shape
carat
color
clarity

ARGH!!!! Scammers make me sick!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m home after work, sick. Literally sick. Gagging, coughing, the whole bit.

My phone rings, I think it''s Paul (my husband). I answer, get this automated voice that my car''s warranty is out of date and I have to re-instate it immediately. I know this is total crap, so I hang up. Resume watching Nancy Grace.

Twenty minutes later, the phone rings again. Different number (this time I checked first). It says Kentucky. I have a friend in KY, but never talk to her, so I don''t have her number memorized or in my contacts on my cell phone. So, I answer. It''s the same message again, about a non-existent car warranty. Still feel like poo, so I hang up again.

Not even five minutes later, same caller. Now I''m sick, in a bad mood and *hot tempered.* I listen to the whole yada yada story about my car desperately needing to have the non-existent warranty extended, and this is my last chance. So, I hit ONE to tell this person to leave me alone.

And I get a total and complete schmuck on the phone. He''s not from this country, barely speaks my language and then tells me he has no way to take me off the call list. I tell him I''m on the national "do not call registry," and he says, "well I called you, didn''t I?"

Again, not feeling like playing the game I tell him I need to speak to his supervisor. He says he doesn''t have one. I ask him if he''s the CEO of the company then. He says he is not. I tell him if he doesn''t have a supervisor, I want to talk to someone else who is not him. He says he cannot do that. I tell him I need to know his PIN or ID and his name. He says, and get this, because I was so GRRRY, but it still made me laugh (after I hung up) that his PIN is 007, his first name is James, and last name is Bond.

So, anyway, I called my cell phone provider and told them to block his calls from my phone, since I had the two numbers he''d been calling from. And the cell phone provider says since my phone doesn''t come with Parental Blocks, they can''t do anything. Hmph!

What a pile of poo!!

Add to that Paul coming home right when all this is going on and he tells me not to get so upset over it. Um, I''ve been getting these stupid calls for over a week, and being sick and irritable just put me over the limit to the point of finally answering the dumb calls.

I''m so frustrated that there is apparently no way to stop this from continuing. Does anyone know of any way to block a caller who you don''t want to talk to? Or to report the phone number to someone so it can be dealt with?

I did a quick google search and apparently the KY number is making rounds here in the past week or so, irritating people all over the place.

And seriously, what do they stand to gain in the situation? I mean, do people just blindly think that they are really calling about their car warranty? Do they get stats from people and then use them to pull identity theft? Or are they linking our phone numbers to long distance calls or something? (I remember that being a big issue back in the day with land lines...)

Just a vent because I''m so not feeling good and I don''t understand why the national don''t call me list isn''t doing any good!!

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
I get the same calls at least twice a week-- and always from a different number
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
It is soooo funny that you mention this because we get the same message multiple times at the office and now DH and I are getting them at home too! Luckily my boss finally got our caller ID fixed so if it''s not a number we know we don''t answer. The 007 James Bond is pretty funny too!

I hope you''re feeling better soon!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:08:31 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007
It is soooo funny that you mention this because we get the same message multiple times at the office and now DH and I are getting them at home too! Luckily my boss finally got our caller ID fixed so if it''s not a number we know we don''t answer. The 007 James Bond is pretty funny too!

I hope you''re feeling better soon!
Yeah, Paul''s point was that I don''t have to answer a number I don''t know. Well, I know that, but I thought it was a college friend who now lives in KY.

Now I''m stuck on trying to figure out what there is to gain from them doing this stuff. Pure annoyance of others doesn''t seem like enough somehow.
20.gif

Thanks; I''ll feel better soon. It''s nothing major, just the kind of thing that can turn you from a rational, pleasant person to a less rational, less pleasant person. Poor James Bond!!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I get that call all the time...usually from a 702-520.... number...ion *itch prentended she didn't here me...then started saying she didn't care...etc....

I call the number back...usually I get a message that they are sorry they only call busiines...etc...the the out option...press what ever...I do that about 5 times...

My home line has call blocking...I have just started using it...*60

The worst one is the ones who call for debt consolidation...i get them from 702-520-1236 and other iterations of the 702-520....
This ont they claim to be "Northide Services" in Miami...um NV number... has no opt out option...the last time they called...I kept asking for a supervisor and they just transfer me to a ramdom person...for these creeps I just keep calling them back and asking for there names/supervisor ect...

If you google then numbers you can usually find other complaints...and file your own

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been getting that message for probably two years now.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I hate those types of things. Our business gets them horribly. There's several that drive me nuts especially. The one where it's some random phone company trying to get you to switch to them, but often they'll flat out lie and say they're Verizon (our real company) and that they're trying to "save us money". I politely told one of the "faux Verizon" callers to please take us off the call list, and he said "Fine. Then we're going to disconnect your phone."
6.gif
It was a complete bunch of crap- he was just trying to get under my skin.

Another one (selling security systems I think) was mid-spiel when I interrupted her and said, "Thanks, I'm not interested, bye" and was about to hang up when she started cussing me out in an incredibly dirty fashion. It made my skin crawl it was so foul.

My very most hated one is this. One person calls up and says "I need to know the name of your manager." (and if you ask why, they have a plausible excuse). If they get it, they thank the employee and hang up. Then, later, they call back and say "Can you please tell us the model number of your (fax machine, cash register, printer)? Your manager "Jane" placed an order with us but we don't have the model number." If you are stupid enough to tell them, some time later you then get a box of random paper in the mail, which won't fit your fax machine usually anyway, and a bill for about $1,000 payable to someplace in eastern europe. Awesome! If a company is big enough, it can be pretty easy to pull off. I fell for it once
15.gif
, and we just sent the paper back and tossed the fake bill. Boy did I feel dumb when I realized what I'd done. It was my first year at my job I think...

