shape
carat
color
clarity

are you gonna watch the you know what tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1350928515|3290294 said:
Dancing Fire|1350925651|3290272 said:
Mayk|1350902989|3290085 said:
I'm preparing myself for the "spin" on Lybia... the death of our ambassador, the very long delay in calling an act of terror "an act of terror" and more importantly the justification to have our people in Lybia with bismal protection. What justifies putting them in the line of fire and then not protecting them... I've heard it spun so many ways by the media I can't stand it.. bottom line.. it was an act of Terror on 9/11 (hello people they like to anniversary this date.. it was a big day for them to see the US lose so many lives) and they will continue to target this date for attacks.. along with other insignificant dates to kill Americans.. we are TARGETS...no matter what anyone would like to think and how the President (present or future) plans to protect us is of the utmost importance to me!
people like my daughters don't know what's going on in lybia,but they do know how much it cost to fill up their gas tank and how hard it is to find a job.

DF, why don't you just buy your girls electric cars??? :naughty:

In all seriousness, though, if you want to talk gas prices: THEY.WILL.NEVER.GET.BETTER. Oil reserves are in decline. Authorities estimate we hit peak oil production sometime between 2007 and 2010. Any new oil finds are not "easy" oil. It is oil that takes massively expensive equipment, dangerous drilling, ridiculously expensive refining...etc, etc, etc...to turn it into usable gasoline. And right now it TAKES a gallon of gasoline to MAKE a gallon of gasoline. At what point do we say enough is enough!!??? So, unless you want the government to subsidize either oil companies or gasoline itself (which, obviously, YOU wouldn't, right???) there's really never going to be relief. And it has NOTHING to do with who is or who is not President.

As far as finding a job goes, this country has encouraged high school graduates into 4-year degree programs for FAR too many years. College is not for everyone, and the job market can't handle the number of people who are now over-educated and over-qualified. But trades? They are HURTING for people. Plumbing. Electrical. Masonry. They ALL need people. Some of them desperately. Not that it helps your daughters, but again, this isn't something the President can take care of! Companies have learned how to operate in new ways with less staff than ever before. The stock market has rebounded. Corporations are turning out record profits in terms of percentage of our GDP. And yet: they're not hiring. No one, not even the President, can force companies to hire workers if they don't feel they need them. The only thing he can actually do is create more government jobs...and, again...YOU wouldn't want THAT, right???

I find it interesting the excuses now used for gas prices as opposed to 5 or 6 years ago when Bush was president. Back then we were told prices were high (albeit, about half of what they are now) because GWB was "greasing the palms of his oil cronies and sucking up to Saudi sheiks". NOW however, at nearly $4/gallon, it's due to speculation, oil reserves and a host of other reasons that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the president.

Agreed. The president can not force companies to hire but he CAN create an environment that promotes hiring (although Obama still continues to claim HE "creates jobs"). The oncoming fiscal cliff coupled with Obamacare tax penalties isn't exactly incentivizing employers. And let's not get into the Republican "stalemate" because as we all know, the president's own budget garnered a big "goose egg" in the Senate with a 99-0 vote. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the real job creators, does it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm preparing myself for the "spin" on Lybia... the death of our ambassador, the very long delay in calling an act of terror "an act of terror" and more importantly the justification to have our people in Lybia with bismal protection. What justifies putting them in the line of fire and then not protecting them... I've heard it spun so many ways by the media I can't stand it.. bottom line.. it was an act of Terror on 9/11 (hello people they like to anniversary this date.. it was a big day for them to see the US lose so many lives) and they will continue to target this date for attacks.. along with other insignificant dates to kill Americans.. we are TARGETS...no matter what anyone would like to think and how the President (present or future) plans to protect us is of the utmost importance to me!
people like my daughters don't know what's going on in lybia,but they do know how much it cost to fill up their gas tank and how hard it is to find a job.

