shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell if I've got a fever or am just having a big ol' hot flash...

#PerimenopauseInTheTimeOfTheVirus

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn I’m so sorry you guys are now worried he was exposed to it...I’m hoping he will be okay...

Thanks @Mamabean, we think he will be okay but it's just ridiculous to have him go to an office when someone can meet him or leave the paperwork somewhere.

ETA: just found out the guy was in the farthest corner of that floor so far away from DH and nobody else around him got infected so there's some good news.

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may have already been discussed elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure it was posted somewhere.
I read today that it is good to have an excellent level of vitamin D in your system if you do get the virus. They are now thinking it keeps your body from continuing to react after it has fought off the virus, and lessens the organ damage.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This may have already been discussed elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure it was posted somewhere.
I read today that it is good to have an excellent level of vitamin D in your system if you do get the virus. They are now thinking it keeps your body from continuing to react after it has fought off the virus, and lessens the organ damage.

@Jimmianne I was once deficient and have to take 3,000 a day just to get me to 41...Did they say what the magic number is? I’ve been hoping to get near 50 with no luck.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mamabean, we think he will be okay but it's just ridiculous to have him go to an office when someone can meet him or leave the paperwork somewhere.

ETA: just found out the guy was in the farthest corner of that floor so far away from DH and nobody else around him got infected so there's some good news.

That’s good news @StephanieLynn!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne I was once deficient and have to take 3,000 a day just to get me to 41...Did they say what the magic number is? I’ve been hoping to get near 50 with no luck.

Hi I searched and it was stated between 30-60 ng/ml

Take it in the D3 form and daily smaller doses is better than larger spaced out doses. If you’re 40 now taking an additional 1000 D3 should get you to 50 Joanne. Probably.

Fwiw I would say to aim for 50 and above if possible.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK,OK, I'll go back to taking it. My nephrologist is going to do a blood test on my D3 level the next time he sees me. This was the push that I needed to put my bottle back with my nighttime meds. I'm prescribed 2,000 i.u. daily.

Deb :wavey:

Hi I searched and it was stated between 30-60 ng/ml

Take it in the D3 form and daily smaller doses is better than larger spaced out doses. If you’re 40 now taking an additional 1000 D3 should get you to 50 Joanne. Probably.

Fwiw I would say to aim for 50 and above if possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK,OK, I'll go back to taking it. My nephrologist is going to do a blood test on my D3 level the next time he sees me. This was the push that I needed to put my bottle back with my nighttime meds. I'm prescribed 2,000 i.u. daily.

Deb :wavey:

Den I’m glad you’re going to start D supplementation again. Take it with a high fat meal for best absorption.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy Thank you! I thought 4,000 was the safest limit to take. That’s why I take 3,000. I take it with a TBSP of peanut butter on toast for breakfast.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Excellent! My hubby and kids have been laughing at me for my vitamin stash. I went a little crazy at home when the supermarket panic buying first started - we were in quarantine and couldn’t get lots of things online and couldn’t physically get to the shops, so I panicked and bought lots of vitamins to compensate. We will be working our way through them for some time! It’s about the only thing I panic-bought, I promise, but it made me feel just slightly in control of something at least!

830C6FC9-7076-4AA5-8D5A-68F28BB25364.jpeg

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
I’ll just say though with the vitamin D - it’ll help your overall health but only if tests show you’re on the lower side! If your body isn’t low on it, it’s not a vitamin that is water-soluble and so your body can’t get rid of excess as easily, which isn’t good for you either. You can argue that you need a lot for it to class as ‘excess’ but it’s hard to 100% say unless you’re getting regular health checks.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those antibody tests are going to end up as useful as the virus tests if we can't get a whole lot more, a whole lot faster. I'm not sure if Canada is even onboard with the idea yet. Sigh. Also the price is daunting, and means fewer people will actually get tested. But I guess good for healthcare workers, so that's a positive.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we are all doing shelter in place, how are all of these people modeled to die? Does this mean the disease incubates for longer than they said?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we are all doing shelter in place, how are all of these people modeled to die? Does this mean the disease incubates for longer than they said?

