shape
carat
color
clarity

Are white SS or golden SS more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...assuming they''re practically the same, ie. same size, have similar lustre etc..but the white SS are white with a very very slight silver overtone (I hope I''m describing them correctly here) and the golden SS are a very deep golden colour?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:14:32 AM
Author:Phoenix
...assuming they're practically the same, ie. same size, have similar lustre etc..but the white SS are white with a very very slight silver overtone (I hope I'm describing them correctly here) and the golden SS are a very deep golden colour?

I don't know but I would guess the golden depending on how deep the gold is. I was just looking the other day and noticed the Golden with a particular vendor were more expensive so it would be interesting to find out the answer...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve actually found that it depends on the vendor...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Skippy and Makingthegrade.

I saw on PP that they describe white SS pearls as "the most" exclusive/ rare (forget their exact wordings) whereas the golden ones are "amongst the most" exclusive/ rare. So, I guess that would mean, at least according to PP, that white SS should be more expensive.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In R.Wise''s book, he talks a little about about how pearl pricing is influenced by local demand. So it might be that white is more expensive if you''re buying from US-based vendors since white is more "sympatico" with Caucasian skin tones, and are more highly regarded/sought after, which would naturally up the price. I think I remember when I was in Beijing, that the golden ones were actually somewhat pricier, it might have been because white pearls are so common there since it''s the number one producer of freshwater pearls.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 11:19:09 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
In R.Wise's book, he talks a little about about how pearl pricing is influenced by local demand. So it might be that white is more expensive if you're buying from US-based vendors since white is more 'sympatico' with Caucasian skin tones, and are more highly regarded/sought after, which would naturally up the price. I think I remember when I was in Beijing, that the golden ones were actually somewhat pricier, it might have been because white pearls are so common there since it's the number one producer of freshwater pearls.
But these are SS? I'm not sure I follow you.

Would you mind elaborating? Thanks.

Anyway, that's interesting, what you said about golden pearls being more expensive in BJ. I'm going to be relocating to Shanghai in a few short days and these golden pearls are in a shop in Singapore. They're actually a little cheaper than my white SS. The white SS cost me the equivalent of USD2k and they're 12-13mm, whereas the golden ones cost approx USD1.8k and are 13-14mm. I'm wondering if I should get those golden ones now?! Hmmm....decision....decision....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just meant that in Beijing, you see A LOT of white pearls, granted they are freshwater and not South Sea, but I think the golden ones might have been pricier at that market just because they would stand out much more from the flood of white freshwaters that were being sold so cheaply. So it made the golden color more noticeable I guess.

That was just my experience at the few jewelery shops in Beijing, can''t really extrapolate it to other places. I hope you enjoy Shanghai, I was born there! Great city (and some great shopping).

Personally, I think I''d like the golden ones more because I find white pearls a little too traditional for my tastes :) But it''s all a matter of what you like. While I was in Beijing, I saw a gorgeous golden south sea pearl pendant, it was around 13mm perhaps, and had a row of very small melee sized diamonds inlaid down the middle of the pearl. It was so nicely done and so pretty, I kind of want to go back and buy it, lol.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think that generally white SS are more expensive, but Skippy is right, if the golden SS have a really beautiful deep golden color, then they might be more expensive than the white SS.

solina

Rough_Rock
it depend on where they came form.
most golden south sea pearls are come from philippines, the price are much lower than white south sea pearls.
if golden south sea pearls come from Australia, the price is as same as white south sea peals.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, for kindly responding.

Here's a pic of the pearls taken from a cell phone. The two pearls at the front are those I'm considering purchasing to make into a pair of dangle jackets and the other one is a ring (which is a bit blurrry, but the setting is quite pretty). The colour in the pic is a bit deeper than IRL but fairly close (well, IRL, the colour is a tiny bit lighter but still very golden - like a very very deep buttery colour).

So do ya'all think?

golden pearls.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results