shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you a

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Darn it: Subject line got eaten!

Should read: Are you a "same side sitter"?

When we go out to eat, DH and I very typically sit on the same side of the booth or table. We always have. It's easier to talk and for him to try and steal the food off my plate. I was eating out with a co-worker this week- the restaurant had curved booths and I mentioned how much I like those. She said she hated them because it forces you to be a "same side sitter" and she hates that. She makes fun of people that do it. She's been jokingly referring to me as the "same side sitter" all week.

I had never even given this any thought whatsoever. Not once.

So what about you? Are you a "same side sitter"? Why or why not?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Unlesss SO and I are at a sports bar, we generally sit across from each other. There is a restaurant we both like with curved booths like that and I enjoy eating next to him there. Otherwise, it''s pretty rare that we aren''t facing each other. Easier to gaze into each other''s eyes I suppose....
41.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I never really thought about it but we definitely sit opposite from each other. I don''t know if I would be as comfortable sitting right next to DH because I would constantly have to keep looking over to the side instead of up. I''m not used to that.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, we are across sitters. I love to look at him, but I also like sitting slightly to the side like a 3 chaired table as well.

E B

Ideal_Rock
If the booth is long enough, we sit on the same side. But if it's a short booth/chair on the opposite side situation, I always steal the booth side.
12.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Sadly - I'm not joking about this - depends on how cold the restaurant is. DH and I will same-side sit, but usually I only suggest it if I'm freezing. Actually, I guess we do mix it up more than that... Sometimes we'll same-side sit when we're being more quiet, too. Across is when we really want to talk, but if all we really want to do is eat and unwind while feeling close to the other, same-side sitting is a little more functional.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
We do both same side sitting and across from each other... usually across because DH has the Evil Shakey Leg. Evil Shakey Leg bounces the table and is much worse when sitting next to. One can pin the leg down briefly, but when it is no longer imprisoned it starts going again. Every now and again I forget that''s why I don''t usually sit next to him, and then I spend the whole meal trying to pin his darn knee down.

His stepbrother grew into his own Evil Shakey Leg at about age 15. Now, when everyone is at one table on Xmas or whatever, the frigging table has one end that vibrates because of the two of them bouncing their legs up and down in concert. Very irritating!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. I guess I have evil shakey leg syndrome too. I know I do! My teachers would always ask why my desk was shaking, and I was always Huh??? We cannot control it!
41.gif

We are across table sitters. Easier for me to read lips if the ambient noise is too loud.
2.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
No. That feels weird to me... We sit across from each other.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We used to when we were first dating, when we were sort of nervous staring across at each other. Being side by side felt less confrontational I think. I hadn''t thought about that in YEARS! I used to be very conscious of it though, and specifically ask him to sit next to me
1.gif

Now we still do occasionally, but I think we more often sit across from one another.

Interesting!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 7:17:34 PM
Author: Elmorton
Across is when we really want to talk, but if all we really want to do is eat and unwind while feeling close to the other, same-side sitting is a little more functional.
That makes total sense!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Definitely interesting!

We sit across from each other. Same side sitting seems weird to me. I think my DH has tried to do same side a few times and I'm not into it heh.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
So funny! We always sit on the same side. We started doing it because we''re both left-handed and thought it was cute that we could still sit next to each other in close proximity without bumping elbows when we ate. Now we do it because we like sitting close, and it allows us to have the same vantage point for looking around. We''re always people watching and it helps to be able to see the same people and not be awkwardly craning our necks.
12.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We do a little of both, but I''d say we sit across more often. If it''s hard to hear, or the table''s too big, or we feel like "canoodling" (love that word), we sit on the same side.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We sit across from one another in booths, but we prefer tables so then we sit perpendicular to one another. It wouldn''t cross my mind to sit beside him in a booth.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Nope, we always sit across from each other. My DH has a bad back and neck, and its much easier on him to have a conversation that way.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
across. definitely across. always have been. [if it's just the two of us]

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Across. I like to be able to see him when I talk to him instead of turning my head.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Same side if we''re feeling extra cozy but otherwise opposite sides. We like to look into each others'' eyes. But if the table is really long and we feel far apart from each other, we''ll go same side.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
We do both. We do whichever we feel like in the moment =)

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Never on the same side. We always think people who do this are very strange. However, now I can see why some people do it. I still think it is odd though. I like to look someone in the eyes when I speak to them. There is one restaurant we go to that you have to sit side by side and I find it very difficult to have a conversation that way.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
No in restaurants, we always sit opposite each other. In pubs we''ll usually sit beside each other though.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...
Sometimes. My hubby always asks if it is alright..."Is this seat taken?" but I would say it depends on the way the tables are setup and how much arm room Ive got. If it is one of those super tiny tables- we sit across... though I like it when we sit next to each other. At some tables, we''ll ride the corner. I just like it better.
It also depends on how big of a purse I am carrying... sometimes those puppies need their own seat!
28.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 8:20:01 AM
Author: tlh
Hmmm...

Sometimes. My hubby always asks if it is alright...''Is this seat taken?''

How cute!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Across normally.

FFI hates his back to people and so he likes to watch everyone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
always across from each other cuz i want to see her beautiful smile.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Across for us. But then I usually have to leave to go to the bathroom or something once or twice, and then he''d have to get out...so I would end up sitting on the edge. BF is a lefty and I''m a righty, so that either shoves our elbows together or forces his to hit the wall.

I have to admit though, it does look a little more romantic when people sit next to each other...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, when we ask for a table for two we usually are seated at a table that has two seats. I don''t like sitting on the same side because you can''t look at the person when you talk to them but sometimes sitting across is too far away. I like the square tables with the chairs at a right angle best.

I''ve over thought this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results