shape
carat
color
clarity

Are your friends also interested in/knowledgeable about diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering as I have gotten a few odd comments from friends when the topic comes up. One friend commented that she'd "never heard of 2.5 carats... that seems weird. Who would get that?" Apparently she doesn't understand diamonds can come in carat weights like 2.5, or 1.35... she thinks they're all whole numbers! Well, Charlotte from Sex and the City got a 2.5 carat Tiffany solitaire for her first engagement! (Also, I have one, geez.)

My friends who actually have gotten engaged or about to get engaged are more knowledgeable, but far less so than even the casual Pricescope poster.

What about your group? Do you have friends you can discuss diamonds with?

purselover

Ideal_Rock
None of my friends are one of my recently engaged friends knows nothing about her ring, not even what type of metal it is.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Nope, none of them are really interested. They just kind of roll their eyes at me. *shrug*

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
very few of my friends are interested in diamonds or gemstones. I tend to be a) the more jewelry oriented one and b) the more fashion oriented one.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of my friends are really knowledgeable. Many have gotten upgrades, but none did any research beforehand. That stuns me! I cant imagine not doing
any research before any big purchase!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
For the most part, no. One friend is very interested in jewelry -- she has a ton of nice pieces and is never without earrings and rings, at the least -- but she isn''t very knowledgeable. She hasn''t purchased any of it for herself, so she doesn''t see any reason to know more than the size and metal. She can''t understand why I know so much more about diamonds and gems than she does when I generally wear very little jewelry!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Um, no. I got one of my friends to lurk PS when she was getting engaged (ended up with an amazing sapphire ring) but the rest couldn''t care. They do love when I help their bfs pick something out for them, though! They all think I''m nuts for caring so much.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
only the ones in the jewelry trade,and only a few of them even discuss jewelry outside of the store.To most its just another retail job.Most say im the most passionate/obsessed jewelry person they know!
30.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not interested in the slightest. My grandmother probably knew a bunch but I''m not even sure of that.

I talked to my mother last night and told her about a diamond I found (sold now -- so sad) that would make the perfect center stone for me. I used words like "clarity" and "color".

Her response: I don''t have the first clue what you just said.
(she''s got something around .5ct solitare in a yellow & rose gold setting -- of course she couldn''t even tell you that)

Looking at jewelry is so sad. No one knows anything. Don''t have anyone to come with me and give any input other than "it''s too big", "it''s too small", "isn''t that pretty looking".

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Only a handful of my friends are interested in diamonds. I wish more of them were so we could go jewelry shopping together. I''m thankful that my mom is interested somewhat because she gets to model my pieces for me when I''m trying to decide what to buy. That or she''s just a really good sport!
26.gif

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Not in the slightest.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 9:28:23 AM
Author: princesss
Nope, none of them are really interested. They just kind of roll their eyes at me. *shrug*
ditto....

and no one is knowledgeable about diamonds in my circle of friends.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope...not interested...I just cant relate
9.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
None of my friends care at all. They leave all the jewelry buying to their poor DHs.

Now their DHs all seem to call me now for advice. not that I am an expert.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Nope, just me. When I talk ''diamonds,'' I get the eyes-glazed-over look a lot. Oh well
20.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 9:21:59 AM
Author:Gleam
Well, Charlotte from Sex and the City got a 2.5 carat Tiffany solitaire for her first engagement! (Also, I have one, geez.)

2.17 carats actually
2.gif

My friends no nada and while my brother knows about my passion and knowledge he chose to disregard it when he just bought his FI her ring- I cringed when he read me the specs.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 1:52:43 PM
Author: Bia
Nope, just me. When I talk ''diamonds,'' I get the eyes-glazed-over look a lot. Oh well
20.gif

exactly.

I did find out a great-aunt is into jewelry, but she''s still stuck in the old "blue flour and D is always best" state of mind.

