shape
carat
color
clarity

Are your friends also interested in/knowledgeable about diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Not at all.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
None of my friends are into diamonds. Even the ones that expect to be engaged soon just go online and say "I like that one" or something to that effect. Dont know cuts, settings, etc. Nothing on the 4 c''s etc. And they look online at things like Zales, kays, etc.
38.gif

Every single person I have brought up my e-ring to saying "its a cushion cut diamond" say "whats that??"

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few of my friends are interested in learning about diamonds and are knowledgeable, but I wouldn''t say the majority of them are.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, no! I''ve tried talking to my mom about it, but I know she just humors me. :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of the women I know are obsessed with diamonds like I am, but some still have fabulous stones.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does my mistress count as a friend?
innocentwhistle.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
It is just a paranoid thought but I think my friends think I am shallow for loving jewelry so much. Even the friends who have 2-4 cts. on their ring fingers know little to nothing about diamonds.

Would you go to car dealership and spend $20-40K on a car and not do any research on it??? When you make a monetary investment in ANYTHING I believe your due diligence should be done.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
No one I know is as interested in diamonds as I am, except for one co-worker, so I don''t tell anyone about any purchases I make.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. No family or friends are interested at all. My extended family did comment favorably on my upgraded diamond. The only question asked was the size because they thought it must be 2 cts.! I suppose that is why a fair number of us just stay on here long term since we can be around some people with similar interests!

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Nope. They''re fine with Zales, Kay''s and other mall vendors.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they can''t believe I am into it as much as I am and when they see my collection it''s like "Oh My God". You would think I had killed someone. They can''t believe I have that much or that I buy gems and diamonds, they think it is a waste. The way I look at it, my bills are paid my family lives comfortably, this is my hobby.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 9:21:59 AM
Author:Gleam
Do you have friends you can discuss diamonds with?
Nope, not to my knowledge. Doesn't really come up in conversation.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Only if you are talking about a baseball diamond!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anyone in real life who is interested in diamonds.
Well, other than size, they don''t really care about them at all.
My optometrist has a very large (must be close to 4 cts) princess cut solitaire, but that thing is U-G-L-Y ugly. Dull and lifeless, not even one tiny flash comes off of it.
What a waste!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Are your friends also interested in/knowledgeable about diamonds?

Nope. Not a one.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 7:57:29 PM
Author: fsu1227
It is just a paranoid thought but I think my friends think I am shallow for loving jewelry so much. Even the friends who have 2-4 cts. on their ring fingers know little to nothing about diamonds.

Would you go to car dealership and spend $20-40K on a car and not do any research on it??? When you make a monetary investment in ANYTHING I believe your due diligence should be done.
No, I don''t think it''s paranoid. I feel the same way. When I start talking jewelry, they usually give me this look of bewilderment mixed with lenience, as if asking me "How is it possible for a woman with good education and prestigious job to be interested in such stupid things?!?" Diamonds are not really common where I live though, and neither are e-rings, so that may explain it to a certain degree. Most women are either jealous or completely indifferent when they see my diamonds. I''ve gotten comments ranging from "Oh, ok, it''s sparkly", lol, to "I don''t think it looks any different than a CZ."
20.gif

So no, no one I know is interested in diamonds or gemstones. My mother and grandmother love to look at them though (even if they can''t tell a blue sapphire and a ruby apart, bless their hearts!), and I''m always happy to show them my collection.
9.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
What about your group? Do you have friends you can discuss diamonds with?

No. Most people here married young and got .25ct to .33ct solitaires at most. Then they all had families and most got into money trouble. Upgrade? Ya gotta be joking. I see mostly plain YG wedding bands and only occasionally see a newly engaged woman wearing something like a 1ct princess in a white metal. I have yet to meet a married woman close to my own age who knows much or cares much about diamonds and has a PS-size rock on her finger.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
No one that I know is as interested as I am. I discuss with them, but it seems to me when anybody wants a new piece they just ask me to tell them what to get. My best friend is getting engaged soon and we found her a lovely Scott Kay. The next hurdle is when her bf and I got to pick a diamond to put in it. He doesn''t get it. He says that he can''t see what the difference is between them. UUrrgghh.

I have recently been on a search for a coworker that is looking to get earrings for his wife. I told him what I know, but he still wants to go to the local place because that is what he has always used. At least it isn''t in a mall.

Another coworker is looking at erings. She at least knows designer rings and diamond shape.

It is tough when I try to talk to someone about it and they look bored. How can they be bored??
33.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another voice to the "noone I know" chorus. Actually most think I''m slightly psychotic.

My mum very sweetly humours me, but her tastes are so different from mine: classic Indian jewellery is very rich in colour and texture, but precision of cut and setting is not a priority - which drives me up the wall. FMIL is definitely the most interested, but for her and FFIL the blue-box experience is part of buying jewellery (and they have the budget, and I''m more than happy to ogle the results
31.gif
).

I''ve always been the "researcher" in our circle, though, so when I started reading everything I could get my paws on come e-ring time they all just kinda rolled their eyes. I don''t generally talk about it, I don''t want to be judged as superficial.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results