shape
carat
color
clarity

As a guest, would you rather....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
...attend a ballroom reception, or country club reception?

I know this isn''t totally a LIW topic, but it''s still related to wedding planning!

Important to note this would be a summer wedding, ideally 80 degree beautiful weather.

Option 1: Country club with almost a "colorado lodge" feel...glass windows overlooking the golf course, wraparound veranda for cocktails/hordeurves, beautiful stone fireplace, wood accents, buffet dinner. Laid back yet elegant, summery, warm. Incorporates outdoors through veranda/view.

Option 2: Ballroom. More sophisticated, formal, with seated dinner, sprawling centerpieces, that sort of thing. Tall vaulted ceilings, beautiful lighting with sheer drapery over the dance floor.

Which would you rather attend?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you could do creative things with both options to make them unique and less "cookie cutter." Both locations lend themselves in general to very different style events. Personally, for me, I''d rather go to a wedding in the summer where I can walk around outside and enjoy the indoor/outdoor element. But I loooove formal events, so I''m torn. This day is about you. Go with what you and your FI want, don''t worry so much about the guests.

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Depends on who *you* are... I guess I have friends who I totally see in a ballroom and others in the country lodge, and it might be a little weird if they were "out of place"... if that makes sense.

If it was me, I would pick the country club, and as a guest I think I''d prefer it slightly less formal, especially in the summer.

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
I'm an Option 1 kinda girl personally, because the view (and ensuing pictures) are hugely important to me. I do also agree that it depends on the bride and groom :) As a guest, I'm more concerned about them being comfortable in their surroundings.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''d prefer option 1 personally, but both sound awesome!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would also prefer option 1.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
most people are less formal than more. I''d go for option one.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I love the sound of number one, but it depends on how you see your wedding and which one fits the mood/style best. No doubt it''ll be gorgeous either way--have fun deciding!
1.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Country club...hands down. I would love the opportunity to spend some of the evening outdoors...especially on a gorgeous summer night.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
These replies make me happy so far
31.gif

I didn''t want to say which I am leaning towards without first getting some replies, but I have been leaning towards option 1 for a long time...and I have a very specific place in mind (the one I described, of course.) This fall I went to a ballroom reception, like option 2, and it really threw my ideas off course, because it was so gorgeous. But, I still feel like the country club place is more "us" and my best girl friend agrees...which says a lot, since she knows our style/personalities.

Thanks, this is a good start to my day! Now if he would just propose and we think about reserving the place...

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''d say option one, but whichever is more your style as a couple should be the choice.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I also like option one, as do you woo hoo! And you know, you can always throw a curve ball and make it a little more formal!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 1:10:03 PM
Author: Winks_Elf
I''d say option one, but whichever is more your style as a couple should be the choice.
I agree!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I personally like both options... but I LOOOOOVE weddings. I''ve been to receptions in the Ritz, outdoors in a garden, at the mother of the brides home, at the VA hall, country clubs, at a park etc.. weddings-receptions that cost $500 to weddings that cost $50K PLUS. It really as a guest never bothered me what the backdrop was. The reason for the gathering was to celebrate the coming together of a lovely couple... the rest, well was just extra confetti.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
I love both options (and very good question by the way, LWM) I thought about it a little and personally I''d love both for my wedding if I could have two weddings, haha. But AS A GUEST - I say what would make it memorable and special for me would be to attend a wedding that was a direct reflection of the bride and groom. The more of a stretch (for lack of a better word) a wedding is the more it seems forced or even insincere? If I were friends with this high roller, jet setting, designer clothes, $300 haircut couple and they had a garden wedding that was simple yet elegant I''d still have this perception of something being a little off. Same thing if it were a couple who enjoyed camping and hiking, letting their dogs sleep in their beds, eating all organic foods and they rented out a NYC loft space to drown in crystals and purple and blue spot lights with pumped up techno music for their reception. You see where I''m going? I think, if youre considering what kind of wedding youd like (an assumption - maybe you just wanted to throw a hypothetical question out here?
1.gif
), if you can make it a refelection of you and your SO your guests will feel like they''re attending a great wedding regardless of where its held.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would prefer a ballroom reception. my nephew did one of those country club reception last summer,the food was
14.gif
and the temp was 103* outside.
23.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the country club, definitely.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Country Club = no question.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
As a guest I would be honored to attend- no matter the setting.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone...and a bit of news...on Friday, I have the day off work and I am going to visit the country club in question! I have only seen pics online, and the outside of the building, and the banquet packet of course...I was talking to my BF last night and he agreed that while he is in class on Friday, I can visit this country club and meet the coordinator. He doesn''t want to go for fear it would be awkward since we aren''t engaged yet, but I want to book somewhere asap when we get engaged and since I live 3 hours from the city we''ll get married in, getting there to tour on any other weekday will be tough. Sooo....I will let you all know how it goes!!! I am hoping that it is everything it seems to be through pics/reviews.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 8:26:05 PM
Author: laughwithme
Thanks everyone...and a bit of news...on Friday, I have the day off work and I am going to visit the country club in question! I have only seen pics online, and the outside of the building, and the banquet packet of course...I was talking to my BF last night and he agreed that while he is in class on Friday, I can visit this country club and meet the coordinator. He doesn''t want to go for fear it would be awkward since we aren''t engaged yet, but I want to book somewhere asap when we get engaged and since I live 3 hours from the city we''ll get married in, getting there to tour on any other weekday will be tough. Sooo....I will let you all know how it goes!!! I am hoping that it is everything it seems to be through pics/reviews.

very exciting. be prepared for some wedding questions if youre meeting the coordinator - aka guest list#, wedding date, what kind of ceremony (if youre having it there).

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Luckily I''m a pre-planning nut so I think I can answer most of his questions. We have emailed a bit and even talked on the phone once, so he knows I''m interested in next summer, need the larger room (>150 ppl,) etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results