The fake bills are great too. The accountant we got rid of some years ago kept paying this stupid "labor poster" company one. You get this inflammatory letter stating "if you don't have this poster in your lounge L&I will fine you a bazillion dollars!!" and a bill for $100. Sure, you'll get a poster from them if you pay it, but it's complete BS. L&I sends you the same poster for free every year anyway. And, if you don't have it posted properly, they will give you a warning first.

We've been getting a lot of solicitors in person too. One guy from a paper products company got incredibly angry at me yesterday. He started into his spiel while I was with a customer, and I told him rather abruptly I wasn't interested (since he was being rude interrupting a customer I felt ticked to begin with). He said "BUT HOW CAN YOU NOT BE INTERESTED?" I smiled sweetly and said "Very easily." He didn't like that answer much, but hey- he asked! He kept trying to yap at me over the customer I was working with but I just ignored him completely. I suppose it was a bit rude, but I hate pushy sales people and we see them in person at least two a month... usually trying to replace our lighting, or carpet... and I get sick of it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the calls always come from the same 2 numbers just save those numbers in your phone book under the entry DO NOT ANSWER. Not the best solution, but you''ll never answer again!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 6:29:10 AM
Author: neatfreak
If the calls always come from the same 2 numbers just save those numbers in your phone book under the entry DO NOT ANSWER. Not the best solution, but you''ll never answer again!
There you go, Neat. I could totally do that. I''m not so much annoyed by the fact that they call (okay, I am annoyed by that, too), but by now wondering what they gain from it. Hmm.

Google is a wonderful thing.......

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I never answer the phone but my husband will, he just can''t help himself. Most of our junk calls come from the cable company. I let me 2yo take care of them, she loves talking on the phone.
11.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I got a new cell phone at work about 3 weeks ago. From the minute I turned it on, I was getting the same type calls. One day I stayed on long enough for the recording to start and it said it had a very imporatant message for Jason Somebody. If you are Jason Somebody, press 1. If you are not Jason Somebody, but know how to contact Jason Somebody, press 2. If you are not Jason Somebody and do not know how to contact him, press 3. So I press 3. The lady comes on the phone and I tell her that they are trying to reach someone else and to please take my number off the list immediately. She then asks me if I know how to reach him. I tell that no, I DO NOT know how to reach him, I pressed 3 for that option, I just got this phone number and that I want it removed from whatever list they are RIGHT NOW. She got huffy with me, told me to have a pleasant day in a very sarcastic tone and then proceeded to hang up on me. The good news is I haven''t gotten a single call since.

During the elections, one of the girls at work somehow ended up with her number on a list for political recordings. Both parties, differnt races, not just presidential. She was getting calls day and night asking for her support of about five different candidates. It drove her nuts.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I get these calls *every day* and every day I press 1 and remind them that I have a 10 year warranty, my car is only 2 years old, and to take me off of the list. And every day they say no problem, sorry to bother you, and still call me.

My phone has a security feature though were I can restrict numbers that aren''t on my contact list. They can still leave me a message but at least it doesn''t ring.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
If you have that number registered on the "Do Not Call" registry and you are being called for solicitation purposes, you might be able to file a complaint on the do not call website. There is a link on there to file a complaint and from what I understand, if you tell someone who is soliciting that you are on the DNC and they basically ignore you (and you haven''t done business with them before - i.e. your VISA, etc.), you can file a complaint. Could be something worth looking into. I hate those calls - they are so annoying!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I received one of those warranty calls just last evening, only the call came in on my home phone and not my cell. I picked up the call becasue I was expecting a business call, where ordinarily I''d let it go to voice mail if I see an unfamiliar area code. A guy came on the line and immediately asked me to hold on so he could "pull up my information." Then a recording came on with the spiel about the warranty. I just hung up on him because we have a new car (less than a year old) and the other car is, and has been out of warranty (with the manufacturer) for a while. I just found the whole thing bizarre. You call me and then tell me to hold on?
33.gif
And you''re calling about a non-existent warranty?

After reading the other posts I am going to block the number immediately.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I spoke too soon! I just got one of those annoying calling on my business cell after three weeks without one and thinking I had fixed it!

April20

Ideal_Rock
OMG. I just got another one! I sabotaged myself by saying I hadn''t gotten any. This time I hit the "1" to talk to someone and when he answered, he asked if I was responding to the offer to lower my credit card interest rate. I told him I was responding to tell him that if he didn''t take my number off his calling list I was going to get extremely upset. I said a few more things before I figured out he''d hung up on me!

It was a different number than what called me earlier. The worst part is that since it''s my business line, i can''t just not answer. I don''t have the numbers of every single person that could potentially call me in the phone.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We get these calls all the time at home - good news is that they seem to be tapering off...after 3 years...
20.gif

I''m sorry you had to deal with that when you are sick!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Happily, James Bond hasn''t called back in the last few days. Maybe he did go ahead and check the do not call list after all.

Hope everyone else''s James Bonds of the world stop calling!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have been getting these phone calls at least twice a week for about 6 MONTHS now. I HATE them and can''t get rid of them.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t you report the number to the do not call registry as an offender? They seem more equipped to deal with these jerks....
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results