diamonds, and share it with them. You demonstrate what you find beautiful in such a great way, others can see exactly what you're talking about.
But that does not mean that there is not somone else who would like it - but with an upgrade policy in place, I would not want to risk having such a stone come back and sit dead in stock while customers pass it over for any of my other stock which would sparkle twice as much.
Garry, since you raised the point, I'll tell you we have ZERO hesitation offering a trade up policy on every Daussi we sell- in fact even the rings they come in are usually allowed 100% value on a trade up.
People have traded them up, and others have been happy to purchase the traded in rings. They make a durable product.

Stepcut nut also raised a great point.
Daussi cuts one of the widest variety of shapes I've ever seen.
They cut Horseheads, Half Moons, Shields, Ovals, Marquise, Pear Shape- and they cut all these shapes all in many different models and proportions.

They do seem to get a lot of "mackels"- that means irregular shallow rough diamonds- so a lot of the stones are below 60% depth.
I've seen stones that looked great with depths down to the mid 40's.
An 2ct emerald cut that looks like a 3 sounds very good to a lot of people.

Personally, I love working with Daussi- they've got sweet rings, and amazing variety of cool stones in almost every color shape and size ( aside from RBC)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don the kevlar David!
31.gif

I liked the two Daussi cushions I saw in person. They were charming, in the same way that the vintage omc with the gigantic dark maltese cross in the next tray was charming. Not cut for optimal light return, definitely lacking the precision of a H&A type, but still a very attractive stone in its own right; I can see why people choose them
1.gif

But, I'm of the honest opinion that too few actually understand the implications (rather, the lack thereof) of "H&A" and cut precision anyway, as is evidenced in RT threads entirely too often.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Agree on both accounts.

Don''t like black backgrounds for ASET imagery. Never have never will.

Will not offer an upgrade policy on a diamond I felt/know will collect dust.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2010 10:51:26 PM

I'll bet your clients really love working with you Garry- for the fact you have a view of diamonds, and share it with them. You demonstrate what you find beautiful in such a great way, others can see exactly what you're talking about.
Garry, since you raised the point, I'll tell you we have ZERO hesitation offering a trade up policy on every Daussi we sell- in fact even the rings they come in are usually allowed 100% value on a trade up.
People have traded them up, and others have been happy to purchase the traded in rings. They make a durable product.

They cut Horseheads, Half Moons, Shields, Ovals, Marquise, Pear Shape- and they cut all these shapes all in many different models and proportions.

They do seem to get a lot of 'mackels'- that means irregular shallow rough diamonds- so a lot of the stones are below 60% depth.

Personally, I love working with Daussi- they've got sweet rings, and amazing variety of cool stones in almost every color shape and size ( aside from RBC)
That's the bottom line Dave. Ultimately the person you are serving must be pleased. Personally I've never seen one in person so my opinion would be moot and I can't stand when people make what sounds like an educated opinion about something they have not seen or are remotely familiar with. I've seen people make comments on diamonds (seemingly unfavorable) when in fact they've never actually seen one or compared it to whatever they were looking at.

If when you lay out a suite of diamonds and this particular diamond consistently grabs their eye of your clientele then you are onto something perhaps. I'm an old fashioned skeptical "show me" kinda guy. I like proof. If I were not in this business and just a consumer shopping on the net ... show me the money.
5.gif
Next time I'm out in the city I'll pop by if that's ok with you and I'd like to see em. I would agree there is someone for everything but when it comes to investing capital in diamonds for stock I want to invest in what 99% agree is the most pleasing to the eyes. I'm sure you would agree.

