shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you planning something special for the solar eclipse?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD THIS STUPID EFFING ECLIPSE I SWEAR.

I live in "the path of totality." There's actually a soundbite that all the radio stations (local ones anyway) keep using when this is discussed. I admit that makes me laugh out loud now because it's so asanine. People have descended on this city and it's suburbs and surrounding areas like some moron discovered jesus in their grilled cheese. The way most of this city is acting, you'd think we were some fat guy named Cooley in overalls and we were going to be visited by aliens on our empty field in Kentucky or something. IT GETS DARK LITERALLY EVERY NIGHT. What is the big deal!? Why are we bringing food trucks to a national cemetery and singing the national anthem like this is a national holiday? Why is half the city shutting down?

:wall:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay , just make sure those glasses are ISO approved for the solar eclipse!
Your interior design and decorating skills will, no doubt, be in hot demand having seen photos of your lovely house boat!
=)2

December Fire, you are far too kind! The gut rehab of my current main house (which was a photography studio when I bought it) was pretty interesting too. Completely different -- I've not got 2800 square feet with 13 foot ceilings and no walls (except for the bathrooms). I've probably posted enough pics of that space by now that people are tired of seeing it!

And thank you for the reminder on the ISO!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At Crater of the Diamonds Park now. Heading to Nashville in a few hours. That diamond hunting stuff isn't for the faint of heart - especially I summertime heat and humidity! But it's been on my "bucket list" for a long time and I'm glad to be here. Here's hoping for good eclipse conditions!

VR, did you find anything at the park?!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD THIS STUPID EFFING ECLIPSE I SWEAR.

I live in "the path of totality." There's actually a soundbite that all the radio stations (local ones anyway) keep using when this is discussed. I admit that makes me laugh out loud now because it's so asanine. People have descended on this city and it's suburbs and surrounding areas like some moron discovered jesus in their grilled cheese. The way most of this city is acting, you'd think we were some fat guy named Cooley in overalls and we were going to be visited by aliens on our empty field in Kentucky or something. IT GETS DARK LITERALLY EVERY NIGHT. What is the big deal!? Why are we bringing food trucks to a national cemetery and singing the national anthem like this is a national holiday? Why is half the city shutting down?

Wait!!! What?!?!
You discovered Jesus in your grilled cheese?!?! :appl:

I'll be right there!
After seeing the face of Jesus in the grilled cheese, I'll head to the cemetery to sing with the crowd!
:dance:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, They're probably shutting down because they want to see it... Seriously though it can be dangerous during totality, being that it goes to total darkness in the middle of the day. Streetlights (if they're on a schedule) may not turn on. People may do stupid things(ok more than usual) With people being so damn sue happy I can see why some places are taking the extra precautions.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, They're probably shutting down because they want to see it... Seriously though it can be dangerous during totality, being that it goes to total darkness in the middle of the day. Streetlights (if they're on a schedule) may not turn on. People may do stupid things(ok more than usual) With people being so damn sue happy I can see why some places are taking the extra precautions.

I read an article on Bloomberg also about how power grids may be affected as more electricity is needed to take up the slack in what is normally powered by solar.

As for people doing stupid things... LOL, that happens in the blinding light of day, dark of night, and everything in between!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read an article on Bloomberg also about how power grids may be affected as more electricity is needed to take up the slack in what is normally powered by solar.

As for people doing stupid things... LOL, that happens in the blinding light of day, dark of night, and everything in between!

I also read something about cell phones may be affected. Solar I can see, though I have to wonder how many solar fields are in the zone of totality. Further out from the zone and those should not be too affected (most fields have a way of storing that energy so unless they were without sun for days on end, should be ok.

We agree that folks don't need an eclipse to do stupid stuff, some however use use it as an excuse to be even stupider.:lol:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cats went bonkers -- eclipse madness. Started running up and down the hall making various noises 6 minutes before totality and then stuffed themselves under the bed. I didn't expect that.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3150.JPG

My office right now!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit, I was like "whatever" when I ordered my ISO glasses. But seeing the eclipse was actually really cool. It got dusky and the sun looked like a crescent moon.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cats went bonkers -- eclipse madness. Started running up and down the hall making various noises 6 minutes before totality and then stuffed themselves under the bed. I didn't expect that.
Oreo let out a loud mmmmmrrrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwww when it peaked. Animals know something us up!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

So, it actually DIDN'T get totally dark. It got about as dark as it does during a nasty storm. It was kind of weird! Not much really happened otherwise. The "totality" was a blink. It was over really quickly. The crescent stuff lasted longer but otherwise, it seemed like longer than 2 minutes for "totality"! No power surges or outages, phones worked fine. Took some photos and got a couple that actually worked.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so cloudy here that it was pretty uneventful. It got a tad darker but that was about it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a partial eclipse, when I went outside there was a really quiet eerie feeling out there.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a refund.

I decided to go outside, feel the temperature drop, see the amount of light change, watch the birds and squirrels for any changes in behaviour or cessation of birds chirping.
We are/were (apparently, its still occurring) only supposed to get about a 61% partial eclipse, but there's special viewing that's been arranged for this 'amazing event', so I expected something.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
Wouldn't know there was any 'first time this Century' event going on if it hadn't been on the news.