In all seriousness, though, if you want to talk gas prices: THEY.WILL.NEVER.GET.BETTER. Oil reserves are in decline. Authorities estimate we hit peak oil production sometime between 2007 and 2010. Any new oil finds are not "easy" oil. It is oil that takes massively expensive equipment, dangerous drilling, ridiculously expensive refining...etc, etc, etc...to turn it into usable gasoline. And right now it TAKES a gallon of gasoline to MAKE a gallon of gasoline. At what point do we say enough is enough!!??? So, unless you want the government to subsidize either oil companies or gasoline itself (which, obviously, YOU wouldn't, right???) there's really never going to be relief. And it has NOTHING to do with who is or who is not President.

As far as finding a job goes, this country has encouraged high school graduates into 4-year degree programs for FAR too many years. College is not for everyone, and the job market can't handle the number of people who are now over-educated and over-qualified. But trades? They are HURTING for people. Plumbing. Electrical. Masonry. They ALL need people. Some of them desperately. Not that it helps your daughters, but again, this isn't something the President can take care of! Companies have learned how to operate in new ways with less staff than ever before. The stock market has rebounded. Corporations are turning out record profits in terms of percentage of our GDP. And yet: they're not hiring. No one, not even the President, can force companies to hire workers if they don't feel they need them. The only thing he can actually do is create more government jobs...and, again...YOU wouldn't want THAT, right???
this Admin sure didn't help by killing the Keystone pipe line deal. when we had a strong economy most jobs were created in the private sector not by our government.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1350929874|3290316 said:
FrekeChild|1350928753|3290299 said:
Can someone tell me what it is that Romney is going to do that is going to turn the economy around? Please? I would like to know. Seriously.
don't know what Romney will do about our economy but we all know what Obama has done the our economy in the past 4 yrs. there won't be a middle class after 4 more yrs of Obama policy .all the middle class will be on welfare with no jobs.

read my post below.

Wow.

Well, at least you admit it.

You don't know what Romney is going to do. But you are sure it will be better than Obama.

Based.
On.
What?

:confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1350929072|3290303 said:
Dancing Fire|1350928796|3290300 said:
i will watch the replay after the football game. lets not play the blame game .

here's what we are facing in front of us...

7.8% unemployment .
added $16 trillion of debt.
gas prices near all time high.
high food prices at the grocery store.
more americans on food stamps than ever.
all these young college grats with no jobs will not vote for Obama this time around,thus Obama can't win w/o their votes.

DF, addressing that bolded one...you do realize that 1) Americans pay a smaller percentage of their income for food than pretty much any other first world country (due to government subsidies on things like corn and beef)? and 2) we had a vast drought due to the affects of climate change that Romney and other conservatives continue to insist is not happening even though the consensus of the scientific community is that the Earth is getting warmer AND WE ARE CAUSING IT?!?
i love the word "subsidies" it makes people feel like it is free... :lol: the money has to come from somewhere,guess where?.. ;)) no sucha thing as free money ... ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1350943325|3290418 said:
Can someone tell me what it is that Romney is going to do that is going to turn the economy around? Please? I would like to know. Seriously.
don't know what Romney will do about our economy but we all know what Obama has done the our economy in the past 4 yrs. there won't be a middle class after 4 more yrs of Obama policy .all the middle class will be on welfare with no jobs.

read my post below.

Wow.

You don't know what Romney is going to do. But you are sure it will be better than Obama.

Based.
On.
What?

based on his economic record in the past 4 yrs.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1350944726|3290437 said:
Gypsy|1350943325|3290418 said:

read my post below.

Wow.

Based.
On.
What?

based on his economic record in the past 4 yrs.

No one could possibly do a worse job on the economy than Obama. No one. Especially the guy with the spectacular record of turn-around successes. As Bill Clinton said “There’s no question that in terms of getting up and going to the office and, you know, basically performing the essential functions of the office, a man who’s been governor and had a sterling business career crosses the qualification threshold.”

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Beebrisk. No one could have done a worse job?

