shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It gets my attention. My daughter who is a critical care paramedic, was in the Cath lab yesterday at the suburban Chicago hospital that has two cases. She assured me she wasn’t near the isolation area they are in, but still...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just learned that Canada is not examining or monitoring anyone coming in from China via airline travel, at all. So IMO it's already too late. I hope no one around me gets sick. I've done all I can, and am self-isolating completely which is what I have to do. Stay safe everyone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said I was more worried about the flu, but then I received a package from China late last week and now I’m afraid to touch it. o_O:roll2:

I didn’t realize that in early November, the socks I had ordered for my nieces and nephews (looks like cat paws) was from China.

Can this virus survive on surfaces and if so, for how long???

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said I was more worried about the flu, but then I received a package from China late last week and now I’m afraid to touch it. o_O:roll2:

I didn’t realize that in early November, the socks I had ordered for my nieces and nephews (looks like cat paws) was from China.

maybe a couple of days? pretty sure you're safe. otherwise, spray the package with lysol?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe a couple of days? pretty sure you're safe. otherwise, spray the package with lysol?

I thought about that too.... spray everything down with Lysol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spreadsheet it’s a legit link. My friend at Johns Hopkins sent it to me

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I'm worried. But I'm also worried about the flu and the common cold. I caught something last November/December and had fever/chills, an awful headache and terrible coughing for almost a week. The cough lingered on for weeks. I'm terrified of getting sick - it triggers anxiety/panic attacks and vertigo. :eek2::cry2:

One of my coworkers is stuck in Beijing right now. She went to visit family for New Years and haven't been able to get a flight back.

I work in NYC and have to take the subway trains to work and then I work in a building with thousands of people. So yikes, I try not to think too much about it and wash my hands frequently.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The BBC website has a report today, there’s a comment in it saying it’s unlikely to survive more than 24 hours on a tissue or clothing, so you should be OK? I can sympathise- I took delivery of my first jade piece, from southern China just as the first reports of the virus were coming through! I sat and looked at the package for a couple of days before getting it out!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am relieved to have heard from my friend in HK and my contact in China, they are both fine, despite the chaos and panics.

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well apparently Airlines have cut flights to and from China (American, United, Delta) Cruise ships have also cut iteneraries to China. Apparently if you're coming from china and maybe a few other countries, you will be held up to 2 weeks for observation. The President is supposed to be signing an EO pertaining to all of this.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister is paranoid. :rolleyes: She called me tonight telling me not to dine at a certain Chinese restaurant that she knows I frequent, b/c there are rumors going around that this restaurant had a worker who contracted the virus. I told my sister "too late now" b/c I having been eating at this restaurant once to 2X a week for the past 12 yrs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister is paranoid. :rolleyes: She called me tonight telling me not to dine at a certain Chinese restaurant that she knows I frequent, b/c there are rumors going around that this restaurant had a worker who contracted the virus. I told my sister "too late now" b/c I having been eating at this restaurant once to 2X a week for the past 12 yrs.

Well she might be right to be paranoid.

As an example of dangerous actions-
The Diamond cruise ship released a number of people without retesting them for the Corona Virus as they were supposed to do. Oy. I think where humans are involved there is much mismanagement and mistakes being made so who knows if proper protocol is being taken everywhere it needs to be.

Remember, just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us. :lol:
(the saying goes something like that haha).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This cannot be true.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't believe it, Missy. I've also heard some say it was deliberately planted there by a foreign government to make it look like something had leaked from a Wuhan biological warfare lab. And that one of the protein binders on the virus binds to a protein only found in males of Chinese descent, so it doesn't infect Caucasians at nearly there same contagious rate. Conspiracy theories all.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m concerned because over the Holidays and beyond the new year I had pneumonia for the first time ever and was one day from hospitalisation.
I was so afraid. It took me three months to recover, and I still have off days.

But like many here, I don’t trust click-bait headlines and talking heads, now that every news broadcast begins with some platicised humanoid proclaiming “BREAKING NEWS” even when the lead story isn’t an emergency.

My go-to source for updates is Dr. John Campbell, who is a teaching physician in the UK. He presents videos with reference links from most recent Peer-reviewed journals and he gathers the WHO statements together with research articles from big science authority publications and compares the data. Then he discusses the differences and how we can make decisions of how to put that data into context, and further how he would suggest making changes to daily life given the newest data.

