• 3. I'm below average when it comes to being sensitive

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 4. I am not at all sensitive

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sensitive. I don't think I am too sensitive but I am sensitive and in tune with others feelings and also I am intuitive. So I usually get how someone is feeling even before they know it sometimes.

Here's a quick quiz if you're interested.
http://hsperson.com/test/highly-sensitive-test/

Sometimes it is a drawback and unpleasant and I wish I could be less sensitive. Being sensitive means I reflect a lot on things and worry about many issues and am emotionally reactive. I cannot tolerate violence even in movies or tv let alone real life. It makes me physically ill. I cry easily but I also recover quickly and this is who I am and I cannot change that very much. The good is that I am empathetic and perceptive and I am a supportive friend who is there for you no matter what. So I accept being sensitive and do the best I can with it.

I am wondering where PSers fall on the sensitive scale. My feeling is we have many sensitive individuals here who are highly attuned to their environment.

http://calvinandhobbes-daily.tumblr.com/post/19577066756/ch-baby-raccoon-storyline

calvinandhobbesonlife.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am but don't tell anyone.
I convince myself I'm not.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I am and have known this for some time. I got 19 on that quiz (it said 14 or more was yes). It doesn't mean I'm sensitive in that my feelings are hurt easily or anything like that, just VERY sensitive to sounds, other people's emotions, etc.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I tend to get my feelings hurt easily, and little things bother me for a long time.

I have been known to lose sleep over my hurt feelings, when the other person has long since
dismissed our conversation.
I have to talk myself out of feeling hurt in certain situations, like telling myself that I cannot control what others think of me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm below average.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to think I range from not sensitive to average but I know I am between average to very sensitive. I sure try not to be sensitive but I don't always succeed.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Off the charts sensitive.

Read the book and it explained a lot. Like why I don't sleep so well and have a hard time at work.

I married a HSP (highly sensitive person) and gave birth to 2.

It ain't easy, especially when combined with anxiety. Sigh...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1458501352|4008438 said:
I'm below average.

... at least your diamond rocks. :sun:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:angryfire: I'M NOT A SENSISTIVE PERSON! :angryfire:
:angryfire: HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A SENSITIVE PERSON!
:angryfire:

:lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I took that quiz several months ago after reading a similar thread on another website. I've known since early childhood that I was sensitive, though. I can remember in 6th grade having an issue with some classmates, and my dad telling me I needed to "toughen up." It's an innate part of one's personality, not something one can just change, as I see it. One of the things I am most sensitive to is music. A strong performance can move me to tears and if it's a live performance forget it. I am weeping away, feeling like the music is inside my heart. It's weird.

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Not really, maybe when I was younger, but I have been toughened up IRL and because of where I have lived over the years (born and raised in SF Bay Area, then LA, NYC, and Philly...). I got tough, and stopped letting people's comments bother me, if they don't agree, they don't agree, if they say something hurtful, I usually brush it off. That being said, if someone I know personally, and is family/close friend says something, then I tend to internalize that...but in my daily interactions, no.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, so much so, sounds, smells, other people etc some days really bug me, other days I deal with it. I also seem to sense at a high level what other people feel and sometimes think and have that with animals as well. I've always been liked a Pied Piper of animals and small children, all the hurt, lonely, lost animals and kiddos seem to gravitate towards me....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1458506037|4008492 said:
Off the charts sensitive.

Read the book and it explained a lot. Like why I don't sleep so well and have a hard time at work.

I married a HSP (highly sensitive person) and gave birth to 2.

It ain't easy, especially when combined with anxiety. Sigh...

I feel you Begonia. HSP and anxious (I wonder if those go hand in hand) and while my dh is not an anxious person he is an HSP. We are very similar that way. Except my dh and I have 4 HSP and very anxious kitties but that might be the only difference LOL. (((Hugs))).

Monnie, same here re music for me and my dh. We can cry when listening to certain pieces no problem whatsoever. The tears just start flowing. Music really moves us both and stays with us.

Marcy, I love your sensitive side. (((Hugs))).

Stracci, I suspected many PSers were similar this way. You are in good company. At least I hope you think so. :halo:

Sonnyjane, yes ditto. Though I might get my feelings hurt it takes more than just a little thing to hurt them. But being sensitive to my surroundings and others feelings, emotions etc. super high.

