shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I am because...
- having lived through the SARS period in Singapore, I still remember what a scary time it was.
- I think the actual number of infected is far far higher than reported, simply based on how many tourists from Wuhan visiting other countries have the infection, and how infectious the virus appears to be... given the number of Chinese tourists that visits Singapore, I expect the number of infected in Singapore to go up...
- It feels like the Chinese government missed the golden period to control the infection... if they had taken more serious measures a few weeks ago, I think the situation would be under much better control now

The good part is that many countries have learned from SARS and already have a suite of measures in place that will hopefully serve well this time round

Also unlike SARS the deaths from Wuhan virus that have been reported so far are mainly the elderly or those with underlying medical condition. Not implying anything but simply that if we take good care of our health then chances are better than for SARS when it was the young and healthy that were the most strickened by the virus i.e. pretty much nothing you can do.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm concerned. No one knows how this new virus is transmitted or mortality rate. Local and social media are highly censored. The government quarantined 40 million people and is building 2 hospitals in Wuhan to hold 2600 beds. And NYT just posted that China suspended all outbound travel for its citizens. 42 people are dead from the virus. It would seem that they are taking it very seriously.
Yup, I'm sure the real # is way more than 42 death.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We never got sick this year because we were hermits
Id be worried catching it and giving it to the other half because he has an
@GeliL i hope your grandparents and their circle of friends and family and neighbours are all ok
It's scary looking from the outside in

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re saying here that the virus could‘ve come from eating bats?

We were travelling all over China during the SARS outbreak, it was good for us because everywhere was empty and we were fine.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not yet, but the world is such a small place these days, more spread must be inevitable. There have been people tested here in the UK but there are no reported confirmed cases yet. I believe there is one in the US. I guess the situation will evolve over the next few weeks. I plan to keep washing my hands!

This. We are quite remote where we live & thankfully never have a need to visit bigger towns or cities if not necessary, but my husband works in Liverpool & commutes by train. Obviously there isn't any real concern right now in the UK, but I guess we would address it if there were.

Whilst the Chinese government are busy building new hospital facilities to treat potential cases, they should also look into shutting down the markets that sell live animals such as rodents, bats & koalas, for human consumption.....

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. We are quite remote where we live & thankfully never have a need to visit bigger towns or cities if not necessary, but my husband works in Liverpool & commutes by train. Obviously there isn't any real concern right now in the UK, but I guess we would address it if there were.

Whilst the Chinese government are busy building new hospital facilities to treat potential cases, they should also look into shutting down the markets that sell live animals such as rodents, bats & koalas, for human consumption.....

Koalas are native to Australia not China, unless you go to a zoo you will not see Koalas there....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is on prednisone for a lung infection, not related to being ill in the sense that it often just happens to him. He just saw his respirologist. He went to the walk-in clinic today because he feels it has progressed to bronchitis. There were 58 people in line, in a place I thought would only hold 20. He came home. Everyone was coughing away. Not a safe place to be. He'll just call his respirologist tomorrow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is on prednisone for a lung infection, not related to being ill in the sense that it often just happens to him. He just saw his respirologist. He went to the walk-in clinic today because he feels it has progressed to bronchitis. There were 58 people in line, in a place I thought would only hold 20. He came home. Everyone was coughing away. Not a safe place to be. He'll just call his respirologist tomorrow.

Gosh I’m sorry @lyra and I hope Your dh doesn’t have bronchitis but if he does that he can get treatment and that is works quickly. Is there any way he can get in touch with his respirologist today? Or an on call doctor associated with his practice?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy No, he can't get in touch until tomorrow. It's just that he's travelling for 3 days this week and it would be better to start treatment before he goes away. BTW, this infection started with gas poisoning. He took apart the top of our gas stove and was fine detailing everything and didn't realize he'd turned on the gas on one hob, until it was "too late". It's a serious thing. He should have gone to the hospital that day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy No, he can't get in touch until tomorrow. It's just that he's travelling for 3 days this week and it would be better to start treatment before he goes away. BTW, this infection started with gas poisoning. He took apart the top of our gas stove and was fine detailing everything and didn't realize he'd turned on the gas on one hob, until it was "too late". It's a serious thing. He should have gone to the hospital that day.

Omg that is super scary. I never even heard of gas poisoning but it makes sense. Sorry he had that happen and hope he’s doing ok. I was just telling my dh that I am starting to loathe weekends because if something bad happens healthwise we are stuck til the next workday with regards to getting in touch with the necessary physician. It’s crazy I am thinking that way but there it is. Sending good wishes to your dh and you @lyra. I totally understand how scary it is being immune compromised. Simple things for most people aren’t so simple for you.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Koalas are native to Australia not China, unless you go to a zoo you will not see Koalas there....

It was definitely reported here (UK) that the market in Wuhan was selling live koalas, along with wolf puppies and many other animals. It’s not beyond reasonable doubt that it’s artistic licence in reporting though...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was definitely reported here (UK) that the market in Wuhan was selling live koalas, along with wolf puppies and many other animals. It’s not beyond reasonable doubt that it’s artistic licence in reporting though...

:( :( :(

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I know, it’s horrible isn’t it? I know it’s hypocritical of me to say that as a meat-eater (albeit one who’s trying to cut down), but it stuck in my mind when I heard it as it seemed so wrong that Australia may have lost a huge percentage of their wild koalas in the fires, whilst they’re being sold for, presumably, food (unless I’m misunderstanding the market’s nature) on a continent they’re not indigenous to.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, it’s horrible isn’t it? I know it’s hypocritical of me to say that as a meat-eater (albeit one who’s trying to cut down), but it stuck in my mind when I heard it as it seemed so wrong that Australia may have lost a huge percentage of their wild koalas in the fires, whilst they’re being sold for, presumably, food (unless I’m misunderstanding the market’s nature) on a continent they’re not indigenous to.

