shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you supposed to tip a jeweler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I will be picking up my e-ring this week (oh my god!!!!!) and I was wondering if anyone here has ever tipped their jeweler for a custom piece. My jeweler has made a custom setting for my ring and is setting it as well.It just seems like everyone gets tipped nowadays so why not the jeweler? What do you all think?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t, and I tip most people. I would think that the person who actually did the work is the one deserving of the tip if any. (again I say not) That would be the bench jeweler, right?

shay

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that is who I deal directly with and that is who I would tip.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
absolutely not--you tip for service as in waitress,, waiter, bellperson, nails, hair---------if you contract with someone to paint your house do you tip them...no you pay them. a jeweler is not performing a service for you

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
emcry.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10% !?
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That thought never crossed my mind. The prices I pay, they should tip me for giving them the work, LOL!!
31.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/4/2005 11:01:53 PM
Author: windowshopper
absolutely not--you tip for service as in waitress,, waiter, bellperson, nails, hair---------if you contract with someone to paint your house do you tip them...no you pay them. a jeweler is not performing a service for you

Actually we perform one heck of a service for you if we are doing our jobs right. But we neither expect or are accustomed to being tipped. We consider ourselves professionals and I doubt most of you would tip your lawyer or accountant either... ;-)

Wink

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2005 12:47:08 AM
Author: Wink

Actually we perform one heck of a service for you if we are doing our jobs right. But we neither expect or are accustomed to being tipped. We consider ourselves professionals and I doubt most of you would tip your lawyer or accountant either... ;-)

Wink
No, but the local police, postal workers and package carriers all get choclate chip cookies and slime brownies.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Try this one:

"Buy low, sell high!"

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
you may provide good service but you are not providing a service..............there is a semantic distinction
Date: 11/5/2005 1:33:20 AM
Author: Matatora

Wink
No, but the local police, postal workers and package carriers all get choclate chip cookies and slime brownies.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2005 1:33:20 AM
Author: Matatora

Wink
what is a slime brownie?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all the years I've been collecting, I've never heard of tipping a jeweler. Most salespeople work on commission, and that should be sufficient. All the jewelers I deal with reward their customers by sending them special gifts after a big purchase and inviting them to special events and parties.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I guess, I was wondering if jewelers were accustomed to it. I didn''t want to not tip him, especially because the work is so good, if most people do so.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2005 7:23:28 AM
what is a slime brownie?

That also gave me pause, but I concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that Matatora had hit the wrong key, that she had meant to write, "some" brownies. I shall await her clarification with interest. All kinds of things (some made with gummy worms) I have never heard of do exist.

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Exactly so. I would consider it normal, however,to bring in cookies to my jeweler or to give him a gift on a special occasion-as I would one of my children's teachers. The truth is, I haven't done that though.

As I was thinking about this I realized that, in my case, the two gifts I had given to jewelers were: a baby gift to the daughter of one jeweler when that daughter had a new baby, and a baby gift to another jeweler when she had a baby herself! So maybe some of you guys had better start reproducing if you want a gift from me!

Also: one must remember that I tend to have longterm relationships with jewelers! I may go into a certain store just once for a special item, but my relationships with some of my jewelers can be measured in decades!

Deb ;-)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I worked on the bench for several decades and would occasionally get a tip from a customer but must say that it was pretty unusual. People would do it when the benchie or someone else on the staff would really do something really special. Things like staying late to do someone''s rush job or making a special delivery across town when you have to have it tonight. Although certainly appreciated, tips are neither necessary or expected. What most jewelers would really like is to see you continue to shop at their stores when the next jewelry buying occasion comes along.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I did because his recommendation saved me TONS of money and caused his bottom line to be lower.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bill: Sugarfoot will not place. Now DiamondMine might. Willing to help me dig into it more? It could be the big one. Betting is afterall a form of investment; and DiamondMine is always a gamble.

Perry

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I had somebody offer me a tip once :) Just seeing them happy was tip enough for me .

Referrals are the greatest tip !

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sent our jeweler an IdealScope with a note after the purchase which he promply threw in a drawer, never to be seen again!!
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results