carat
color
clarity

Are you a real person??

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This freaked me out today.
The phone rings, and a guy asks to speak to David.
"That's me", I answer.
"I'm calling from Google maps to find out your hours on Christmas day."
So I ask the guy "where are you calling from?" ...I wanted to know which google office he was in.
"I'm calling from Google maps"
" Is this a person, or a computer" I ask- and honestly, I could not tell which it was.
"I don't understand your question" answered what I now understand, was the computer.
We're so screwed here......I mean you can't even tell if it's a human or a robot on the phone......

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the future!! :shock:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
They talk about this at my job but with chat functions. Their goal is replace workers with AI that can mimic human conversation so well that you can’t tell the difference. I think it’s something they’re already doing. Phone is def different but I know it’s something they’re working on making 100% before rolling out. It’s the future!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I feel so old....but I prefer the past......in this regard, anyway.
If I had just answered the question, I would never have known it was not a human.
The comforting part is that by asking a few questions, I was able to figure it out.....

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you confident it was even google? I feel like there are a lot of spam callers who use that as an opener. So it could have been a real person, but not a real google person?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do believe it was Google- this wasn't the first time I've gotten the call- they called the week before Thanksgiving asking the same thing- holiday hours.
That call, I just answered normally and didn't really think twice.

I know that when I use Google maps, the hours of a business are a huge bonus......which would make sense as to why they are doing it.
Of course, they're only making a couple billion a year- so sparing the funds it would take to have actual humans do this would put them on welfare......( sarcasm icon)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think I would answer that question - human or computer - without verifying somehow the caller was in fact who they stated. They could be trying to case your business for break-in; and while I understand you have some ‘protection’ in that regard given your location, still ... :snooty:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awww- that's so nice of you to look out for us MOT!!
There's different concerns as a business.
If someone asked what time I'm getting home or what time I intend to leave, I'd be super suspicious....
But for a business- dispensing opening and closing times is crucial.

Thankfully, we're in a super secure building.

But in general- probably 60% of the times the phone rings, it's a junko call. I have decided that immediate hang up, and not getting angry that this is our current reality work best- but again, this is a business. Different considerations than personal life.

Actually- many people I know no longer keep a "home phone" for these reasons

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Majority of chat functions on websites are already AI. All those windows that pop-up with "ask us a question" be it a bank, a store or Verizon are AI. If it can't figure out what you want, a real person gets connected.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:@Rockdiamond I get what you’re saying, and thought about that - that it’s normal for businesses to get those types of inquiries ... but I don’t know of any jewelry business with a retail presence that is open on Christmas Day ... not down here in my neck of the woods anyway, which is why I would find it odd; but maybe that’s common up your way. :confused:

If you operated a restaurant, that would make sense as more restaurants seem to stay open on major holidays. But I acknowledge that I’m probably more skeptical of these things than most people, so just pat me on the head and send me on my way. LOL

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Majority of chat functions on websites are already AI. All those windows that pop-up with "ask us a question" be it a bank, a store or Verizon are AI. If it can't figure out what you want, a real person gets connected.

How about when you get the >
Hi thanks for calling ( xxxoocompany) we recognize your phone number. Please enter your zip code to continue.
Ok
Press 1 for your balance
Press 2 for mailing address
Press 3 if you are wearing yellow underpants
press 6700000 if you're mad!!!
Do you find yourself repeating -
HELP HELP _OPERATOR OPERATOR
on a regular basis??
Mot- good point- there should be a difference between a restaurant and a jewelry store- or other retail establishments.
I'm one of those who loved the days when stores actually closed on holidays....

Apparently the robot that called me didn't feel the same way.....

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So much ‘ditto’ :clap::clap: I always hate seeing folks who - due to their jobs - are not with their family/friends on major holidays. Granted, some folks may not celebrate, but I also miss the ‘good ole days’ in that regard.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what on earth is there left for people to do for work if a computer is even a tele marketer?
sad
sad
sad

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They talk about this at my job but with chat functions. Their goal is replace workers with AI that can mimic human conversation so well that you can’t tell the difference. I think it’s something they’re already doing. Phone is def different but I know it’s something they’re working on making 100% before rolling out. It’s the future!

I think most chats are done by robots. I suspect that my payroll company is mostly computers and outsourcing now (and I am looking to switch).

How can we humans fight back? How can we check who is who, so to say?

I think computers suck at using profanities.

(Here English speakers are at a disadvantage, as your list of profanities is surprisingly short (remembering George Carlin)).

But since we humans can adjust our language and bend it, I am already coining phrases to treat the robots to.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Creepy and disgusting, scary too.
Maybe I’m really getting old too, may not be very progressive then.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about when you get the >
Hi thanks for calling ( xxxoocompany) we recognize your phone number. Please enter your zip code to continue.
Ok
Press 1 for your balance
Press 2 for mailing address
Press 3 if you are wearing yellow underpants
press 6700000 if you're mad!!!
Do you find yourself repeating -
HELP HELP _OPERATOR OPERATOR
on a regular basis??
Mot- good point- there should be a difference between a restaurant and a jewelry store- or other retail establishments.

Apparently the robot that called me didn't feel the same way.....

customer-service-cartoon.gif

Of course there is always the upside...
calvinandhobbesandmachines.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
robot test: Say:
The cat fished at the bank.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
At least it failed the Turing test and was found out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results