shape
carat
color
clarity

Article, does your engagement ring look cheap lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep saying I will re-set my 1.73 N OEC (the Daily Mail journalist shudders) in it's not quite right Jared setting but I truly love the ring as is. I get tons of compliments on my inferior piece of shhhhh........ (whispers of the DM journalists) ring.

I even once (before it became illegal) wore it with cheap bands before I bought nice ones.
Disclaimer- this picture may not be suitable for all.

007.JPG
Oooooh my eyesssssss! Jk, obviously I love it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6K surprises are VASTLY overrated. Open, honest communication is key in all parts of a relationship. At the very least, a man should have *talked* to his GF about what styles of rings she likes, etc. Or just get it in a temporary setting until she chooses something. But anyone who spends 6K on a completely surprise setting is in for a bad time.
nod.gif
nod.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think that my custom HPD/CBI rings look cheap, but someone asked me if my rings were fake on our last cruise, and the $34k cruise was on an upscale cruiseline too, LOL! :lol-2: :x2

gosh, isn't "hello how are you" the best convention? I've been on the same end of "are your wedding rings real (aka genuine)" . That is a trip (not a cruise) in itself. WEAR ALL YOUR RINGS ALL THE TIME .:saint::P2:wavey::bigsmile: Do It.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really, the Daily Mail is a terrible rag, I don’t think they would know what an “expert” is anyway! The article just reinforces the UK High Street mantra of “look how white this lovely (teeny weeny, poorly cut) diamond is” :bigsmile:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First point re: colour aside, I actually agree with the rest of the points made - definitely bad metalwork is a killer! :lol:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, that depends...What if he drops $6K on a custom setting but she dislike the style, then what? just flush $6K down the toilet?

6K surprises are VASTLY overrated. Open, honest communication is key in all parts of a relationship. At the very least, a man should have *talked* to his GF about what styles of rings she likes, etc. Or just get it in a temporary setting until she chooses something. But anyone who spends 6K on a completely surprise setting is in for a bad time.

Exactly this. Nothing wrong with a temporary setting, and that's not what I was referring to. Guys should either:

a.) Figure out in advance what their future fiancée really wants and ensure that the design is executed to the highest level by the jeweler they choose OR

b.) Get a temporary setting for the surprise (most local jewelers will put a diamond in a generic sterling silver 4-prong for $50-100) and then decide on the setting together with their fiancée.

I was referring to the guys who half-@ss the setting part and drop $1500 on a maul-store halo because that's the first setting that caught their eye in the first store they visited.

Also, a well-executed halo need not cost $6k. Sure, if you want a hand-forged VC you'll need to drop around that much, but you can get a custom cast halo that is well executed, fit for the center stone, and with good metal and prong work for around $1500-2000 from some of the custom jewelers recommended on these forums. But that requires first doing a little bit of research to find these jewelers via internet searches/word of mouth, and then working through a design together with the jeweler. A lot of guys don't want to take the time to do this and/or don't have a good idea of what their girlfriend really wants, and in such instances they should go the temp setting route.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i could not imangine being so rude as to ask someone if their jewles were fake
my workmate got engaged to a low life who didn't tell her her ring was $129 and was white saphires
i just had to bite my tounge and watch the thing get dirtier and dirtier
i even went to the jewler and asked if she came in for cleaning would they tell her it wasn't diamonds
my friend at the mall jewler was appalied that what was a fun ring suitable for a sweet 16 had been been purchased for an ER but she assured me they would never let on

anyway lucky for all that relationship ended - although rather horribly
and the low life asked for his ring back
and he wasn't some teenager who knocked up his GF - he was a 40 year old lying scum

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As we all know "Money doesn't buy you class" and even the most expensive setting can look cheap if done badly and an inexpensive setting can be gorgeous if done right.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My high set, culet exposing K has got some nerve to parade herself in public! :eek2:
IMG_4705.jpg

How could you? really?
I wish the author could see your ring. It's perfection.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'll remember seeing a large RBC in a Tiffany setting, stacked with a Schlumberger band & noticing - the band (yes, I got stared down.)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article was dumb IMHO.
Cheap=cloudy, included stones in cookie cutter settings.
AKA diamond rings from the mall store.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What are they calling cheap. They aren't cheap, they are inexpensive. But not too inexpensive.

Otoh, you would think Walmart would throw in a box of Cracker Jack if you spend $8.88.

2936B55E-B8CE-4A3C-9671-394B05ED21F3.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This article was dumb IMHO.
Cheap=cloudy, included stones in cookie cutter settings.
AKA diamond rings from the mall store.

Right, how did they miss "frozen spit" diamonds?

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
as promised... :D

20190911_133922.jpg 20190911_134044.jpg

My K color English transition diamond in G color halo, set quite high because of filigree.
So, obviously I score 2 bads in the cheap zone!

That is a beautiful ring with gorgeous proportions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results