Phew. That was a long thing to type on an iPhone keyboard!! Anyway here is a link to his channel:

Best wishes for health and safety for everyone and their families.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rumours like that voukd destroy completly innocent bussiness - but im sure your sister was just worried about you
Here our Wuhan evacuees have done their 14 days quarenteen and now we have our diamond princess people in isolation but every day we read of people coming back from China and no one at the boarder asks then anything
mind you it seems more and more difficult for people to get home from China as no one seems to be flying there
its really starting to bite into our economy here - not just tourism but forsestry, fishing, meat processing
People are being layed off in retail in tourist towns

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m concerned because over the Holidays and beyond the new year I had pneumonia for the first time ever and was one day from hospitalisation.
I was so afraid. It took me three months to recover, and I still have off days.

But like many here, I don’t trust click-bait headlines and talking heads, now that every news broadcast begins with some platicised humanoid proclaiming “BREAKING NEWS” even when the lead story isn’t an emergency.

My go-to source for updates is Dr. John Campbell, who is a teaching physician in the UK. He presents videos with reference links from most recent Peer-reviewed journals and he gathers the WHO statements together with research articles from big science authority publications and compares the data. Then he discusses the differences and how we can make decisions of how to put that data into context, and further how he would suggest making changes to daily life given the newest data.

Phew. That was a long thing to type on an iPhone keyboard!! Anyway here is a link to his channel:

Best wishes for health and safety for everyone and their families.

Pnumonia is scary
A few years back now we got the flu and Gary got pneumonia
The hospital was full up so the GP said she'd see him again in the morning and he had made a marginal improvement so didn't need to be admited
He lost 2 stone and had no energy for months
It was pretty scary for a couple of weeks
i hope your still taking it easy and are fully recovered now

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Pnumonia is scary
A few years back now we got the flu and Gary got pneumonia
The hospital was full up so the GP said she'd see him again in the morning and he had made a marginal improvement so didn't need to be admited
He lost 2 stone and had no energy for months
It was pretty scary for a couple of weeks
i hope your still taking it easy and are fully recovered now

I’m sorry to hear about what happened to Gary. I wish pneumonia had caused me to lose weight but alas. Anyway best wishes for Gary!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry to hear about what happened to Gary. I wish pneumonia had caused me to lose weight but alas. Anyway best wishes for Gary!

Don't worry he put it all back on :lol-2:
at least he had some spair to loose
I can see how it would finish off an elderly frail person
You take care
Its eaiser said than done to stay away from germs

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 73 year old aunt got the flu which developed into pneumonia 1.50 years ago in our Aussie winter in a semi tropical (so not particularly cold) climate and died. She was fit, had no other health issues and it was totally unexpected.

I'd guess that if Corona spreads, particularly to other 3rd world areas, it will be severe, it already is a severe medical crisis in Wuhan.

Live statistics;

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 of the 30 or so Brits and EU citizens quarantined for 14 days on a cruise ship with confirmed cases were tested positive after they were repatriated back in UK recently, raising doubts whether 14d quarantine period is sufficient etc...

DK :((

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
It’s scary. I was born in Beijing, but have lived in Aus for 22 years. I’m young so I’m not afraid of the virus, but I haven’t enjoyed the racial discrimination that’s arisen as a result.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
It’s scary. I was born in Beijing, but have lived in Aus for 22 years. I’m young so I’m not afraid of the virus, but I haven’t enjoyed the racial discrimination that’s arisen as a result.

I’m sorry @hedgehog93, no one deserves that.

Drakiol

Rough_Rock
It is strange that the virus (according to rumors) is most contagious for the Chinese and Asians in general, at least some of the American scientists said so. I do not know what this would mean on a global scale, but there are reasons to think. If this is true, then you can think about sabotage.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 of the 30 or so Brits and EU citizens quarantined for 14 days on a cruise ship with confirmed cases were tested positive after they were repatriated back in UK recently, raising doubts whether 14d quarantine period is sufficient etc...

It isn't.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm concerned about this too. I need to go the UK soon for something urgent and am afraid. There are already reports of Asians in the UK being attacked and insulted.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you know which cruise ship? It might not necessarily be the case that the length of time was insufficient. It seems the problem was inadequate infection control.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The freak out is annoying me.
Its not particularly catchy and its not particularly deadly.
Yes it needs watching and a few travel restrictions are a good idea but the level off freak out is nuts.
What I am afraid is going to happen is this one is going to turn out pretty mild, but the next one is really a cause to get freaked out but people are going to ignore it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results