carat
color
clarity

Are you still wearing your original wedding and engagement r

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why or why not?

I find I'm tempted to "upgrade", but I know that no new rings could compare with the sentimentality of my original set. My original e-ring is labradorite set in silver, and my wedding band is platinum. I wear them together and worry the engagement ring isn't durable enough to last the next 70+ years, but I'm reluctant to replace it because I really do love the look, and it's the one that DH gave me the day he proposed. It's very special!

So I'm wondering how many people have upgrades, and whether or not you're still wearing your original e-ring.

Q

Queenie60

Re: Are you still wearing your original wedding and engageme

I have an upgrade simply because my home was robbed and my original engagement ring and wedding band were stolen and never recovered. I like my current ring very much, it my taste however it's no longer a sentimental thing for me. Just a ring and maybe one day I'll trade it for something else, once my tastes change again. :|

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Two part answer:

Original stone: I still wear. I had it reset in white gold for our 20th anniversary. I wear it with newer anniversary bands.

Original rings: I set another stone in the erring, which is yellow gold, and wear it with yellow gold anniversary bands from years five and 15 as an alternative to the white gold set. The original band is in the safe deposit box. It's a little wider, and now difficult to get on, but for some reason I do not want to alter it from it's original state.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Engagement setting is different. Stone is the same.
Wedding ring is my original.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am! It's a 3 stone with an 18k yellow gold shank and a plain matching band. We bought it 20 years ago. The day we went ring shopping was one of the most memorable of my life and for that reason I can't see myself ever changing up. There was no internet shopping back then, and I dare say my diamonds are not the "best" quality. However, the ring fits my lifestyle and is pretty sparkly!

It sounds like you are in a slightly different position though, if you are concerned about keeping your original ring in good condition? Maybe you could have a similarly sentimental ring, say for an anniversary that could could change out with the other one? Then you have the best of both options!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I still wear the original stone in a new setting as a right hand ring. I have newer sparklies for my left hand. :)

When I originally changed settings, I was very emotional about it. But the reset is so much nicer! I still have the original setting, but it's sadly empty at the moment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

None are the original. The same goes for DH's wedding band.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

No, I am not. I still have my original wedding ring, but it's not comfortable. I've upgraded and changed settings several times. DH still wears his original wedding ring.

My erring/wedding rings weren't the most sentimental items for me- that would be the first necklace he ever gave me.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. They were both ugly and not my style. I was not given any input on the e-ring.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Same husband of 30 years, but different ring.

Come to think of it, I no longer have any ER.......HEEEEYYYYYYY. :Up_to_something:

cheers--Sharon

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I still have my original set from 11 years ago and intend to wear it forever. I was lucky in that I found Pricescope before we got engaged, so we were able to pick out an ideal cut RB for my engagement ring. :) Its in a classic platinum solitaire setting which I do not think will ever look dated, but even if it does, I love it so much that I would never trade it. Both my engagement and wedding rings have very special sentimental value for me and they remind me of two of the important milestones in our relationship.

However, I do love diamonds and when I had the occasional urge for new sparklies my hubby has been very supportive about complimentary items, eg RHRs, bracelets, earrings etc. :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband and I are both wearing our original band. It's only been 2 years though.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

we've only been married 6 months, but I can see myself upgrading at some point. It's funny how 1.7 carats seemed HUGE to me when I got it, and now I'm like "hmmmm, I could go with 2.5". This from the girl who told my then-fiancee that 2 carats on my 4.5 finger would be ridiculous, LOL!

The problem with upgrading is that it would be VERY expensive to upgrade both our rings (we are both women, with 1.7 carat center stones each)

Callmyname

Rough_Rock

I always say ring doesn't make a marriage....
I have few rings to change up my look. My hubby has three him self.. He likes jewelry.
We have been married for over 15 years.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

no I am not wearing either...my engagement ring was upgraded and I have several different wedding bands I wear. My original wedding band I still have and I do have sentimental attachment to it...I had gained weight and could no longer have it sized up any...however I have lost almost 30 lbs so I am getting close to wearing it again if I choose :appl: however it will take some getting use to, its a 6mm yellow and white gold band..I am now use to a skinny band, I currently wear a 2mm gold band 90% of the time...hubby has been thru a couple of bands as well, his original band is identical to mine and he out grew his band as well..I doubt even if he lost weight he would wear it..he likes his tungsten band...its almost indestructible!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. Lost both my wedding bands and my ering stone is in my ear.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. No longer have the original ER stone (or should I say stones LOL) and the original WB I have but never wear. Does not go with my new set and is no longer my aesthetic preference. I try not to think of all the $$$ it cost me figuring out what I really wanted. But I am grateful for all I learned along the way and for all my PS friends who became real life friends. That is more than worth it and then some!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nope. I don't have the ring he proposed w/ or the set we got married w/. Nor do I have the band w/our names/wedding date that we got so we'd have matching bands. This set I have now is 100% a set that symbolizes "us" as a couple. I have no regrets about the other rings.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

I don't wear it much anymore, but I still have the original ering that he proposed with and I wear it on occasion. I still wear my original wedding band everyday, it seems to go with all of my upgrades and alternate erings so yay! :Up_to_something:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is such an interesting thread!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Nope original pear was set in necklace then stolen then replaced then sold to buy studs.

