shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having worked in controlled environment for years, including gowning up in bunny suits to work in Class 100 areas, I am aware of the limitations of paper thin face masks with open sides.
Therefore, I am not bothered about wearing them myself.
However, to some, it is an important deterrent against infectious diseases in their minds.

@missy, thanks for the link, however, at over 8 GBP each including shipping, and would take 3 weeks to arrive in UK, I shall give them a miss.

DK :))

Oops, sorry. I was hoping there was something more immediately available for you to send your friend @dk168 but I guess it is naive of me to think now, at the height of craziness about this virus such masks would be readily available to the public. When even health care professionals are having trouble getting supplies they need.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, sorry. I was hoping there was something more immediately available for you to send your friend @dk168 but I guess it is naive of me to think now, at the height of craziness about this virus such masks would be readily available to the public. When even health care professionals are having trouble getting supplies they need.

Yup, some venture capitalists are having a field day I am sure!

DK :devil:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just tried to look for face masks to buy to send to my contact in China, to discover sharp price increase, limited availability and long delivery date.
No surprise in that a lot of the items listed on eBay are based in, you guessed it, China!
For Amazon, those available via Prime are far and between and very expensive!
Hey ho.

DK :(

Actually this is not an original idea, a lot of people have already shipped boxes back to friends and family in china (and there has also been a lot of extra demand) to the point where it's more or less impossible to buy them in some places -- I've walked past 2 chemists this week with ~50-100 person ques, both appeared to have run out of stock before the que cleared.

Possibly one of the better reasons for having them though may actually be to protect others. As if you cough or sneeze into the mask the larger water droplets will mostly be caught. It looks like this is a virus that spreads by larger water droplets. So it would be actually a super good idea if everyone wore them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meanwhile, Canada is just leaving 126 citizens stranded. :roll2:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Having worked in controlled environment for years, including gowning up in bunny suits to work in Class 100 areas, I am aware of the limitations of paper thin face masks with open sides.
Therefore, I am not bothered about wearing them myself.
However, to some, it is an important deterrent against infectious diseases in their minds.

Exactly my thought. I have to do regular fit testing for my masks and respirator. My face is narrow so it’s a huge pain the find anything that fits me.

I’m doing chemical research so I wasn’t sure if it was the same deal for pathogens.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normal face masks will prevent the larger droplets from travelling, however, they do not stop everything. It will help in some ways I am sure, even if it is more psychological than practical.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly my thought. I have to do regular fit testing for my masks and respirator. My face is narrow so it’s a huge pain the find anything that fits me.

I’m doing chemical research so I wasn’t sure if it was the same deal for pathogens.

Same, hence the requirement to handle pathogens in bio-safety cabinets, and the need for containment should there be a leak etc...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd rather they have a plan for quarantine upon return first. Unfortunately bringing people back poses a HUGE threat to the rest of the country. I'm sure once the plan is sorted they will return. But I do hope they are required to stay in quarantine for the 14 days before being released.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather they have a plan for quarantine upon return first. Unfortunately bringing people back poses a HUGE threat to the rest of the country. I'm sure once the plan is sorted they will return. But I do hope they are required to stay in quarantine for the 14 days before being released.

In complete agreement. I read something yesterday that said (and I don’t remember the country sorry) they are only quarantining for 2-3 days. What good is that? Correct me if I am wrong but the incubation period for this virus is 10-14 days. And I wonder if they even know with accuracy the incubation period. But 2-3 days is not sufficient imo.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually this is not an original idea, a lot of people have already shipped boxes back to friends and family in china (and there has also been a lot of extra demand) to the point where it's more or less impossible to buy them in some places -- I've walked past 2 chemists this week with ~50-100 person ques, both appeared to have run out of stock before the que cleared.
The medical supply stores in town are all out of stock on 3M #1860 mask,so yesterday I had to go to Lowe's to purchase 400 mask to ship back to HK. These N95 mask are for woodworking,but hope they also work to protect against the virus. A friend of mine shipped 80 of these mask via UPS overnight to HK and he said the shipping was $240... :o

1580402104261.png

Can't find any of these mask in town.The medical supply stores are all out of stock and they say they have no idea when they will receive the next shipment.

1580403011280.png

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Me too, definitely. It's just that no one is communicating at all about what the plan will be, if any. Other countries have retrieved their citizens, and we should too. I don't know why we're not receiving any information. That part is not good. I am sure we will follow the same protocols as the other countries involved.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. And I am worried about international travel in three weeks.
I plan to wash my hands a lot more frequently than usual.