Okay. That's just... so far removed from reality that I can tell continuing this conversation would be a complete and utter waste of my time.

I'll bow out now and enjoy the blue sky in my world.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1350942809|3290414 said:

this Admin sure didn't help by killing the Keystone pipe line deal. when we had a strong economy most jobs were created in the private sector not by our government.

Easy for YOU to say. That pipeline isn't supposed to sit directly over YOUR aquifer. It is mine.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1350946511|3290463 said:

Okay. That's just... so far removed from reality that I can tell continuing this conversation would be a complete and utter waste of my time.

yes,there is one other person,but Jimmy Carter will not be our next President... :devil:

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock

How about a response based on "fact" as opposed to just suggesting I'm out of touch with reality?

That's very bad debate form and probably why the sitting president is now running behind in a number of polls.

If we really were debating, I'd most certainly bring up O's record, starting with the following:

Debt
Deficit
Unemployment
Manufacturing
Loss of Credit Rating
Stimulus (Solyndra/A123 as examples)

None of this looks like blue skies to me...And it appears there are millions of others waking up to that realization on a daily basis. Most of them I'm sure don't feel like they'd be wasting their time discussing something so important to all of us.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
But Bee! I know you are doing better than you were 4yrs ago. Then you had a cute little starter diamond...and now you have a rock!

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1350947008|3290471 said:

yes,there is one other person,but Jimmy Carter will not be our next President... :devil:

Actually, DF, we had very high inflation in the Carter days but even then our credit rating remained intact. So, I'm thinking Obama wins the "worst" title! :bigsmile:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I haven't actually gotten an answer to this question, although two staunch conservatives have *answered*. Basically the idea that I'm getting is "No matter what he (Romney) does, it couldn't be worse than what Obama has done."

So, can I please get an actual answer from someone?

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
swimmer|1350947652|3290479 said:
But Bee! I know you are doing better than you were 4yrs ago. Then you had a cute little starter diamond...and now you have a rock!

Huh?
Not quite.
In fact, my FI works for a defense contractor. He and his colleagues fully expect to be out of jobs if within the next year or so if the incumbent wins. Their fears are based on fact, not emotion. If that's the case, I'll be living with my "cute little starter diamond" for a very very long time.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1350948000|3290483 said:
Ok, so I haven't actually gotten an answer to this question, although two staunch conservatives have *answered*. Basically the idea that I'm getting is "No matter what he (Romney) does, it couldn't be worse than what Obama has done."

I COULD Pelosi-ize this conversation and say "You have to elect him to find out what he's going to do", but I'll refrain.

If you go to his website (as unpalatable as that might be for some folks) you can read it yourself.

If only the very same question demanded answers 4 years ago, we'd be in much better shape right now.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Believe it or not Bee, I've been there before. There is the new addition of the 5 point plan since I was there last.

1. Energy independence
2. The skills to succeed
3. Trade that works for America
4. Cut the deficit
5. Champion small business

1. Seems pretty self explanatory, increase domestic energy resources, streamline permitting for exploration and development, eliminate regulations destroying the coal industry, approve Keystone XL pipeline

2. Give every family access to a great school and quality teachers, provide access to affordable and effective higher education options, focus job training programs on building valuable skills that alight with opportunities, attract and retain the best and brightest from around the world

3. Curtail unfair trade practices of countries like China, open new markets for American goods and services, build stronger economic ties in Latin America, create a Reagan Economic Zone to strengthen free enterprise around the world

4. Immediately reduce non security discretionary spending by 5%, cap federal spending below 20% of the economy, give states responsibility for programs that they can implement more effectively, consolidate agencies and align compensation of federal workers with their private-sector counterparts

5. Reduces taxes on job creation through individual and corporate tax reform, stop increases in regulation that are tangling job creators in red tape, protect workers and businesses from strong-arm labor union tactics, replace Obamacare with real health care reform that controls cost and improves care

http://www.mittromney.com/jobsplan

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Freke
your a die hard liberal,so give us 3 reasons why Obama deserves 4 more yrs? and please none of those blaming Bush stuff.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1350949473|3290499 said:

