shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco or Edwardian - which do you think this ring is?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I have just had one of my rings valued for an insurance policy and it seems to date my ring differently from the jeweller I purchased it from. The centre stone is transition cut diamond and was sold as an art deco platinum ring but the valuation (from another reputable antique jeweller) dates it at circa 1910 which would make it edwardian.

I love my ring and it wouldn't make me like it any less if it was edwardian but it does bother me that I don't know which era it is from! Can anyone help - what do you think?

AD%203.jpg
2010%2002%2006_0478.jpg

2011 08 05_3268.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What a gorgeous ring! It's definately deco IMO from the 20s-30s. both the diamOnd and setting are consistent with the period.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No clue on the style/date, but is sure is gorgeous!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It looks Deco to me definitely but there's no hard and fast dividing line. You'll always have jewelers who will be before or behind their times.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I REALLY LIKE THIS RING! Very elegant! I personally would date this ring after 1910 but not by alot and even say its a transition style that combines earlier elements of deco in the style. Even jewelry as early as 1915 will show those early geometric stylings especially if the designer is copying French infuenced jewelry for American or English wedding sets.dID You you ask the appraiser what their reasoning or research was that lead to an exact date of 1910? im curious now as to why they believed edwardian.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guess is Deco- but what do I know??? Just wanted to add that a good friend of mine just got engaged and her ring is identical to yours- it was purchased through an estate/antique dealer :) lovely ring!

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I have seen several dozen rings of this exact style or slightly varied, and all were said to be the Art Deco period, which I consider to be the 1920-40's or thereabouts. This definitely fits the Art Deco period in my opinion.
Maybe the diamond was earlier, though, and just not set into a ring until later on? just a thought....

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, Thank you very much everyone for your kind comments and for being so helpful. Jewellerman I didn't ask any further at the time but I have called him following your post and he said that in his experience this style tends to lean towards the later Edwardian period but he also added that they didn't just stop making them on the last day of 1914 (which is what he defines as his cut off from Edwardian to Art Deco) so it wouldn't be unusual for there to be a difference of opinion in what era it would fall into - pretty much what you said!

Thanks to my slightly obsessive nature. I want to know a bit more about my ring ie; would this style have likely been bought as a dress or engagement ring, if its possibly to pin down the country of manufacture and anything else I can find out (I don't know if its even possible to find out this info on what ultimately is just a piece of jewellery) so I am off to see what I can find out!

Thanks again!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to know more about this ring!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought when I saw this stunning ring was Deco period...but Edwardian is so close in the timeline, it very well could be Edwardian. Either way it is stunning.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS :love: :love:

stci

Ideal_Rock
Deco period.... I'm pretty sure! Gorgeous piece!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back to this thread to drool over your stunning ring!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much! I never did find out any more - I live in a pretty rural area which makes it a little more difficult. We are off to London for a weekend in March and I am going to Grays Antiques while we are there so I might ask someone there what they think.......but I expect I will just spend the time drooling and laying down embarrassingly heavy hints to dh about everything I see!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1326484017|3102273 said:
Thank you very much! I never did find out any more - I live in a pretty rural area which makes it a little more difficult. We are off to London for a weekend in March and I am going to Grays Antiques while we are there so I might ask someone there what they think.......but I expect I will just spend the time drooling and laying down embarrassingly heavy hints to dh about everything I see!
Don't rings in the UK have extensive hallmarks which you can decipher to know the year and place made? I still LOVE that ring. By any name, it's fab-frickin-tabulous!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kelpie, the shank was ridiculously thin through wear when I got it and I can see indentations where the hallmarks would have been but nothing more. Its so thin that through my own wear its now out of shape at the bottom and needs to go in for a little benchwork.

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
the setting looks early deco to me though the diamonds could have come from an older ring. One of my grandmother's married during the height of the depression, her engagement ring she got made using a second hand ring she obtained/brought. The ring had to be remade after it had to be cut off my mother's hand and the jeweller was able to tell us that the diamonds were older than the setting.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I understand wanting to know. These rings are conversation pieces and it helps to know what to tell people! It is a beautiful ring.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It does look Art Deco except for the prongs. That makes me think it's earlier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results