Edit: the masks on sick people might help protect heathly people from sneeze sprayed droplets, but not sure they’re as effective the other way around, I fear.

Edit: Well, I just did a google search and the masks do help...about 70% effective accordng to a study. “When combined with hand washing”.

My local drug store has already sold out their stock of masks!

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of the British people are leaving China on a chartered flight this evening, and will be brought to Arrowe Park Hospital in Liverpool for a 14 day quarantine period. They have a hotel type of building on site normally used for on-call staff, which is where they will house them. Liverpool Royal Hospital (where I attend to see my Haem Professor) has a set up for contagious diseases & also the School of Tropical Medicine is based in the city, so it sounds like our government have really thought this through.

Let's hope they are all clear & they can get back to their lives.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Part of the scary thing about this is that we have to wait for the mortality numbers. Even when there are reports of how many people are infected, it gives no indication of what stage the disease is at. Infected cases and deaths are not useful to people in making informed decisions. I'd like more information about how long the progress of the disease is, if there are any cases where people have made a full recovery after contracting it, or what. The only thing I know is the incubation period is 14 days, but how long does it take to treat before you can say the risk of mortality or the risk of further infecting others is over?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of the scary thing about this is that we have to wait for the mortality numbers. Even when there are reports of how many people are infected, it gives no indication of what stage the disease is at. Infected cases and deaths are not useful to people in making informed decisions. I'd like more information about how long the progress of the disease is, if there are any cases where people have made a full recovery after contracting it, or what. The only thing I know is the incubation period is 14 days, but how long does it take to treat before you can say the risk of mortality or the risk of further infecting others is over?

"they" (not sure exactly who lol) are tracking recoveries. Right now there are 8,235 total cases. 171 deaths, 143 recovered. Well that's what I've found at least, not sure when it was last updated.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The corona virus is around 0.1 microns in size and will easily pass through any of these face masks. The masks only offer limited protection to some bacteria, which are mostly a lot bigger than viruses. I wouldn’t bother- strict hand washing and no touching of the face makes sense.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
I parked for a company that despite giving us 10 sick days a year was really hard on sick leave
Pressure was put on management and employees were flagged if they had more than 5 days
we got this terrible virus while i was on leave and i got a doctors note for another week - it was like i was steeling from the company

I am so sorry @Daisys and Diamonds. That kind of treatment of employees really burns my biscuits! :x2 I understand when you're a nurse or health care provider or other essential staff but to make people feel guilty for taking their earned sick days is horrible! Hope that job is in your past!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry @Daisys and Diamonds. That kind of treatment of employees really burns my biscuits! :x2 I understand when you're a nurse or health care provider or other essential staff but to make people feel guilty for taking their earned sick days is horrible! Hope that job is in your past!

It sure is !
We were open every day except Christmas day, Good friday and half of ANZAC day :(2
Retail
And the thing with retail is you get sick because of work - customers and also supplier representatives and the Australian firm i worked for built Australian stores that didn't take into account the NZ climate so some days/weeks there was a terrible freezing draught as we had no heating except on the checkout (or the managers' rooms)...and for that matter no cooling either so the summers were so hot working in a bit tin shed

Hardly essential services
and not exactly the local dairy (7/11 type neighbourhood cnr store)
Just a big (greedy) big box hardwear store
I once had an argument with the complex manager that shopping was not quality family time

Sorry for the bit of a rant and off topic

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I am in Tokyo now and no face masks to be found in any shops here either, but at least the mood here seems less panicked than in Hong Kong.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I am in Tokyo now and no face masks to be found in any shops here either, but at least the mood here seems less panicked than in Hong Kong.

First two confirmed cases in the UK today. To me, it is always the case of when and not if!

DK :eek-2:

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock

I'm supposed to be flying to Tokyo in a week with my mom, but we are very concerned about the virus in terms of general chance of catching it, and also the chance that we'd have to cut the trip short and go home early. Is there a lot of buzz about it there?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm supposed to be flying to Tokyo in a week with my mom, but we are very concerned about the virus in terms of general chance of catching it, and also the chance that we'd have to cut the trip short and go home early. Is there a lot of buzz about it there?

Am not from Tokyo but their quarantine protocol for the folks that brought back from Wuhan is pretty iffy. Self-quarantine (instead of being brought to a centralized quarantine location) and 3 on board that tested positive for the virus.

