shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you going to try aimovig for migraine?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
today is gorgeous but the pressure is 30.4 and my head is exploding. I got a neurologist appt for August and I’m going to ask about it. Once a month injection but very pricey. Hope insurance covers it!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if your in a state that allows medical marijuana, or if you're willing to try it, but I used to get migraines 2-3 times a week.They weren't severe, and the worst part for me was the visual distortion, but of course there was a headache too. After I started vaporizing (I usually do about 4 times a week but it varies) I'm only having a migraine every 2-3 months or less. It's pretty amazing. Also, I have less anxiety overall.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
today is gorgeous but the pressure is 30.4 and my head is exploding. I got a neurologist appt for August and I’m going to ask about it. Once a month injection but very pricey. Hope insurance covers it!
Do you take Magnesium supplements? My Neurologist recommends 500mg. a day. Seems to help me get them less frequently and severely.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've known a few people who've reduced migraine frequency by monitoring and increasing their water intake.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

I have a Botox appointment with my neurologist this month and will be asking about it.

Reactions: DAF

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I take Duloxetine and Propanolol as my preventatives, Relpax 40 mg quartered as an abortive, and Imitrex injection when I wake up with vomiting from the nausea and pain and can't keep the oral meds down. I have done Botox, and it helped. I never thought that the muscles at the top of my shoulders and neck contributed to my migraines, but they were. My insurance suddenly instituted a huge out of pocket deductible for the medication, which I found out the day before my third set of injections about a year and a half ago. The effect of the botox lasted about nine months after the last injections, but then I began to notice that if I lay in bed once I wake up, I would get a migraine. Aimovig sounds very promising, but it is expensive. If my migraines change again, I may try it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am on day three of the pressure in my head being so great that I'm sure my eyeballs are going to pop right out any minute. Now THERE'S a visual for you! :eek-2:

Will be interested to hear what your neuro says, and here's to hoping for insurance coverage.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve just had a migraine yesterday. For me its always in connection with my period. I realized already, that it won’t help to take any pills, because I have too high blood pressure in the time of the migraine and pain medication won’t help. I just have to lay down, and wait, til my blood pressure normalizes. It’s horrible. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes a day.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my next neurologist appt tomorrow and we're about to move on to Botox shots. I just finished the three rounds of the different proven preventatives (anti-seizure, anti-depressant, anti-hypertensive.) and none of them worked so it's on to Botox. My neck and shoulders/back are chronically tight due to injuries and I have no doubt it contributes. I started getting migraines in my early 30's and they've grown from every month or so to almost every day. Excedrine Migraine works, but all that aspirin is bad for my stomach so I'm looking for something different.

If Botox doesn't work I'll try the Aimovig. Life without daily pain would be glorious.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t get into the neurologist till September but I’m going to go. The last two times I got quadruple vision and went to ER thinking I was having a stroke. Magnesium didn’t help, I’m not supposed to do maltex more than 4x mo. Sometimes fiorcet with codiene helps. I had Botox in my forehead after a large (12x12mm) skin cancer surgery to keep the incision from drooping and my eyes swelled for months. I feel you ILikeShiney, will be interested what your neuro says.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just had a migraine yesterday. For me its always in connection with my period. I realized already, that it won’t help to take any pills, because I have too high blood pressure in the time of the migraine and pain medication won’t help. I just have to lay down, and wait, til my blood pressure normalizes. It’s horrible. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes a day.

Magnesium. There is apparently a correlation between certain hormonal changes during the course of a month and a magnesium drop. I've been taking it three times a day for a couple of years now and it's made a WORLD of difference. I've gone from a migraine a month (at least) to a couple a year, and the severity of those is way down.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps dee jay, did you see my question on RSVP?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps dee jay, did you see my question on RSVP?

Yes! And absolutely -- the more the merrier! Sorry if you didn't see my response, I replied in evite, but I'm not sure how that really works so maybe it didn't pop up for you. About to get out the 20' tall inflatable snowman and figure out how to best anchor him in the parking lot. I'm sure my neighbors will be like, WTF is she doing NOW?!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the other one , is it bring a dish to pass? And I got my Hawaiian shirt!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the other one , is it bring a dish to pass? And I got my Hawaiian shirt!

Oh! I DIDN'T see that one! No, no need to bring anything. I'll have enough food for an army! Thank you though, I appreciate you asking!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
❤️

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know it’s interesting timing that you started this post yesterday @AprilBaby because apparently I jinxed myself by reading it as I ended up with a migraine yesterday afternoon and I’ve been migraine free for 4 1/2 months! I too live in the Chicagoland area far N.W. outland :lol:, but come on! What are the odds?!! Sucks! :(sad