Freke
your a die hard liberal,so give us 3 reasons why Obama deserves 4 more yrs? and please none of those blaming Bush stuff.
1. Because my mother died from breast cancer, and everyone deserves to have access to cancer screenings. Romney has said he will do everything he can to defund Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood is something that I have utilized before, even as an insured individual. People need to have somewhere to go besides the emergency room and urgent care. Also, if Christian-related healthcare institutions are going to stop offering birth control options, people need elsewhere to find birth control options.

2. Obamacare. My husband has a heart condition. Insurance companies don't want to pay for his $150k open heart surgeries every 10-15 years. The pre-existing condition clause would prevent them from refusing him care. Not that he's ever been without insurance for more than 60 days, but whatever. I learned I was pregnant a year and a half ago, and I wasn't covered for any maternity/prenatal care because it's too expensive for insurance companies to have it covered by individual plans. I had to have a pregnancy test from Planned Parenthood so I could apply for pregnancy-only Medicaid so I could be denied coverage so that I could apply towards the New Mexico High Risk Insurance Pool - the only thing I could find that would cover me. Obamacare requires that all insurances cover maternity care. Obamacare requires that insurance cannot be more expensive for women than men.

3. I am a woman. I think that the Lilly Ledbetter Act is a good thing. I think that women need to make the same amount of money as men. I think it's BS that we still don't.

4. I believe in gay marriage. So does President Obama. Romney does not.

5. Osama Bin Laden.

6. Because Obama inherited a terrible economic situation. He wants to even out tax rates so that the richest of us pay more in taxes and reduce the tax rates for the middle class. He wants to bring back Clinton economic policies. And there is really only so much fixing of the economic situation someone can do in 4 years.

7. Because Obama re-gained the respect of foreign countries as Commander-In-Chief. W kind of ruined foreign relations for the USA over his 8 years. Sorry that goes against your rules, but it's there and it's real. W was a JOKE to the rest of the world. Obama is not.

Shall I go on?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's 4 from me:

I am far better off today than I was 4 years ago. Four years ago I was on the brink of losing my job and my and my husband's 401K plans were in free-fall. The stimulus act saved my job and kept the community I live in from collapsing. Our retirement savings are healthy again.

Obama has laid out his plan for revenue (income tax) in great detail and I like it. Romney/Ryan refuse to offer details. From what I can gather from vague outlines, I don't like it and don't believe it adds up mathematically.

The U.S. has finally addressed the need for healthcare. It's not a perfect plan and not the universal healthcare plan that I wanted to see, but it's a start. All the Republicans do is talk about reform but they are apparently incapable of effecting any change. Obamacare is basically Romneycare and yet the Republicans want to repeal it. I don't want it repealed, therefore I cannot even consider voting for Romney.

I want a president/political party in office that understands that reproductive health care is important to the economic health of this country. I don't want the clock turned back on things like abortion and birth control access.

I could go on ... but I'm going to watch the debate.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot a very important one:

8. I am far better off than I was 4 years ago. I have a college education (BA), my husband has a college education (PhD) and was recently hired as a professor for a state university system.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Frankly, I think they are all full of crap! As someone who is on full disabililty and relies on Social Security benefits to survive each month, nobody is convincing me that SS will be around until I die. They've raided SS so many times that it is near bankruptcy and who cares about the disabled people....those of us who are young....too young and sick to work?

I passed away in April, DIED from a severe sepsis infection and my lungs gave out, and the doctors put me on life support for 5 days and then I spent weeks in a rehab hospital trying to get strong enough to come home. Now, I owe THOUSANDS of dollars in medical bills and see no end in sight. I haven't seen ONE thing to help me in my situation!

My husband and I both have medical issues and we spend a fortune in medical bills and medicines every month.

