shape
carat
color
clarity

Are we getting a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jenga019

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I just went shopping last night at Robbins in DE.

We found the Scott Kay platinum setting that I love for $1560.

Then we looked at diamonds, here is what we found:

.62, E, SI1, Ideal cut (can''t remember the exact dimensions, AGS certified)=$3000

.74, J(doesn''t look like it has any color though), VS2, it''s not ideal, can''t remember the dimensions (GIA certified)=$2900

When comparing the two I loved the .62 better because it sparkled more. Will I notice the difference in size? Are the prices right? If not, what can I say to maybe get her to go down in price? Will a .62 look small in this setting that I picked?

MY FAVORITE.jpg

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
You will be bombed by opinions on the diamond on this site so I will focus on the setting, although I will start by saying the diamond can be bought much cheaper and a .75 will look better in that setting than a 2/3.
I like Scott Kay and respect what he has done in the industry. One of my employees was a pave setter for him for 5 years. I just don't see the need to pay "designer price" for a setting that is available in thousands of stores for less money. This design is made by manufactures and local jewelers very easily. I am not a fan of copying someone's original designs as we are also award winning desingers, but the reality is that once a design is published, it gets copied. Taccori, Jeff Cooper, Scott Kay, Cartier, etc, can be found all over China with varying qualities of copies, but some are just as nice. The similar look to that ring or made by private jewelers would be somewhere from $900 to $1200, unless jewelers are too greedy.
Scott Kay has chosen to sell his designs to private jewelers and many of them sell Scott's designs for a lot of money. I would suggest putting some of the setting money into the center stone to get the biggest and best stone.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I love the setting. Nice choice~!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results