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weirdly, I had a migraine yesterday, too.
But I woke up at 6am with it. It was a bad one, one dose of the Sumatriptan just too the edge off, a second brought it down from a 8 or 9/10 to a 3 or so, and I still had the hangover effect until about 1pm today. I have no idea what triggered this one. No red wine (a definite trigger, so I just don't drink it anymore) and I just found out that I am post menopausal (according to blood tests) so it's not hormonal. I was REALLY hoping they would disappear with menopause, as one doctor suggested they might. I think it's time I find a neurologist, and not just depend on my GP.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine have (knock on wood?) disappeared post menopause. I was just thinking about it the other day. I'm so glad. My eldest daughter had them too and tried every medication there was, and ended up at the hospital several times for shots. But she also stopped having them. I hope this new medication can help people still having migraines. They are such an awful thing to experience.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m way past menopause and I still get them unfortunately. I started getting them at 14. I’ve never been able to puzzle out my triggers, even with keeping a journal. My mom had them too but her’s subsided after menopause. Good luck fellow suffers, I hope you will all find relief.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way past menopause, had them since about 35. I read they are supposed to calm down after 60. Def red wine and pressure changes trigger mine. 30.4 was high for Chicago. It usually runs about 29.9. Bonfire, how far SW? I’m Naperville.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 60 mile NW of Chicago... McHenry Co. :wavey:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Magnesium. There is apparently a correlation between certain hormonal changes during the course of a month and a magnesium drop. I've been taking it three times a day for a couple of years now and it's made a WORLD of difference. I've gone from a migraine a month (at least) to a couple a year, and the severity of those is way down.

Mi going to try it, thank you for the advice.

Regarding the post of the other ladies: I have it since I was 11, it begun with my period. No one has them from my parents, I think my grandma on my fathers site had it, but can’t clearly remember. I really hope, they go away after menopause, but I’m only at the end of my thirties, so I still have a few years to suffer.

I really hope and pray, that my daughter doesn’t going to have it!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went into "menopause" at 28, and I've had these things since. That was a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG Time ago! I don't have as many as some of you guys but they are on the rise, and the severity is just nuts. Botox...needles...thats a negative. I barely handle blood draws...lol

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 60 mile NW of Chicago... McHenry Co. :wavey:

Bonfire, I didn't realize that's where you are! I'm dating a guy that lives in Belvidere. I should drive a little east some day and we can get together!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mi going to try it, thank you for the advice.

Regarding the post of the other ladies: I have it since I was 11, it begun with my period. No one has them from my parents, I think my grandma on my fathers site had it, but can’t clearly remember. I really hope, they go away after menopause, but I’m only at the end of my thirties, so I still have a few years to suffer.

I really hope and pray, that my daughter doesn’t going to have it!!

You have to take it for a while before it stabilizes in your system. A few months, I think. But SO worth it once it kicks in. Really hope it works for you!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update from my neuro appt today:

We’re moving on to Botox. Paperwork is being submitted to the insurance and I’m told it takes 4-6 weeks for a response. Shots would be around the circumference of the head as well as neck and shoulders. I’m praying for approval, and that it works!

We’re also going to do some blood work due to another med I have to take for an injury. It has a high risk of liver damage so we’re doing an organ function panel and I also requested a Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium check too; low vitamin d and magnesium can lead to headaches (as we’ve discussed) so it will be interesting to see where my blood work falls.

I asked about Aimovig. He said he has 3-4 patients on it currently, and only uses it for worst case scenarios. He also said, on the whole, their neuro practice has only seen about a 50% success rate. Obviously that was disappointing to hear... I was hoping it might be close to a guaranteed fix :(2

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny I'm sorry to hear this about the Aimovig. Disappointing.
I hope the Botox is approved and works wonders for you. Why in the world insurance approval would take up to 6 weeks? I'm not expecting you to know the answer, but wow, that's ridiculous. You are in pain.
Fingers crossed on the results of the bloodwork. I realized last night that I had not been taking my regular supplements last week. That includes magnesium. You know I filled my pill box back up and made sure the magnesium was in it. I have to wonder if that contributed to Saturday's migraine.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny I'm sorry to hear this about the Aimovig. Disappointing.
I hope the Botox is approved and works wonders for you. Why in the world insurance approval would take up to 6 weeks? I'm not expecting you to know the answer, but wow, that's ridiculous. You are in pain.
Fingers crossed on the results of the bloodwork. I realized last night that I had not been taking my regular supplements last week. That includes magnesium. You know I filled my pill box back up and made sure the magnesium was in it. I have to wonder if that contributed to Saturday's migraine.
Thanks KaeKae. It does stink, especially since the doctor thought I might be able to get my shots as early as next week (so I got excited about not being in pain soon!). It’ll take that long because my file has to go through a review process to make sure I’ve tried other approved protocols first since Botox is so expensive. I get it, but the thought of another 6 weeks of migraines almost put me in tears.

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
My daughters and myself suffer from migraines and we've had Botox injections. The girls were getting the injections every 90 days for about a year and a half with very good results. Then they They stopped working. They then started getting Myobloc injections. From what I understand, the Botox comes in three different levels. Botox, Myobloc and something else that I can't remember now what it is. The girls have been having the Myobloc injections for several years now and the injections are helping them quite a bit. It starts to wear off after about 10 weeks.

I too tried the Botox but I didn't get the relief for too long and then switched to the Myobloc. That has been helping me with the migraines.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results