I agree. It’s disgusting. Another reason I prefer animals to most people. (Many) People suck. :(

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know Koala's are native to Oz, but they were apparently selling them at the wet market where the outbreak has occurred. There were pictures of them in squalid cages, along with porcupines, dogs & skinned rodents. They are bred for meat & medicinal recipes. And it disgusts me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Koala's are native to Oz, but they were apparently selling them at the wet market where the outbreak has occurred. There were pictures of them in squalid cages, along with porcupines, dogs & skinned rodents. They are bred for meat & medicinal recipes. And it disgusts me.

I have no hope for human kind. You truly can judge people by how they treat animals. We are failing miserably. :(

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding from researching, is that these wild meat markets are not for mere sustenance, which might make sense. These are actually high price items. I also believe they have been ruled illegal, but they still exist.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty worried, but I don't think it will be as bad as sars. I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the updates (add me to the list that doesn't trust Chinas timing OR numbers), and luckily not flying anywhere for the next few months. IMO the action/reaction China is taking does not match what they are reporting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I am concerned.
First, while an epidemic can start anywhere, the huge population of China, its density, and the fact that it started in a big city, unlike SARS, is already bad.
With SARS, the Chinese government was able to isolate it, because it was a farmers’ area. Not so now. It is already out of the country, and into Asia. Cases in Vietnam, Singapore...I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does not reach India, another densely-populated country. That will turn it into a pandemic.
To add to it, my husband and son were planning to travel to Shanghai and then, Vietnam. Now, husband is in a long conversation with Delta, and they don’t accept coronavirus as force majeur circumstances to change the trip. Which makes me livid. (I said. “OK, you lose the money, but maybe save the life”. But aren’t travel companies supposed to be interested in preventing, not spreading, the diseases? Nope, they care only about the money.)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well that's weird I've been to many markets in China and I've NEVER seen a Koala at them, the have sun bears and a wide array of monkeys and other baby bears, dogs, cats, and things they eat but I have no clue how they'd even get access to Koalas, you cannot export them out of here and breed them unless you are a zoo.....

Aussie koalas have been decimated by Chlamydia and the recent bush/wild fires.

@missy - they have been chopping off the paws of live sun bears and other caged animals for medicinal purposes for centuries... it's very sad to see anything in cages at markets and bone thin, mange ridden stray cats and dogs in many areas too.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 cases here in the us now but we have IIRC 315 million citizens, so the flu is more to worry about as of right now.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5th case recently announced in the US... in Arizona

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not terribly concerned yet. I'm worried about those who are are at ground zero though. conditions are probably not great! @kipari I hope your husbands trip gets cancelled. saying a prayer.

I think many in the US are contenting with the flu. Plus Florida has had a pretty nasty ongoing Hep A thing going on all of last year. It wasn't really in the forefront of the national news but this thing is boiling in the background.

I'm supposed to travel in February but I will likely be teleconferencing instead considering. I already hate being in airports and as some of y'all know, I can be EXTRA when it comes to travel cleanliness.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following the news closely:

No school for many areas , curfew in some areas. No cars allowed in Wuhan. Travel bans. New hospitals.

I have to say that the Chinese ARE taking many drastic measures.

but I guess we would address it if there were.

We as democracies wouldn't be as efficient with these, I fear.

I keep asking myself if they have learned a lot from SARS, or if they don't tell the truth about this virus re mortality/aggressiveness.

DH (very fearless, scientific typic of personality) decided not to go to Shanghai, not to send any of his employees.

This is the guy who kept eating cucumber when we had the EHEC hysteria in Germany and people thought cucumbers were the culprit. Spanish farmers went bankrupt over this. He deduced logically that with the number of consumed cucumbers more people would be sick, so it has to be a more "niche" food source. Which turned out to be true.

This times he's more of the opinion that the Chinese government isn't telling us the truth. I'm inclined to agree.

I am more concerned now than when I first posted.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following the news closely:

No school for many areas , curfew in some areas. No cars allowed in Wuhan. Travel bans. New hospitals.

I have to say that the Chinese ARE taking many drastic measures.

We as democracies wouldn't be as efficient with these, I fear.

I keep asking myself if they have learned a lot from SARS, or if they don't tell the truth about this virus re mortality/aggressiveness.

DH (very fearless, scientific typic of personality) decided not to go to Shanghai, not to send any of his employees.

This is the guy who kept eating cucumber when we had the EHEC hysteria in Germany and people thought cucumbers were the culprit. Spanish farmers went bankrupt over this. He deduced logically that with the number of consumed cucumbers more people would be sick, so it has to be a more "niche" food source. Which turned out to be true.

This times he's more of the opinion that the Chinese government isn't telling us the truth. I'm inclined to agree.

I am more concerned now than when I first posted.

I agree - they're not telling us something. I think this because with the Swine Flu & the SARS outbreaks, they dealt with it & overcame it. With THIS virus, they are already throwing up new 1000 bed hospitals in preparation. For what????!

There is definitely more to this one as far as the Chinese Authorities are concerned. They are being quiet & dealing with it as they did the last out breaks, but the urgency of the new hospitals tells it's own story....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank God
I hope no one anywhere is eatting them
The fires have caused so much damage their numbers must be terribly hit

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A big segment on the news tonight about it because there was a false rumour it was in Queenstown
They interviewed perfectly healthy happy looking Chinese tourists enjoying the lake for their Chinese new year

Some Pacific island States like Samoa have already restricted flights from China
They just had a measles epidemic and it went to show that some of these less developed nations would not cope with a major epidemic so must do all they can now to keep the virus off their shores

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scrollable / zoomable map of recorded cases / number of cases / number of dead across the globe:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results