shape
carat
color
clarity

Article about change in relationship with diamonds in UK

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I read this yesterday and thought I would share and see everyone's thoughts....

Marie Antoinette loved diamonds and there was a particular necklace that helped drive the French royals to catastrophe (it cost the equivalent of about £60m today). What is it about diamonds? The earth is full of other arguably more beautiful things such as the Burma ruby and Kashmir sapphire. Diamond appeal is to vanity and ambition, they hold sinister glamour in opposing associations of lust and respectability. Despite Kate Middleton's engagement ring, diamonds have kept a tight grip on the nearly-wed and the market did not change.

Diamonds reflect status such as the 35ct Beau Sancy diamond that dazzled like nothing seen before and made it an ultimate emblem of royalty. Big diamonds are still an emblem but not of royalty, at a charity auction in London the room was stuffed with silicone inflated wives dripping in flawless white rocks. Many people, usually men, treat diamonds like big yachts - to buy and then show off.

There must be more to diamonds than materialism, for thousands of years they haven been worshipped, stolen and fought over. The ancient Greeks thought they were the splinters of stars. Diamonds had always been rare although production increased in the 1720s with Brazilian mines and then again in the 1870s with the diamond rush of Southern Africa.

It was the beginning of the De Beers cartel that kept diamonds rare and expensive. The only way to increase the value of diamonds is to make them scarce. Another way was to increase the demand with the famous slogan "a diamond is forever". Before WW2 only 10% of engagement rings in America contained diamonds, by the late 1990s 80% did.

The two seismic shifts have been firstly with women buying their own diamonds (not engagement rings) and snapping up pieces such as a £26,000 rose-gold diamond spider's web ring by Anita Ko, a woman's hard earned treat to herself. The second is design, the big rock alone doesn't cut it, women want beautiful complex pieces dribbled with pave and wearable. It's about a more interesting setting now, being casual and more fun.

Unsurprisingly since women have taken a controlling stake in diamonds they've begun to look fascinating again. Marie Antoinette would have grabbed them by the handful and giggled with glee.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
A couple pics to accompany the above

_19650.jpg

_19651.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERRRRY interesting.
I love reading about these things. Can you share where this article originated?

I have the book, The Book of Diamonds, by Joan Y. Dickinson that is full of history & photos of major diamonds & jewelry that is also enjoyable to explore. A section explains how the big stones of all time were divided and where they ended up - in & out of the crowns & necklaces of royalty, etc.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Of course Jimmianne! It was in the Style magazine part of The Sunday Times, it caught my eye so thought I would share!

The book sounds fab, I'll have to check it out! There is so much history and interesting stories surrounding diamonds, I'm definitely going to get stuck in!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - that little article seemed to string a lot of little tid-bits together, but did it actually say anything? :confused: And does it back it up with facts? "Women have taken a controlling stake in diamonds..." really? I do realize that most regulars on PS are women who either buy their own diamonds or otherwise "own" the selection process, but is this really the norm overall?

Or maybe it's a very erudite article and my mind just isn't up to it today. Entirely possible. :wink2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my first diamond ring using lucky money given to me during Chinese New Year when I was 13. It was a white good band with tiny diamond chips as my mum put it, and she told me off for wasting my money.

However, I felt very proud for making my first jewellery purchase independently of my mum, much to her annoyance.

Since then, I have always bought jewellery for myself for no reason other than to please myself.

If I were to wait for jewellery to be bought for me, then I would not have anything else except for the pieces I have been given by my parents.

Perhaps I was ahead of the changing times and attitude back then.

DK :D

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
VRBeauty - I've had to paraphrase the article but essentially that's the content, I agree that it does jump around a bit but think it's more of a social commentary rather than a factual article.

DK - you're definitely ahead of the curve! I totally get buying jewellery independently and wouldn't hesitate to do so now, however when I was younger I definitely only received jewellery as gifts either from family or boyfriends.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results