All the best,

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 11:42:07 PM
Author: yssie
Don the kevlar David!
31.gif

I liked the two Daussi cushions I saw in person. They were charming, in the same way that the vintage omc with the gigantic dark maltese cross in the next tray was charming. Not cut for optimal light return, definitely lacking the precision of a H&A type, but still a very attractive stone in its own right; I can see why people choose them
1.gif

But, I''m of the honest opinion that too few actually understand the implications (rather, the lack thereof) of ''H&A'' and cut precision anyway, as is evidenced in RT threads entirely too often.
I am feeling think, but what do you mean by this Yssie? I can think of two meanings that are totally opposite
4.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2010 12:05:18 AM
Author: dreamer_d

Don the kevlar David!
31.gif

1.gif

But, I'm of the honest opinion that too few actually understand the implications (rather, the lack thereof) of 'H&A' and cut precision anyway, as is evidenced in RT threads entirely too often.
I am feeling think, but what do you mean by this Yssie? I can think of two meanings that are totally opposite
4.gif
Ugh, that came out wrong. Chalk it up to a long couple of days. Not addressed specifically to you dreamer, but to further explain my statement:

Often in RT we often see H&A superideals attributed characteristics that have nothing to do with what H&A actually means. A H&A or other such precision-cut will not output more colours of the spectrum, or "superideal" performance or light return: it will provide the same "amount" and "type" of light return as any other non-branded non-optically-symmetric diamond with excellent proportions of a similar type (ie. t, d, c/p, lgf) and good faceting. H&A by itself doesn't guarantee good performance, that depends on how tightly stones in a given brand are cut and what other specifications they are held do. Actually, hearts and arrows as used as the definition of any given brand isn't even synonymous with perfect optical symmetry, as you can have perfect optical symmety that results in all sorts of "modified hearts"...

The real beauty of respected brands of H&A is that it makes choosing a guaranteed top-performer extraordinarily easy: these stones exhibit hearts and arrows and are cut to proportions guaranteed to result in superior light return. I cringe when I see responses that say "don't sacrifice cut! Choose a H&A!" without further elaborating that H&A does NOT mean "most/best light return" by itself, and you can choose a non-H&A and NOT sacrifice any performance whatsoever, so long as you choose one that has good numbers and IS/ASET. Frankly if you're trying to maximize budget an AGS0 (premium) certed H&A (premium) really isn't the way to go... PS blasphemy, I know
2.gif

JMHO, which has nothing to do with daussi.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is what I thought you meant
2.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond,

Don't giveup or be disparaged by some of the comments in this thread they will only serve to limit the educational value something I would like to avoid. As others have mentioned it will be easier to use a holder and ideal lite to take an image so your hands are free to hold the camera. I wouldn't want to draw conclusions from the ASET images you took thus far especially since it looks like light has entered the crown from the side which may invalidate the result.

In addition I must say the customer asked for an ASET image, admittedly I have a fair idea of what a well taken one should look for these stones, but I think it is prudent to reserve definitive judgement until we see a well taken image. I still think it would be better if we left the subjective opinions out of it and presented the information objectively.

cliniquelove83

Rough_Rock
I agree, daussi diamonds aren''t for everyone. By diamond standards they can be "subpar" in terms of depth and light return. However, I own one and absolutely love it, has a lot of charm and I get a lot of compliments. The best way is to visually inspect the stone itself, as daussi stones can vary quite tremendously and photos aren''t representative. You can search for my thread "engaged 1.21.10" for some pics of mine if interested. I needed to insert some positivity into this thread!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the thread info. I'm going there right now!
1.gif

Edited:
Just looked... it's gorgeous. Like I said earlier, Daussi's are their own animals, they just seem to hover over the finger. Beautiful.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2010 12:33:59 AM

Author: yssi

But, I''m of the honest opinion that too few actually understand the implications (rather, the lack thereof) of ''H&A'' and cut precision anyway, as is evidenced in RT threads entirely too often.
4.gif
Ugh, that came out wrong. Chalk it up to a long couple of days. Not addressed specifically to you dreamer, but to further explain my statement:

Often in RT we often see H&A superideals attributed characteristics that have nothing to do with what H&A actually means. A H&A or other such precision-cut will not output more colours of the spectrum, or ''superideal'' performance or light return: it will provide the same ''amount'' and ''type'' of light return as any other non-branded non-optically-symmetric diamond with excellent proportions of a similar type (ie. t, d, c/p, lgf) and good faceting. H&A by itself doesn''t guarantee good performance, that depends on how tightly stones in a given brand are cut and what other specifications they are held do. Actually, hearts and arrows as used as the definition of any given brand isn''t even synonymous with perfect optical symmetry, as you can have perfect optical symmety that results in all sorts of ''modified hearts''...

