shape
carat
color
clarity

Argh! What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
GIA certified
Hi guys. I posted a thread two days ago about my seeming triumph in finding the following diamond ring:

0.85 ct
VS2
G
Depth 61.7% (62% based on OGI)
Table 56.0% (56.6% based on OGI)
Crown angle 34.5 (based on OGI)
Pavillion angle 40.9 (based on OGI)
Pavillion depth 43.0% (based on OGI)
Polish-v.good
Symmetry-v.good
Thin to slightly thick girdle
Forgot to ask about OGI culet reading, but GIA cert says no culet
Medium blue fluorescence

I re-visited the jeweler today to take one last look at the diamond, the GIA cert, and the OGI. The OGI report sticker had a label across the top of it that said "MILLENIUM"

Does anyone know what this means on an OGI? The GIA cert says the cut is round brilliant. But does the OGI label indicate a different cut? Is this one of those DeBeers millenium stones, and if so, does that make it less valuable or not a good buy for the price I listed? ($3500 including platinum setting with 0.2ctw side baguettes)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On an OGI report or a Sarin report the store can have anything they want printed across the top. From what I know there is nothing special about the "millenium" diamond ... just a gimmick from what I know.

Rhino

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, Rhino. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to find out if the diamond has added value because of this label, whatever it means.

I was actually concerned that somehow it may be less valuable, or may not be the same diamond as on the GIA cert.

I dunno; I'm just getting worried, even paranoid, that something went wrong somewhere or got mixed up. I will call the jeweler tomorrow and see if he can find out more. All he said today was "I don't know what this means, because this is not one of our Millenium diamonds."

The OGI was done at one of the jeweler's branches at another location, which is why he couldn't just ask the person who did the emasurements in person. Maybe he can give them a call tomorrow.

ANybody else have any ideas what this means?

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tsnare,

Don't mean to sound callous, But your jeweller
should start getting his facts straight. As
a consumer, you are doing a good job by looking
for any inconsistancies.

Stay on top of this!

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I read somewhere on this site that the millenium diamonds were nothing different than an H&A and were just a marketing ploy. When the marketing didn't work, Debeers just started selling them as normal diamonds, at normal prices.

Do a search maybe you can find the thread.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
Rook, thanks for the suggestion. I did indeed look up the old posts and think I understand now what the millenium diamonds are.

My bigger concern is what is going on with the OGI report and GIA certificate for this diamond? The OGI measurements seem to match the GIA cert pretty well; I'm just curious about why the word 'millenium' appears on my OGI sticker!

If it is in fact a millenium diamond, then fine. I just want to know. I'd buy it regardless since from what I've read, even if the whole millenium diamond initiative was a ploy, the millenium diamonds themselves are not necessarily less valuable as long as the numbers are good.

To Kirk, thanks so much for your encouragement and suggestions. I don't think you're being callous. Indeed, I think the jeweller needs to do a better job staying on top of things at work. I don't feel as though he's lying to me, since the GIA cert is the original (not a photocopy) and since the store has a return policy and has been in business for 92 years. He just seems a little out of the loop (no pun intended) when it comes to this diamond.

Anyway, wish me luck guys. I need this to be straightened out by Monday afternoon b/c I need the ring ASAP and I still have to wait for it to be sized then sent to my out of state address by 2nd day UPS! (this lets me evade a 5% sales tax; yes, the jeweler will cover the diamond costs if heaven forbid it gets lost in the mail... yikes )

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I am not really up on the Millenium characteristics.... but....if my memory is working well.....

The De Beers Millenium promotion was for De Beers rough that was cut only by cutters that participated in their marketing program.

Some cut them well, and others were cut exceptionally well. So there is a variance in the cutting.

In addition, I seem to remember that the Millenium Diamonds had a new type of inscription in the table. In order to see the inscription the jeweler had to purchase a $ 5000.00 viewer.

Obviously, this went over like a lead balloon....but I would surmise that if the stone is a Millenium there should be a registration certificate attesting to its authenticity, and the existance of the number in the table.

I will say though that since these higher priced diamonds didn't really sell well, the seller may have bought this stone at an advantageous price.

SInce the seller issued a report saying the stone is a Millenium, you should ask him to substanciate his claim either by the certificate from DeBeers and/or checking the stone for the number.

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results