Dancing Fire, hmm not too surprised but at least as Kenny wrote your diamond is above average even if your sensitivity is not. 8)

MrsWhitney/Dani, thanks for sharing. Sending more well wishes your way!

arkieb, me too! All of that. So interesting how many PSers share this in common.

Kenny, I love your response and hope you don't mind if I give you a virtual hug or two. (((Hugs))).
kenny said:
I am but don't tell anyone.
I convince myself I'm not.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am. Annoyingly so. At work I'm pretty good with dealing. I have my own office so I can close the door when things get a bit much. But at home, or when I don't have my 'work persona' on, it's bad. I really dislike it. Hs family are naturally loud - they can be standing 5' apart and talking but it sounds like they are yelling. It stresses me out. Radio/tv ads can leave me crying in seconds. I think being an introvert combined with being sensitive makes me a hermit sometimes.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I scored as very sensitive, but I already knew that about myself. :lol: I have really been frustrated with myself for being so sensitive at times. :wall: I have gotten much better about it, but it is something that I'd like to continue to work on. I've also noticed that I can be extremely sensitive if I haven't gotten enough "quiet" time. :doh:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1458627853|4009229 said:
I scored as very sensitive, but I already knew that about myself. :lol: I have really been frustrated with myself for being so sensitive at times. :wall: I have gotten much better about it, but it is something that I'd like to continue to work on. I've also noticed that I can be extremely sensitive if I haven't gotten enough "quiet" time. :doh:

I used to think my HSP was something that needed changing. Instead of fighting against this inherent part of my personality, though, I have worked on embracing it instead and finding ways to make it work for me. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1458585759|4009011 said:
I am. Annoyingly so. At work I'm pretty good with dealing. I have my own office so I can close the door when things get a bit much. But at home, or when I don't have my 'work persona' on, it's bad. I really dislike it. Hs family are naturally loud - they can be standing 5' apart and talking but it sounds like they are yelling. It stresses me out. Radio/tv ads can leave me crying in seconds. I think being an introvert combined with being sensitive makes me a hermit sometimes.

Telephone, yes same here. And I can easily see myself becoming a hermit for these very reasons. These days there are lots of comforts at home that could make it possible including the all important internet. One never needs to leave their home again. In a way I have already become that much more of a homebody over the last 5 years. I never go out to the movies anymore as I much prefer watching Netflizx or Cable movies in the comfort of my own home. No loud noisy crowds, dirty sticky floors or rude people around checking their phones during the movies and otherwise being distracting. Yeah no thanks.

Rockinruby, I agree...quiet time is critical for rejuvenating and recharging so make sure you and your new puppy get plenty of that together. Ooh if I had a new puppy I would never need the company of pesky human beings again. Except for a few that is. Enjoy your sweet Poppy!!!! :love:

Monnie, me too. HSP is a permanent part of who we are and we make it work.

calvinandhobbesonhatingeveryone.jpg

calvinandhobbesonlifeandcuddlyanimals.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought of myself as sensitive for a few reasons - my feelings are not easily hurt, i don't take things personally and i generally don't care what people think of me. But, I am easily annoyed :rolleyes: and can get overstimulated and I do not like crowds. So, while I didn't rate highly sensitive on this quiz, I think I answered yes to 12 of the questions. This was interesting - I guess I AM sensitive - just not what I thought of as sensitive.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its the bane of my existence.

I know *why* I'm sensitive, raised by two crazies who expected their every wish and whim to be magically detected and responded to by me starting from the day I hit the planet.

Its made me very successful in some portions of my life and created to a lot of suffering in other areas. The trick now that I'm aware of this is managing it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That test was illuminating. I didn't think I was highly sensitive. I must shield myself from that thought, lol. So yes, highly sensitive. I crave silence and peace at all times. I like to have many options, and actually find it easy to say no to things that would bother me in any way. I'm empathetic towards others and worry a lot about other people.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the topic. I can be very sensitive when discussing certain things. and then there are things where I'm not sensitive at all. Maybe that makes me about average.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY! But the good news is, I think I experience life with a heightened sense of compassion and empathy.
And bless my sweet DH for putting up with me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results