The real beauty of respected brands of H&A is that it makes choosing a guaranteed top-performer extraordinarily easy: these stones exhibit hearts and arrows and are cut to proportions guaranteed to result in superior light return. I cringe when I see responses that say ''don''t sacrifice cut! Choose a H&A!'' without further elaborating that H&A does NOT mean ''most/best light return'' by itself, and you can choose a non-H&A and NOT sacrifice any performance whatsoever, so long as you choose one that has good numbers and IS/ASET. Frankly if you''re trying to maximize budget an AGS0 (premium) certed H&A (premium) really isn''t the way to go... PS blasphemy, I know
2.gif

Yssie, that is not blasphemy - at least not in my book - it is exactly what I have been saying on this board for a decade.

Many very knowledgeable people who cut very fine, even exceptional diamonds, would prefer it was not said. But no one has ever been able to prove that what you are saying is wrong.

i.e. no one from that camp has ever lined up for a pepsi taste test because, in my opinion, they know they will not be able to prove their case for symmetry which is above and beyond what the human eye can ''see''.

And that is the basis of all good science.

Prove or disprove.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2010 3:06:08 PM
Author: cliniquelove83
I agree, daussi diamonds aren''t for everyone. By diamond standards they can be ''subpar'' in terms of depth and light return. However, I own one and absolutely love it, has a lot of charm and I get a lot of compliments. The best way is to visually inspect the stone itself, as daussi stones can vary quite tremendously and photos aren''t representative. You can search for my thread ''engaged 1.21.10'' for some pics of mine if interested. I needed to insert some positivity into this thread!
Is this the basis of a brand?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 6:11:42 AM

Date: 5/22/2010 3:06:08 PM
Author: cliniquelove83
I agree, daussi diamonds aren''t for everyone. By diamond standards they can be ''subpar'' in terms of depth and light return. However, I own one and absolutely love it, has a lot of charm and I get a lot of compliments. The best way is to visually inspect the stone itself, as daussi stones can vary quite tremendously and photos aren''t representative. You can search for my thread ''engaged 1.21.10'' for some pics of mine if interested. I needed to insert some positivity into this thread!
Is this the basis of a brand?
That''s why I haven''t been a fan of this brand. It ranges so much and there were comments here that they get a lot of shallow rough therefore there are a lot of shallow stones??? I want a company with higher standards and tighter controls especially if I have to pay a premium for a brand name. Anyways .. my two cents again.

cliniquelove83

Rough_Rock
No need to go on the defense, to each his own! I''m just someone who appreciates the cut despite all its limitations.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2010 11:57:55 PM
Author: Rhino
Date: 5/21/2010 10:51:26 PM

They do seem to get a lot of 'mackels'- that means irregular shallow rough diamonds- so a lot of the stones are below 60% depth.

That's the bottom line Dave. Ultimately the person you are serving must be pleased. Personally I've never seen one in person so my opinion would be moot and I can't stand when people make what sounds like an educated opinion about something they have not seen or are remotely familiar with. I've seen people make comments on diamonds (seemingly unfavorable) when in fact they've never actually seen one or compared it to whatever they were looking at.

If when you lay out a suite of diamonds and this particular diamond consistently grabs their eye of your clientele then you are onto something perhaps. I'm an old fashioned skeptical 'show me' kinda guy. I like proof. If I were not in this business and just a consumer shopping on the net ... show me the money.
5.gif
Next time I'm out in the city I'll pop by if that's ok with you and I'd like to see em. I would agree there is someone for everything but when it comes to investing capital in diamonds for stock I want to invest in what 99% agree is the most pleasing to the eyes. I'm sure you would agree.