Incubation period might be longer than 14 days in some cases but more so, our “shelter in place” is pretty loose compared to other countries. A few days ago I saw like 20 kids playing basketball outside. 11 states still haven’t given the order. A lot of people are still riding buses/public transport to get to essential jobs and then going home to families etc. there’s still free travel between cities and states etc.
Costco, liquor stores, etc are still full of people in close proximity.
People in cities living in packed buildings with who knows what kind of ventilation systems.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Incubation period might be longer than 14 days in some cases but more so, our “shelter in place” is pretty loose compared to other countries. A few days ago I saw like 20 kids playing basketball outside. 11 states still haven’t given the order. A lot of people are still riding buses/public transport to get to essential jobs and then going home to families etc. there’s still free travel between cities and states etc.
People in cities living in packed buildings with who knows what kind of ventilation systems.

Yes, I've been reading over and over on social media from people who work in groceries, pet stores, home stores like Lowe's, etc., that their parking lots are full all day. People are flocking there, many times with entire families, choking the aisles, just wandering up and down the aisles all day, and maybe buying one or two things. (Luckily, our Gov. DeWine, who's been pretty proactive in handling this, just today extended the stay-at-home order with an added stipulation that stores who wish to remain open have to prove they are essential and have to come up with a strategy to limit the number of customers who are in the store at any given moment. We'll see how that goes.) Where I live, in a smaller town on the outskirts of a medium-sized city, I see my neighbors go in and out on what look like little errands all day long - clearly not going to a work shift, as they go out for an hour or so, then back, then out again, all day. When I walk my dog, carefully avoiding being anywhere near anyone, I see houses where there are tons of cars on weekend days, with big gatherings that spill into the street. There are increasing indications that, for some, the whole thing is becoming politicized, and for people of a certain political leaning, there is actual concerted effort to defy stay-at-home orders as an act of political statement and resistance.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes! I don't like that they are calling it "shelter in place" as it is very much NOT that. People are out shopping for random stuff. Just because. Many bringing family along as something to do out of the house. Our neighbors are in and out all day.

It would get better if it could shift to truly essential only. No restaurant pick up (except maybe curbside so that our medical workers and truckers can get food), no non-essential stores open (maybe even close the toy sections and other optional areas?), and cut down the other "essential" businesses.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no way I want to go to a store right now. Like no way at all.... So far everything has been delivered. I've had to drive to a few places but stayed in my car (bank, pharmacy)

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is no way I want to go to a store right now. Like no way at all.... So far everything has been delivered. I've had to drive to a few places but stayed in my car (bank, pharmacy)

Same here!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My neighbors next door are giving me a wild hair. They have a friend of one of their grown children who comes by every day. They pile into the car with the mother and go who knows where. They’re in and out all day. Their son has been bringing my trash cans up when we would come here on some weekends. I would leave him money for just bringing the pail up because we wouldn’t be there when it
was time to bring it back up. Since I’ve been here isolating I have continued to let him bring the can up because I didn’t want to cut off his money. Since they are mingling and going out every day..who knows if this teenager or his family has the virus...He’s coming into my enclosed porch to get his money which I leave behind a pillow. I have to wipe off everything he touches. It’s a total disregard for anyone but themselves...carrying on like normal. I’m sorry to ramble but it makes me so mad and disgusted.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WA
Governor just extended stay at home orders through May 4.
I hope they actually start enforcing the essential business only thing. Got lots of landscapers, housecleaners, and others deciding that they are essential and continuing to work. (Including teams not just individuals.) It is so frustrating when many/most people are cooped up at home following orders and trying to minimize grocery and other trips while some chunk of people just keep it all going.

https://www.king5.com/mobile/articl...ay-4/281-e08790db-aa54-4718-8e2b-a7712ebc92e5

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My neighbors next door are giving me a wild hair. They have a friend of one of their grown children who comes by every day. They pile into the car with the mother and go who knows where. They’re in and out all day. Their son has been bringing my trash cans up when we would come here on some weekends. I would leave him money for just bringing the pail up because we wouldn’t be there when it
was time to bring it back up. Since I’ve been here isolating I have continued to let him bring the can up because I didn’t want to cut off his money. Since they are mingling and going out every day..who knows if this teenager or his family has the virus...He’s coming into my enclosed porch to get his money which I leave behind a pillow. I have to wipe off everything he touches. It’s a total disregard for anyone but themselves...carrying on like normal. I’m sorry to ramble but it makes me so mad and disgusted.

