shape
carat
color
clarity

Are (WF) uncertified stones OK?

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at purchasing some diamond earrings soon, most likely studs. I don't necessarily care about certification for earrings as long as they perform well. Ready-set-to go earrings at WF are all ideal cut based on their in-house graduate gemologist. Is this close enough to the same rating from a GIA or AGS certified stone? Not being able to upgrade in the future if I went with a pre-fab set is not the biggest issue.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think they would be fine, however recently someone was able to find certified studs through WF, BGD, and/or JA for cheaper than the site's uncerted preset studs. So do your research to see if it is really saving you anything. I think it's certainly worth the same price to get certed stones so then YOU know what you are getting and can be sure of it.

r123

Rough_Rock
I second that.. shop around.. I recently ordered 1.46 CTW GIA certified studs from ID Jewellery and they seem to have the best pricing amongst all pricescope vendors - WF, BGD, JA. Give all the vendors a call and see what they can do for you. Matching the studs online is a pain and I quickly gave up and relied on the vendors to recommend me a best matched pair from their inventory.

There was an uncert pair of studs (0.8 J SI1, 0.8 J SI2) from one of the vendors which was priced higher than the (0.73 J SI1, 0.73 J SI1)studs that I bougth.

So I got the same color, slightly lower weight, better clarity, certified for a much lower price..

so shop around before you make a decision

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NoobiNeed!

For me, the size is what determines whether or not I go certed
I have a pair of 0.33 ctw ready-set-to-go princess cut earrings. They're nice! For that size, it probably wouldn't be cost efficient for the vendor to get 0.165 ct diamond certed.

From ID jewelry, I got a pair of uncerted 0.87 ctw - i got these appraised and I did very well!

However, when I was searching for a pair of 1.0 ctw rounds through BGD, i went certed. At that size, I wanted diamonds that were certified (in that case, by AGS), and the draw of being able to upgrade the diamonds (since they were BGD signature) also added to the appeal.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, in a word.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you request photos of the stones they propose and go from there?

I personally would likely just trust that the stones would be of high quality, but that's because I'm comfortable with the vendor and the return policy. YOUR comfort with the vendor is the most important thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results