All the best,
Jon, you're totally invited!!!

Great post- and looking at this very thread, it's clear we totally agree on a lot of things.

In terms of the statement in bold.....If there was 99% agreement on ...well, anything in this life neither of us would likely have type of the business we have.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/23/2010 6:07:43 AM
Date: 5/22/2010 12:33:59 AM

Author: yssi

4.gif

Often in RT we often see H&A superideals attributed characteristics that have nothing to do with what H&A actually means. A H&A or other such precision-cut will not output more colours of the spectrum, or ''superideal'' performance or light return: it will provide the same ''amount'' and ''type'' of light return as any other non-branded non-optically-symmetric diamond with excellent proportions of a similar type (ie. t, d, c/p, lgf) and good faceting. H&A by itself doesn''t guarantee good performance, that depends on how tightly stones in a given brand are cut and what other specifications they are held do. Actually, hearts and arrows as used as the definition of any given brand isn''t even synonymous with perfect optical symmetry, as you can have perfect optical symmety that results in all sorts of ''modified hearts''...

The real beauty of respected brands of H&A is that it makes choosing a guaranteed top-performer extraordinarily easy: these stones exhibit hearts and arrows and are cut to proportions guaranteed to result in superior light return. I cringe when I see responses that say ''don''t sacrifice cut! Choose a H&A!'' without further elaborating that H&A does NOT mean ''most/best light return'' by itself, and you can choose a non-H&A and NOT sacrifice any performance whatsoever, so long as you choose one that has good numbers and IS/ASET. Frankly if you''re trying to maximize budget an AGS0 (premium) certed H&A (premium) really isn''t the way to go... PS blasphemy, I know
2.gif

Yssie, that is not blasphemy - at least not in my book - it is exactly what I have been saying on this board for a decade.

Many very knowledgeable people who cut very fine, even exceptional diamonds, would prefer it was not said. But no one has ever been able to prove that what you are saying is wrong.

i.e. no one from that camp has ever lined up for a pepsi taste test because, in my opinion, they know they will not be able to prove their case for symmetry which is above and beyond what the human eye can ''see''.

And that is the basis of all good science.

Prove or disprove.

Garry- I thought of a good analogy for this.
Let''s compare diamonds to headlight lenses, and how it relates to science.
If we are studying the science of optics, and it''s effect, a headlight is perfect. It needs to be designed to meet certain goals, based on certain givens.
1) the light source is fixed- always from the same spot behind the lens.
2) the desired effect is also fixed ( to a degree) We have high beams for times extra light is needed. But basically, the better it lights the road, while not blinding oncoming traffic, the better it is.
If you''ve ever compared the headlights in a high end luxury brand to an economy car, the difference can be marked. The high end brads have invested more in the technology.

Neither of those conditions applies to a diamond.
The source of lighting is never stable , especially when a diamond is worn.
And neither is the desired effect.
It''s probably true that over 50% of the people looking for a diamond today are seeking a traditional round brilliant. Maybe even 60%.
Within that 60% there are different groups. Some prefer Heart and Arrows, others don;t like the pattern.
But let''s not forget the other group.
Is someone "wrong" if they want a marquise?
If someone likes H&A stones, which can be more easily bought consistently, does that make them necessarily better? Only if one loves that look- and not everyone does.