NO, I am NOT better off than I was four years ago and doubt that I will be in the next four years, either...no matter who is in the White House!

Lori

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
As a side note....(since this is a jewelery forum, after all :naughty: ), I am admiring Obama's wedding ring. Yellow gold with a crossover design....I like it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hlmr|1350952640|3290543 said:
As a side note....(since this is a jewelery forum, after all :naughty: ), I am admiring Obama's wedding ring. Yellow gold with a crossover design....I like it.

LOL, you're funny! :lol:

Loriken, hugs. So sorry.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

:lol: I like it too! And is it just me, or is Obama sexier when he's a little mean? :naughty:

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
beebrisk|1350948093|3290486 said:

Huh?
Not quite.
In fact, my FI works for a defense contractor. He and his colleagues fully expect to be out of jobs if within the next year or so if the incumbent wins. Their fears are based on fact, not emotion. If that's the case, I'll be living with my "cute little starter diamond" for a very very long time.

Now I'm lost. You used to have your pic of an e-ring, I assumed it was yours, that was all basket and a small diamond. Now you have a rock as your pic and I'm assuming that it is your ring... I usually don't assume, so my apologies if you were "borrowing" or something.

Maybe your DH can retread his career in renewable resources? There will OBVIOUSLY still be a military when Obama is reelected, we are just going to cut down on our dependence on foreign oil and sending young people to die for it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1350961745|3290579 said:

:lol: I like it too! And is it just me, or is Obama sexier when he's a little mean? :naughty:

No. He looks constipated, and cranky because of it.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
swimmer|1350962397|3290585 said:
beebrisk|1350948093|3290486 said:

Huh?
Not quite.

Now I'm lost. You used to have your pic of an e-ring, I assumed it was yours, that was all basket and a small diamond. Now you have a rock as your pic and I'm assuming that it is your ring... I usually don't assume, so my apologies if you were "borrowing" or something.

Maybe your DH can retread his career in renewable resources? There will OBVIOUSLY still be a military when Obama is reelected, we are just going to cut down on our dependence on foreign oil and sending young people to die for it.

No borrowing. Same ring, different angle. Glad at least in one shot it looks like a "rock"! :cheeky:

I will say, your comment about it looking "all basket" is precisely why I want to have it reset. It's a .85 RB that would look larger on my small hand in a different setting.

Of course there will still be a military, albeit a gutted one. The very large project FI has worked on for the last several years is in serious jeopardy of being cut and "retreading" his career at this point in his life is probably not an option. So since this is a jewelry site after all, I'll just conclude by saying that another 4 years means a re-set is far more likely than an upgrade. :(sad

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great post, Freke.

Romney had a smarmy look on his face the whole night, practically. Bush had the same look. It bugs me.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
beebrisk|1350945255|3290444 said:
No one could possibly do a worse job on the economy than Obama. No one. Especially the guy with the spectacular record of turn-around successes. As Bill Clinton said “There’s no question that in terms of getting up and going to the office and, you know, basically performing the essential functions of the office, a man who’s been governor and had a sterling business career crosses the qualification threshold.”
It's harder for me to think of something more terrifying to me than a private equity guy leading the charge to turn around anything I am currently invested in. As someone who has worked in a bankruptcy court and in bankruptcy practice, it sends chills down my spine.

If only Warren Buffett had ever had the impulse to run.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
MissStepcut|1350992994|3290673 said:
beebrisk|1350945255|3290444 said:
It's harder for me to think of something more terrifying to me than a private equity guy leading the charge to turn around anything I am currently invested in. As someone who has worked in a bankruptcy court and in bankruptcy practice, it sends chills down my spine.

If only Warren Buffett had ever had the impulse to run.

I'll take a private equity guy over a community organizer leading the charge any day of the week.
The current administration has sent chills up my spine for four years now and there's nothing more terrifying to me than the prospect of another four. So, I guess we just differ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results