The positive about it all is that I took my camera out and took photos of birds while waiting for something to happen. Hoping to have a few good shots since its a beautiful, sunny day. :rolleyes:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep. Exactly why I've been mocking it for months.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture i got projecting the Sun through a colander. We had about 99% eclipsed here.

Eclipse.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a great time here in Greenville SC. It went totally almost darkly, it was quite spectacular. There were many many people here at our hotel! We have had a family reunion (missing one sister).. it was great fun. I felt like I was at a 'happening' like in the 60s!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a great time here in Greenville SC. It went totally almost darkly, it was quite spectacular. There were many many people here at our hotel! We have had a family reunion (missing one sister).. it was great fun. I felt like I was at a 'happening' like in the 60s!

How fun!:appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We had a great time at Clemson (decided to brave it). It was pretty neat. I had an app that told us exactly when to start looking for shadow bands and Baily's beads, which was helpful. DD (10) was so freaked by the whole "if you look at the sun without the glasses, you can go blind" thing that she barely looked. DS, DH and I thought it was super cool, though we couldn't tell if any animals reacted as there were too many humans around to hear anything. We are now on hour 4 of what should be a 2 hour trip home, with at least another 2 hours to go. I am sweaty and smelly and WANT A SHOWER!! I haven't felt this nasty in years, but Bertie sure does look good!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I overpaid for some glasses on the approved list and hung out with my family in my own backyard. Our own impromptu party. My dad stopped by and called it the Zombie-eclipse apocalypse (joking that the zombies apocalypse will begin now). :twisted:

We are too far up north for the full deal but I think it was 65-75% here. It was fun to spend time together and I enjoyed being able to look at the sun (which looks a lot smaller without that blinding halo of light around it). Overall, a great afternoon. :lol-2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad I had our glasses because it was much more interesting than I thought it would be! Lol. We had about 75% coverage and it looked like dusk for usduring peak. Pretty neat! I had delivery men and neighbors here to see through the glasses. It was nice!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It got dark here. We had about 82% total eclipse. The temps dropped 2 degrees (and you felt it) and it was a very weird green color. My dog got a little crazy before, so lots of hugs and kisses and she settled down after I put a towel on her head.

I found that on one of the utility polls nearest my back yard is a parrot nest (its HYOOGE) and they were noisy right before the eclipse. They went totally quiet during, as did all the birds which was odd. (we usually see turkey vultures , Ibis, and hawks flying around too but nope, not during the eclipse)

I did NOT make it to NASA, which is a shame of course. (I love my job apparently....:roll2::lol-2:) Just as well, people were doing silly crap on the roads I heard.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
During the eclipse we were traveling back to NYC after the weekend at the shore. The sky had this ethereal feel like we were in some sort of sci fi movie. It was a hazy surreal sky. Very cool.

When we got back to NYC our garage attendant had just finished taking some photos that he shared with me.

eclipsebrooklyn2017.jpg

eclipse2017.jpeg

And then my friend Rob emailed me this photo he had just taken. Pretty cool.

eclipse2017.jpg

Our kitties demonstrated no new weird behavior but then they are kitties so they are generally weird lol. We were in the car traveling the whole time and they were very calm and business as usual for them so not sure why they were unaffected while other animals went nuts. Perhaps it was the calming influence of my dh and I beside them in the car...:lol: and the princess (HRH Francesca) laid quite comfortably in my lap as she always does the entire trip without so much as a peep...or meow.:halo:

Glad everyone enjoyed this momentous event and glad you all did it safely.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had terrible eclipse weather. We had a total eclipse in the prairies in 1979 that I remember, so we were excited even though we were only due to be about 75% here. DH and I made arrangements to be off work and got glasses....and the sky was totally covered in rain clouds and we got to see it for all of 5 seconds through a thinning of the clouds. Friends in other parts of town saw nothing. Apart from the 2-3 degree temperature drop, you wouldn't know it was happening. Boo.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey! Jesus in the grilled cheese is some serious shit man. You can only make fun of Mother Mary in a pancake.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic picture from space courtesy of NASA

This phase of the eclipse is called the "Diamond Ring". I would have thought that fact alone would have created more excitement about the eclipse among PSers... :mrgreen:

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
With a toddler and a baby in the house, I wasn't sure I'd remember (or be free at the moment) to go look with approved glasses, so I didn't buy any. Minor (non-)buyer's remorse about that since I DID get outside yesterday, but I got to experience quite a bit anyway--without looking at the sun, of course :lol:

We got just over 80% here, and beginning about an hour before our max, it got a bit eerie-looking outside. The light was an unsettling mix of orange and green, if that makes any sense, and it was cooler as we approached the eclipse. It was also unseasonably windy yesterday morning (we've been still and mid- to upper-90s most days), and we had a bit of rain last night. I texted my husband that I understood why medieval folks read portents into eclipses; it felt odd outside!

Big cat was on edge and agitated, constantly staring outside. Little cat (who's skittish at best) was nowhere to be found, which makes me think she was hiding rather than just tucked away asleep.

Even without the glasses, I got a pretty cool photo using the selfie mode on my phone at our max eclipse time. No filter--it got quite dark!

IMG_3884.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our friend Andy in SC sent us his photo of the eclipse in totality. Cool.

eclipsesc2017.jpg

Reactions: ame
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results