Wearing my mothers engagement ring was more sentimental then the one my husband gave me as his mother bought the 1.00 pear for her sons when they were born . So I picked out the setting. Dont love the mother in law didn't like the ring.

My single tibny diamond band was given to my 26 year old daughter (she's gay)to wear every day on ler left hand

O wear my marquis wedding band every day.

DH has changed his wedding band several times also over the years.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Neither my ering or my band is original. I'm not sentimental.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

Nope. Not emotionally attached to the ring just the man.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DH and I upgraded our rings after 16 years of marriage. I am sentimental so my center diamond a .15 ct is in the center of a heart pendant. I still have both of our rings.

DH got a new ring and hasn't upgraded since. I have upgraded my ering 5 times now and my diamond 4 times.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, I can't find it - it's got to be in this house somewhere - I loved my ring but I was engaged in 1982 and honestly it's a dated style - it was also .33 carats and over the years I've grown to like bigger diamonds lol. So I would have upgraded eventually even if I hadn't lost it. I have my original wedding band but I don't wear it because it just doesn't go with any of my current rings. I really don't like it - I was 23 and I didn't know what I was doing :cheeky: !

I'd like to find it, maybe set it in a pendant, but I'm not really upset about it so I guess I'm not too sentimental about such things.

My husband has never even asked my about my original ering, as in what happened to it, why don't I wear it etc. Now that's unsentimental! :D

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Still wearing original pear ering since July 1996.
Have multiple wedding bands that I swap out.

Did buy a Tiffany fancy yellow (knife edge setting) and a CBI diamond (Vatche Serenity setting) as RHRs in 2014 so in that sense I did not upgrade but bought other diamonds.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do have an e-ring (when we got married it was not common to propose with e-rings here in the Netherlands). Originally my wedding band had gypsy set diamonds all around and I had to have stones renewed all the time as I continued breaking them. A 'new' band with the same dimensions has now been made with 4 sapphires representing every family member.
I love wearing the simple band during holidays and active weekends. I do not wear it every day like I used to do.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What a lovely thread.
I'm still wearing my original engagement and wedding rings, we picked out an 18ct yellow gold with solitaire 0.25ct diamond ( knew nothing about diamonds at the time,now I know it's slightly yellow maybe J/K ) but I was amazed by it then and loved/love it, it was handmade but not for us, just stock. I couldn't believe how lucky I was, used to stare at it when pushing the supermarket trolley along under great lights. I even declined a larger stone as I thought it was too big for me! Believe it or not at 0.25ct mine was even slightly bigger than most of my friends at the time..not these days..finger size 5.25 then but been enlarged once since to 5.75 ..like the rest of me!
It is OUR engagement ring, so very special to us both, it's a symbol also of our journey.
I sometimes consider the concept of a bigger, more perfect stone/ring but know that we would never do that, as this is the only one for us, nothing else would mean the same. If I ever lost this one we would just do without, nothing could equal it.

Oh yes, married 28yrs :) ultimately as everyone knows... it's not the ring itself that matters...

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Yes? No?
Same diamond, third setting. Married 16 years. GIA, 1.1 w/ some spread. Good cut (old GIA, doesnt state cut, guessing cut ). I color. VS2. Always liked it. Cut never bothered me. :)

I just purchased a 2ct. That will be my main ring to wear on left. So, yes? Upgraded? But keeping the old and will wear it on left hand simetimes also. Intent was to sell old, put $ towards new. Offers were about $3k, including setting. Forget that. Better off keeping.

:) GL! Each time I changed my setting, I thought it would be the last time. Lol. Hard to know the "forever" for 20 years down the road if u are a jewelry lover.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, I don't wear them but I do have the engagement ring setting (stone traded) and original wedding band. My band is 4mm thick and not so comfortable for me anymore. I have upgraded my engagement ring diamond and setting several times!

My husband wore his original wedding band (never took it off) until it had just about worn thin. We replaced his with a Tiffany band and I have a Tiffany band as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results