Bringing science into it, in such a way that leads people to believe that a certain type of diamond is "subpar" is just wrong IMO.
In this very thread, someone used "science" to try and say one diamond was surely "better" than another- "better optics" was the phrase used.
That is a misuse of science, and scientific terminology.
cliniquelove83- if there''s one point I can make here- it would be to you- you probably have a gorgeous stone. Who cares if it does not score well on tests that don''t matter to you anyway?
Was there ever a time you needed your diamond to cast light on something and it failed you?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this very thread, someone used 'science' to try and say one diamond was surely 'better' than another- 'better optics' was the phrase used.
That is a misuse of science, and scientific terminology.
For the record, I was the person that made the above statements and my mistake was in not pointing out that the above was in my opinion as a consumer. I was not using science in any particular way but giving my opinion, such as it, again from a consumer point of view. By saying ' better optics', if you also object to that term, by that I meant and again this is my opinion,... sparkle, light performance, beauty etc etc, call it what you will.
I also said,

"But by far the best way would be to compare a Daussi and AVC in person, chances are ( in my opinion) the AVC would be the winner ( and we have also addressed that statement previously in the thread) but then at least you would have an actual comparison. My personal opinion is that I very much doubt from what I know of the Daussi cushion that it would show the same level of optics as the AVC, but it comes down to the taste and preference of the buyer. Just do as much research and in person comparisons of both types if you can in order to make an informed decision."

David, my goal is to assist the buyer in finding the best possible diamond for them, not to tell them what they should or should not buy. Opinions are always subjective, I could look at both AVC's and Daussi in person if it were possible till the cows come home, and although I would obviously make my own mind up which is the most beautiful shall we say out of the two brands ( if beautiful is an acceptable term to use), I would not presume to tell any buyer which stone THEY should find more beautiful, nor has that ever been the intent of any of my posts. If you truly believe that then you are either completely misunderstanding my words and intent or I am doing something very wrong which needs to be addressed, but I tend to think you do in fact understand the intent of my posts.... Concerning opinions, you might feel differently that the Daussi is far more beautiful than the AVC if you could compare both in person, thats fine if that were your opinion which I would not dream of trying to change. We all are entitled to our opinions, including me, and it is important to remember that.

I do believe in many ways we are on the same page actually, although I am a big believer in cut quality I don't want to see a ' one size fits all' approach with diamonds, otherwise we are shutting out a large number of diamond buyers we could be of real assistance to. I personally would like to see a balance between perfectly good diamonds not being rejected if they are not quite ' perfect' ( and the buyer isn't looking for a top cut stone) but the buyer finding some relevant information and education on cut quality without being blinded by too much technical information ( unless they require or request it), so they can decide for themselves how best to select their diamond. That way we can play a useful part in their search by giving them tools they can really use in their search so that they can truly decide for themselves what their particular preference is, or what THEY find the most beautiful.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lorelei, I do believe we both share a gaol of educating people- and assisting them to get questions answered.
But based on your writings, you have already made up your mind which would be the winner.
If you''d seen both, then it would be possible to make some sort of statement giving an opinion based on a fact- the fact you''d seen the stones with your own eyes.
Charmy HATES Daussi stones- good for her.
It''s based on her actually looking at a Daussi- not representative IMO, but still, she''s actually seen one.
If she''s also seen an AVC, she could make a meaningful statement on how she compares the two.

When we use terms like "leakage" it''s an insult.
"Contrast" is not, IMO.
And the term "leakage" is so often used when people have not even seen the stone, it''s really a shame.
Can someone determine that a stone has "leakage" simply by it''s crown and pavilion angle?
If a consumer does not understand what leakage is, and they are warned , by someone who has not seen the diamond, that "it might have leakage under the table", what would you expect their response to be?
From where I sit, a big problem is that consumers reading this don''t necessarily understand who''s who.
By using pseudo scientific terminology like "leakage" and "better optics" as they are commonly used, the natural assumption of a typical consumer is that the people using these terms are experts.