That''s why I spend my time here.
41.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
None of my friends are. Half of them don't know anything about their own engagement rings. I had one girl keep trying to tell me that her diamond was called an "Ideal" as in, that was the shape. She kept saying, no, it's like a round one but it is square, that's why they call it an "Ideal." I was like, is it a Square H&A? A Cushion? A radiant? I tried explaining to her that different types of shapes/cuts can be called "ideal" but she refused to believe me. Who knows! (I still haven't seen it, she lives out of state!). Unless this is some new type of cut I'm unaware of, pretty sure there isn't a "shape" called Ideal!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Not even. My mom loves costume jewelry, and I got her a little .2ish ct antique diamond pinky ring for Xmas- it was the first diamond she's ever owned, her e-ring is sapphire. She's the closest of any of my family or friends to be interested in jewelry.

I have helped a good number of family members find antique e-rings, though- my BIL had me pick out his wife's ring actually, and I had to keep steering him away from the irradiated blues.

They still think I'm a bit of a lunatic, and I am definitely the "girly-girl" of all my friends and family, pretty much the only one who wears makeup even, let alone much jewelry.

Gleam, that's hilarious that your friend thought carat weight could only be whole numbers. I had a dealer at our antique mall bring a ring he'd bought to resell in to show me and he was all "The clarity is great! It's J!"

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Nope, none of my non-PS friends are interested! My mom has a lot of beautiful jewelry, but she doesn''t really like to research the technical details.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Our group is large, 2-3 talk about jewelry often [1 of them quite knowledgeable and wears tons of things ] the rest of us don''t care/wear too much.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I guess that is why we are all here, huh! Thank God for PS!!!

I''m in the same boat. My friends just roll thier eyes at me. They are like - Why did you wait so long for your diamond? I don''t understand what kind of cut you are looking for - is that round or square? What do you mean you can only get it from some guy in Long Island? (GOG!!) Why don''t you just go to Robins Bros? (GAG!!)

My brother, at least, is a little more into it...he at least did some pretty decent research when he picked a diamond for his wife so he puts up with my crazy talk! (I guess we *are* related!)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much no one i am acquainted with is all that interested in diamonds sadly. They all think i''m nuts too.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, no one is interested.

They also think upgrades and resets are very weird and don''t understand.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 4:00:01 PM
Author: Laila619
Nope, no one is interested.

They also think upgrades and resets are very weird and don''t understand.
yup. my bff told me she got plain silver bands and a plain silver ring for her wedding set. She let me look at it, and it was by Ritani... she had no clue... and there was nothing plain about it either.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My closest friends love jewelry but know squat about diamonds etc... They do come to me before they buy something, I love that.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I gave the jewelry bug to my best friend! She didn''t care much about diamonds until I started looking for a new e-ring. She had her great grandmother''s .50 OMC diamond, but had been told it was a rose cut, by a jeweler no less! She thought I was crazy when I said it was NOT a rose cut, LOL...someone else finally told her it was an OMC and now she believes it. And she wanted an authentic antique setting to reset her OMC in, I found it for her on e-bay and she loved it! But now may want to change to a halo, or something set lower...she works with kids and this setting is high. She and I now share a love of antique jewelry and it IS nice to have someone who understands...but she''s not into ''color, cut or clarity'' details either...she just knows a pretty ring when she sees one!

And my mom loves jewelry too... But that''s about it! No one else ''gets'' my interest in jewelry either! Which is why PS is so popular, it gives us a place to hang out and speak the same language!
21.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems someone only shows interest when they are about to get engaged or have a friend who is.

Then my name comes up.

I have walked several people through it and they have all been delighted with their rings from PS vendors.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I wish they were so that we could shop together. They don''t really care about the details and I don''t want to bring it up or ask questions.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
None of my friends are particularly interested in daimonds or jewlery and know very little about it. One of my high school friends who I see ocasionally is into daimonds and jewlery but dosn''t really know anything about them and get''s mauled with ugly poorly made peices all the time but she''s happy so I don''t say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results