I hear you. Both houses diagonally across the street from us have people going in and out, in and out, all day long. At one house, I know that the mom and her adult daughter are both still working, as mom works at a large grocery and daughter is in charge of the live animal care at an area pet store, but the dad is in and out, in and out, all day, and daughter's latest boyfriend is coming over pretty much every day, and who knows how many contacts he has. At the other house, there's a single mom and her young daughter and son. She's in and out, in and out, with them, all day long; not long enough for a work shift, though. (She's already an annoyance to everyone in the neighborhood. She moved in about a year and a half ago to this suburban neighborhood with everyone on half-acre plots with eight - yes, eight - adult boxer dogs, plus another spaniel. She breeds the boxers and sells the puppies. We're not talking a very conscientous and responsible breeder who carefully researches the breedings with the health of the breed in mind and only produces puppies once a year or less; she cranks them out as fast as those poor dogs can produce them. In a village that prohibits anyone having more than four dogs, because they don't want kennels within the village limit. I informed her of the ordinances; her response is to put only four of the dogs out in the yard at a time when she's home, to make it look like there's only four. She then alternates the dogs, so that there's always four dogs in her backyard at all times that she's home, starting early in the morning until late at night. No one in the neighborhood can set foot out the door of their house without those dogs going crazy barking and growling and rushing the fence. The retired widow who lives right next to her has told me that she never goes out into her own yard anymore because the dogs scare her; she's afraid they're going to make it over the fence and attack her. When she has to go by the fence periodically to mow her lawn, she said she has to put a mask over her nose to avoid barfing from the overpowering stench of dog feces.) The other day she had some guy over and was standing in the driveway talking to him, not 6 feet away, and he was coughing like crazy.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've been reading over and over on social media from people who work in groceries, pet stores, home stores like Lowe's, etc., that their parking lots are full all day. People are flocking there, many times with entire families, choking the aisles, just wandering up and down the aisles all day, and maybe buying one or two things.

Thankfully our Costco announced today that they are allowing only 2 people per member card into the store at a time and are continuing to limit the numbers of people in the store at one time. Hubs was there yesterday and said there are scores of employees constantly disinfecting as many surfaces as possible.

This pandemic will go on a long time if people refuse to voluntarily isolate. I'm in favor of sanctions for those who are deliberately refusing to go along without a legitimate reason for doing so although I have no idea what those sanctions should be or how they'd be enforced. Maybe tattoo a huge red CV on their foreheads :P2

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're not talking a very conscientous and responsible breeder who carefully researches the breedings with the health of the breed in mind and only produces puppies once a year or less; she cranks them out as fast as those poor dogs can produce them.

That's a backyard breeder and she should be shut down. Do you have an animal control organization with legal authority to inspect the premises to see if she's properly caring for the dogs? If so, I hope you report her.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We aren’t trying to live in a police state so keeping one person from sneaking off to a SO might be hard (how could you prove that’s what they were going to do? They’d just lie and say they were at a grocer.) But I do think we have the man power to disband gatherings in public places like parks, break up actual parties, and we could do behavioral “nudging” like some European countries do where you have to fill out and carry a form when you leave the house saying which “essential” reason you’re out and about for. There’s a fine for being caught without the form. Sure you could lie but I think a lot more people would be less flippant about grocery store trips for one banana if they had to fill out a form every time they left the house or risked a hefty fine. I like to think most people are more thoughtless than malicious.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No drive thru pharmacies where I live.

The universe has a sense of humor (or something) because the pharmacy drive thru got closed about a month before all this started to grow the space and remodel. Pharmacy is now crammed in a smaller corner with no drive thru. Got enough done that the old place was all torn up so can't just move back and postpone.

On the up side, every other business in the building is shut down so when I picked up a prescription a couple of days ago it was just me and the two pharmacists in the entire building.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got a new letter from the mayor upgrading the restrictions for leaving your house.
Now only one person at a time is allowed to be in a garden. A private allotment, one’s own land.
But the corner newspaper/cigarette shop is still open.

So it’s not OK for two people to work outside, but it’s OK for people to be in a Tabac ...and buying products that interfere with breathing.
Not complaining, just saying perhaps there’s no such thing as logic anywhere.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results