shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who are unsure of what to make of the conspiracy theories, I hope this helps put your minds at ease. This is an open letter written by public health officials and published in The Lancet. Emphasis mine.

The rapid, open, and transparent sharing of data on this outbreak is now being threatened by rumours and misinformation around its origins. We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin. Scientists from multiple countries have published and analysed genomes of the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), and they overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife, as have so many other emerging pathogens. This is further supported by a letter from the presidents of the US National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine and by the scientific communities they represent. Conspiracy theories do nothing but create fear, rumours, and prejudice that jeopardise our global collaboration in the fight against this virus. We support the call from the Director-General of WHO to promote scientific evidence and unity over misinformation and conjecture. We want you, the science and health professionals of China, to know that we stand with you in your fight against this virus.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie the Diamond Princess.

DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The freak out is annoying me.
Its not particularly catchy and its not particularly deadly.
Yes it needs watching and a few travel restrictions are a good idea but the level off freak out is nuts.
What I am afraid is going to happen is this one is going to turn out pretty mild, but the next one is really a cause to get freaked out but people are going to ignore it.

I agree and disagree, throughout history something as simple as the flu has wiped out millions of people.... until they create a vaccine 3rd world countries and old people and people with compromised immune systems are at risk. My healthy 73 year old aunt died in Australia with the best medical care from the flu, so I don't think we should panic, but I also don't think we should treat it lightly either....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't believe it, Missy. I've also heard some say it was deliberately planted there by a foreign government to make it look like something had leaked from a Wuhan biological warfare lab. And that one of the protein binders on the virus binds to a protein only found in males of Chinese descent, so it doesn't infect Caucasians at nearly there same contagious rate. Conspiracy theories all.

Yeah I do not believe it. Just sad there are so many crazy rumors always. (Some) People suck. Does nothing to make the situation better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree and disagree, throughout history something as simple as the flu has wiped out millions of people.... until they create a vaccine 3rd world countries and old people and people with compromised immune systems are at risk. My healthy 73 year old aunt died in Australia with the best medical care from the flu, so I don't think we should panic, but I also don't think we should treat it lightly either....

I am so sorry @arkieb1 about your aunt. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know which cruise ship? It might not necessarily be the case that the length of time was insufficient. It seems the problem was inadequate infection control.

Both length of time was inadequate as well as inadequate measures taken IMO.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry to hear about your aunt. :(
When a Chinese restaurant put up signs saying "The staff here have not visited China" and it makes the news the level of freak out is nuts.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 14 day period is fine, but a cruise ship was NOT equipped to handle hospital level quarantine. They should have evacuated the ship and put them into hospitals 2 weeks ago, I'm guessing it wouldn't have spread so much.
As an aside, cruise ships are one of the filthiest things in general, so its no wonder (to me) that this spread like wildfire throughout.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big falls on stock markets today, even they’re starting to freak out.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

voce

Ideal_Rock
As far as the facts, here is what my father heard from one of the three leading experts on coronavirus in China (they were in the same class in medical school in China way back).

• 80% of cases are mild. Children and young adults have a better chance of the case turning out to be mild and not life-threatening.
  • The disease is deadly because once you have difficulty breathing, it may be too late to treat. The infection pathway for coronavirus is the reverse of most respiratory illnesses like pneumonia; the virus attacks the air sacs in the lungs first, so by the time a lot of people feel symptoms, the air sacs are already filled with fluid from an immune response.
  • Once the disease has taken hold, the best treatment found so far is to regularly give a specific cocktail of antimicrobials and hormones to patients to suppress the body's immune response to a level that the air sacs in the lungs are not filled with the fluid. Makes for a slow recovery, but better than dying from sepsis. Obviously not a vaccine, and obviously not recommend for people who are not yet proven to have a severe case of the disease.
  • No info yet on testing of remdesivir.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce Theres been some interesting reports that people are testing positive with as little as a rash + cough, so those are probably the more mild cases. Unfortunately they are still contagious and may not take it seriously if its "just" that.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this is over by fall as I am scheduled to go to France. I hope no one get's sick believe me, since our fearless leader has created so much fake lying news, I don't believe anything the US government says anymore. BBCnews is where I am getting my info and they are starting to have more stories about Italy and Japan. Why it killed young men I don't get.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I am. To the point that we have a European vacation booked in early June and I’m watching the news daily, for fear of it becoming a pandemic. I realize this makes me sound paranoid. But. It’s hard not to worry when I’m planning my trip.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this is over by fall as I am scheduled to go to France. I hope no one get's sick believe me, this our fearless leader has created so much fake lying news, I don't believe anything the US government says anymore. BBCnews is where I am getting my info and they are starting to have more stories about Italy and Japan. Why it killed young men I don't get.
Omg. This! Our is may 30th!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I hear you, my nephew is getting married in wine country, my older son is so excited to finally go to Europe he's book his families flight and my granddaughter (his daughter) at 10mos has her cute little passport. I hope you don't have to worry in May Nala.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I'm concerned. The numbers have just spiked in Italy, which is reeling right now, so Europe is probably going down soon. I also just read a piece where the epidemiologist interviewed said he thought that it is now too late to be contained, that somewhere between 40-70% of the world's population is going to contract it, and that since you don't get long-lasting immunity with coronaviruses. that it's very possible that "cold and flu season" will become "cold and flu and COVID-19 season". I hope they come up with a decent vaccine ASAP.

