Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
87% of the PSers own at least one pet.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, with no plans to ever get one.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm petless as well. Used to need pets for company, but now I can barely keep up with 2 kids, so I'm good :)

I do love cats though, and wouldn't mind a couple, but husband and son are both severely allergic.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1294717987|2819446 said:

ditto

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, we are !!

but thinking about a dog - just don't know if we are ready for that again

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
Nope, but I'm beginning to think I'm making up for everyone who is!

We have two dogs (yorkie, and a border collie x lab), a cat, and five aquariums.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, and I'm another who's making up for those who don't. I have a cat, a parrot, and a saltwater aquarium with all sorts of critters.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yup...I live in a closet and wouldn't have time to care for a pet even if I did have the space. I like dogs and think it would be nice to have one eventually, but my husband isn't a dog person.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Not even a 24hr gold fish that you win at a school fair?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would love to have a small dog once we have a house/fenced yard, but we're in a one bedroom that doesn't allow pets, soooo... I live vicariously through my sister. She has this adorable 11 month old long-haired dachshund named Nico. I swear he is one of the smartest dogs I've ever known. :bigsmile:

nicoondeck.jpg

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Do fish count? If they don't..then I have no pets. My children want a cat (I'm allergic) and a dog. I told them I have 3 dcs to take care of and I can't see how I can handle taking care of a dog too (esp. the walking in the morning and evening).

We have a saltwater tank with a few fish..that's about it for us.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
IdLikeToBuyAVal|1294721100|2819485 said:
Nope, but I'm beginning to think I'm making up for everyone who is!

We have two dogs (yorkie, and a border collie x lab), a cat, and five aquariums.

UGH me too! Two dogs with me, two with SO (they're bigger and need more room), a cat, two horses, two turtles. I want a bunny.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I've wanted a burro since I was a kid! Still do, one of those adorable Mexican burros, awwww! Never will have room, money or energy to take good care of one, so will only keep wishing.

--- Laurie

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'm petless right now, but only because I'm deployed. I miss my cats. ;(

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
soocool|1294750424|2819602 said:

Not even a 24hr gold fish that you win at a school fair?

My mom got Amelia a goldfish and I hated it. It died pretty quickly. I can barely take care of my kid...not going to try really hard for a fish, and I certainly don't have what it takes to properly love a dog or cat!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Currently petless. JT wants a hedgehog for his birthday though. We'll probably get a dog when Lily gets older.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Petless PSers? I didn't know they existed.

:cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Haha, SS, a hedgehog! How cute. I'm sure they make very cuddly pets. :lol: My sister pestered my parents unmercifully all of her childhood for an otter. Good gawd.

I do admire you folks w/out pets who know you aren't in a place to give them what they need right now. So many people -- especially here in the south -- get a dog as they would a video game, "because the kids want one." Never consider it's a 2-way street. The poor creatures live alone in the backyard, not allowed in the house ("dirty!" OF COURSE they're dirty; they live outside, you idiot), and rot there after the newness wears off. "Oh, we love our dog," they say. Well then, show it! Find it a home where it's part of a family pack.

Sorry to sound bitter. I get steamed at folks who treat animals as objects, created for their amusement only. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with not wanting one. Bless the ones who know they don't have what an animal needs at the moment & have the..ahem..cojones to say NO to the kids. My parents used to say, "You want an otter? When you have your own house you can fill it up with otters if you want. But not here, now. Period." Off my soapbox.

--- Laurie

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'm currently petless. My very old, much beloved dog died last year, so I think it's going to take some time before I'm ready to take a pet again.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I am petless, but I love, love, love animals.

DH and I have absolutely ridiculous work schedules and hours, so we can't commit to a dog who needs consistent attention and care. A cat would be great for us, but I am pretty allergic, and DH isn't a fan. We have considered bunnies, but I again have allergy issues, and I think we probably don't have enough time to devote to their care and comfort. Neither of us are interested in fish, reptiles, or amphibians.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and dog-sit for my parents and neighbors occasionally, so that's how I get my animal fix.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
atroop711|1294758073|2819677 said:
Do fish count? If they don't..then I have no pets. My children want a cat (I'm allergic) and a dog. I told them I have 3 dcs to take care of and I can't see how I can handle taking care of a dog too (esp. the walking in the morning and evening).

We have a saltwater tank with a few fish..that's about it for us.

Fish count! At least they do to me :) Right now we have three tanks and since they need food & attention, they're part of the family along with our cat.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't even imagine it. :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Yup. I'd love to have a cat, but DH is too allergic.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Haven't had a pet in ~6 years.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with everyone else who is making up for those who don't have pets. DH and I have three dogs, a horse, and four fish tanks (two saltwater, two freshwater). We are currently catless though, which makes me sad. I miss having a kitty! ;(

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a dog, cat, a fish, and 4 hermit crabs. Currently the #1 pick for my older daughter for what she wants to be when she grows up is own a zoo. she has asked for: lizards, snakes, birds (parrots but really any kind) but we are holding the line.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I am petless.

No time to care for pets.

I am a cat lover though!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pets in our house in 30 years. I would love a dog but DH is allergic to all pets. (or so he says)

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Jewelfreak - an otter, that's hilarious. Had the kid been reading Gavin Maxwell? Ring of Bright Water fame/ Tarka the Otter....
And I hate hate hate people who think of animals as objects and commodities. I hate that, and sorry, off topic, but the meat industry too.

As for petzzzz, thanks to the OP who posted wonderfu wonderful Nico, gives me an excuse to show off Molls :appl:

My dear friend Cath brought Mollynooshka a christmas gift in the form of...... snakeywakey which was small enough for her mouth and comfortable to carry. That and slippers.

Nothing better than being met after a heavy day by a little black spaniel carrying a turquoise felt slipper :appl: unable to walk in a straight line through tail wagging too much.

But boy yes, you have to be committed. I honestly think it is the same level of commitment as a marriage or parenthood. A dependent creature who'll be around for years and years and no backing out. Not 100+% sure, (and not having researched and researched again), just don't do it. MHO

Oh and rescue rescue rescue (neuter neuter neuter) Molls was in sing-sing when i sprung her and that place was hell on earth (and the people were nice, doing all they could, swwwwwimming in abandoned and maltreated animas, llamas, pot bellied pigs you name it). sad sad sad. Kill shelter too. They'd had Molls for four months and she'd snapped at someone who came in the first couple of weeks. But they didn't put her down (in some cases its one month only) because she is a pure bred spaniel and she is to die for cute. Then I sprung her. Best thing I've ever done.

Edited to correct the all important spelling of 'snakeywakey' - never let me be accused of bad spelling :lol:

molls.jpg

IMG_5701-dog.jpg

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
AdiS - oh no, oh no. I am so very sorry.
My mother's burmese died when it got to 18. Vet came round to put it down when its kidneys really packed up. This was five years ago and my mother still hasn't got over it.when i told her I had got Molls, she seemed actually pissed off with me. Two years on, this Christmas, she told me the reason she wasn't actually rejoicing was because she didn't want me to go through the pretty inevitable heart ache.

interesting that you know someone really well and they can still think in ways that really surprise you. I couldn't work out at all why she had sounded so condemnatory. Turns out she was frightened I'd be hurt in the long run. Once a mum, always a mom huh?

African Grey anyone??

(oh and we, UK, don't say 'gotten'.... hmmm.... just in case.... :wink2: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results