I agree- "one size fits all" is not a good approach.
But when people are driven in the same direction continually, that''s exactly what happens here.
Either you want a "superior optic" diamond, or you''re told that "you can sacrifice cut"
For MANY people, a Daussi ( or some other non ideal type stone) is a better cut than the most ideal, ideal cut.
Lorelei- I respect you - I know you did not mean it this way, but your statement about how "we''re on the same page, although I am a big believer in cut quality" seems insulting.
I love great cut as much as anyone.
Why do I have to love exactly what you love to be considered someone who loves great cut?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 4:02:38 PM
Lorelei, I do believe we both share a gaol of educating people- and assisting them to get questions answered.
But based on your writings, you have already made up your mind which would be the winner.
If you'd seen both, then it would be possible to make some sort of statement giving an opinion based on a fact- the fact you'd seen the stones with your own eyes.
It's based on her actually looking at a Daussi- not representative IMO, but still, she's actually seen one.
If she's also seen an AVC, she could make a meaningful statement on how she compares the two.

When we use terms like 'leakage' it's an insult.
'Contrast' is not, IMO.
And the term 'leakage' is so often used when people have not even seen the stone, it's really a shame.
Can someone determine that a stone has 'leakage' simply by it's crown and pavilion angle?
If a consumer does not understand what leakage is, and they are warned , by someone who has not seen the diamond, that 'it might have leakage under the table', what would you expect their response to be?
From where I sit, a big problem is that consumers reading this don't necessarily understand who's who.
By using pseudo scientific terminology like 'leakage' and 'better optics' as they are commonly used, the natural assumption of a typical consumer is that the people using these terms are experts.

I agree- 'one size fits all' is not a good approach.
But when people are driven in the same direction continually, that's exactly what happens here.
Either you want a 'superior optic' diamond, or you're told that 'you can sacrifice cut'
For MANY people, a Daussi ( or some other non ideal type stone) is a better cut than the most ideal, ideal cut.
Lorelei- I respect you - I know you did not mean it this way, but your statement about how 'we're on the same page, although I am a big believer in cut quality' seems insulting.
I love great cut as much as anyone.
Why do I have to love exactly what you love to be considered someone who loves great cut?
David, I just want to address this quickly before I respond further, there was absolutely no insult intended or implied toward you and that last sentence above is quite unecessary really, again it was NOT meant as an insult.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No problem L
35.gif

I apologize for responding to your statement specicially, as the problem, as I see it, is endemic here.
Do you think it's fair, or correct that cliniquelove83 has been led to believe her diamond is "subpar" by ( in large part) people who've never even seen a Daussi?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 4:22:51 PM
No problem L
35.gif

I apologize for responding to your statement specicially, as the problem, as I see it, is endemic here.
Do you think it's fair, or correct that cliniquelove83 has been led to believe her diamond is 'subpar' by ( in large part) people who've never even seen a Daussi?
David,

I think we should keep this thread about the OP and their stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 4:02:38 PM

It's based on her actually looking at a Daussi- not representative IMO, but still, she's actually seen one.
If she's also seen an AVC, she could make a meaningful statement on how she compares the two.
You are absolutely correct - I agree the two that I have seen may not be respresentative. I was not aware that Daussi cushions come in such a wide range of specifications. I assumed that since it is a branded cut that each one would be relatively similar. I must admit that the two I saw were very shallow which added to my personal distaste for them. I will reserve my judgement until I see the well cut Daussi cushions but as you pointed out my experience has been limited to the extremly shallow ones.

I do own an AVC that I believe is outstanding when compared to a Daussi cushion or a generic antique cushion (although I do find the generic cushions appealing in their own way too). I also own a 8 main modern cushion. I have seen over 50 cushions cut diamonds and way more than 50 colored cushion gemstones in real life. I have seen offerings from GOG, ERD, SingleStone, 23rd Street Jewelers among the PS vendors mentioned here (I may have even seen Leon's but I can't remember so I won't say for sure) plus I have seen cushions offered by local vendors and high end jewelers such as Cartier, Harry Winston, De Beers, Tiffany, Birks, Graff, etc. I am sure this is a high number for a consumer but not nearly as much as a seasoned vendor would have seen.

I am begining to think I am a little strange. I do see the art of cutting and faceting stones as almost a science. After all, light return is really all just science and math - the rules of how light bounces, colors disperse etc ... never changes. I remember learning it in high school science and I believe they are still taught the same way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results