Oh, and the mortality rate is currently 3.3% and edging up daily.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but even if so, this is THE BEST place to get info that is purely numbers, and in near real-time.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ksinger That's the map I use as well.
My friend lives in seoul and their numbers recently spiked as well. No one is going to work or school, they are under self quarantine and basically conducting everything online if possible.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
100% terrified. I’m in healthcare in a city that was hit hard by SARS, but didn’t blink at SARS, mers, h1n1. I think this is going to be bad.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 73 year old aunt got the flu which developed into pneumonia 1.50 years ago in our Aussie winter in a semi tropical (so not particularly cold) climate and died. She was fit, had no other health issues and it was totally unexpected.

I'd guess that if Corona spreads, particularly to other 3rd world areas, it will be severe, it already is a severe medical crisis in Wuhan.

Live statistics;

Im so sorry to hear that
73 isnt particularly old these days :(2
a good reason to get the flu shot not that its guaranteed but its at least something

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s scary. I was born in Beijing, but have lived in Aus for 22 years. I’m young so I’m not afraid of the virus, but I haven’t enjoyed the racial discrimination that’s arisen as a result.

Im sad to hear that too hedgehog :(2

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds - My Mother and Father in law got the flu shot last year and both of them got the flu, they still at 78 and 86 work in their shop full time and have people go into the shop coughing on them so it doesn't cover every strain.

I can't remember but I think the aunt that died may have actually had a flu shot too. The flu was bad in Australia the last 2 seasons. She developed pneumonia from the flu and that is what killed her.

I suspect when the World Health Organisation announced today that we are on the verge of a pandemic Corona has to potential to wipe out a lot of people if it can't be contained in Europe.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds - My Mother and Father in law got the flu shot last year and both of them got the flu, they still at 78 and 86 work in their shop full time and have people go in their coughing on them so it doesn't cover every strain.

I can't remember but I think the aunt that died may have actually had a flu shot too. The flu was bad in Australia the last 2 seasons.

I suspect when the World Health Organisation announced today that we are on the verge of a pandemic Corona has to potential to wipe out a lot of people if it can't be contained in Europe.

I got the flu that year too
i think the vaccine wasn't the right mix of strains for whatever we got here
i was off work for 3 weeks
Last year i couldn't get it because there was a shortage of the vaccine here and old, young and people with cronic illness took priority

One thing that worries be about Corona is the other half has an auto imune disease we are only just getting a handle on
last winter we didn't get sick once because i havn't been working but im broke and really need to go back to work asap

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more I think about it, the more I’m afraid of going to France in April. I don’t want to be attacked because I’m Chinese American.

There have been attacks all over the world against Asians.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I am. To the point that we have a European vacation booked in early June and I’m watching the news daily, for fear of it becoming a pandemic. I realize this makes me sound paranoid. But. It’s hard not to worry when I’m planning my trip.

We‘re also booked for France, but in July. We could, at a push, manage to drive there and thus avoid public transport. I’ve been so looking forward to going, and am really hoping we don’t have to cancel!

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
The more I think about it, the more I’m afraid of going to France in April. I don’t want to be attacked because I’m Chinese American.

There have been attacks all over the world against Asians.

Don’t let racists ruin your trip.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results