Heard from someone in China that there are over 10k suspected cases, so I expect the total number of infected to climb quite a bit over the next few days.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Truthfully, I think it’s ridiculous to be evacuating people out of a quarantine zone when the incubation period is known to be at least 2 weeks long with people being infectious vefore they are symptomatic. It risks infecting everyone on the plane, the flight crew, the ground crew at whatever airport they land at, the health care workers (if, and that’s a big if, we do a 2 week quarantine when they arrive). This is politics trumping any kind of good sense. People choose to live places. Outbreaks happen. It’s not the government‘s job to put untold numbers at risk (including risking spreading the virus here) to rescue people from things that happen in the places that they are choosing to live. Diplomats and those sent abroad by the government are a different thing, but I don’t think they should be breaking the quarantine either. these evacuation plans will only result in more infections and greater levels of spread, rather than containing things so that they can be controlled.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think that what seems to be happening currently in terms of landing people in regular airports as regular flights is hugely irresponsible - and now exposes everyone else in or passing through that airport to the virus. It’s honestly guaranteed to spread the virus globally. The self-imposed quarantine is also unhelpful (as people who don’t feel sick yet are unlikely to strictly honor it - and how many people do they expose on the way home? I’d be inclined to stop to pick up groceries on the way home for example). I’m honestly surprised that governments are willing to risk thousands of people to look good ‘rescuing’ a few hundred people who might be just as safe (or safer) if they stay put and avoid exposure where they are.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly one of the better reasons for having them though may actually be to protect others. As if you cough or sneeze into the mask the larger water droplets will mostly be caught. It looks like this is a virus that spreads by larger water droplets. So it would be actually a super good idea if everyone wore them.

We are being advised here that the only useful thing to use the masks for is to put them on the people who are sick to avoid them spraying droplets when they cough or sneeze. But that they become useless pretty quickly once they become wet, so changing them often would be necessary even then. We have also been advised that the use of masks on healthy people actually increases risk, as it encourages people to touch their faces more (exposing them to anything they may have touched, which is how most droplet spread infections are transmitted - through touching something and then touching your face). So the Public Health officials here aren't recommending that people use them.

I'm only paying attention as DH is freaked out. He has traveled to Wuhan in the past (and all over China) and was recently in Toronto (after the case there was identified), and he said that people in the airport were all wearing masks. Of course, he wouldn't do anything practical like carry hand sanitizer or actually use it...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My problem with the Canada situation is this: I want to know in advance what we will be doing. If we are going to wait a month and then do something, fine. If we're going to leave everyone there, fine. It's disconcerting to not have heard anything concrete from the government. I don't want to suddenly hear that everyone has been brought back and they are on self-isolation. That's my issue. I (and others) want to know and agree with the plan. We're very close to Toronto. It will probably get bad here before it gets better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are being advised here that the only useful thing to use the masks for is to put them on the people who are sick to avoid them spraying droplets when they cough or sneeze. But that they become useless pretty quickly once they become wet, so changing them often would be necessary even then. We have also been advised that the use of masks on healthy people actually increases risk, as it encourages people to touch their faces more (exposing them to anything they may have touched, which is how most droplet spread infections are transmitted - through touching something and then touching your face). So the Public Health officials here aren't recommending that people use them.

I'm only paying attention as DH is freaked out. He has traveled to Wuhan in the past (and all over China) and was recently in Toronto (after the case there was identified), and he said that people in the airport were all wearing masks. Of course, he wouldn't do anything practical like carry hand sanitizer or actually use it...

Yes I agree. At this time it seems frequent washing of one’s hands and using 60% based alcohol hand sanitizer when washing one’s hands is not possible is our best defense. And not traveling to affected areas if possible.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My problem with the Canada situation is this: I want to know in advance what we will be doing. If we are going to wait a month and then do something, fine. If we're going to leave everyone there, fine. It's disconcerting to not have heard anything concrete from the government. I don't want to suddenly hear that everyone has been brought back and they are on self-isolation. That's my issue. I (and others) want to know and agree with the plan. We're very close to Toronto. It will probably get bad here before it gets better.

My sense is that they are planning to bring everyone back on a chartered plane and do self-isolation - just like they did with the wife of the man in Toronto who arrived with the virus. Given that this is the government, you can bet that it has been done for show without it really being thought through.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed. It’s the not knowing that makes it even more aggravating. If only they were communicating their intentions. Let’s hope they employ common sense. Goes a long way but seems to be in short supply.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results