shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these Tiffany hallmarks authentic ?

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All. So I searched the boards prior to posting but I am still undecided if these are real or not. The eBay seller has zero feedback so that's concerning as well. No paperwork or box or pouch comes with the ring.
Thoughts anyone ?

_4650.jpeg

_4651.jpeg

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in no way an expert, but I believe that this is a fake. The letters seem to be sloppy (unevenly spaced apart and not in a straight line horizontally). Also, the "o" is lowercase, whereas on the piece that I have everything is in caps and all of the letters are the same size font.

I am sure that an expert will be along to give their opinion.
Best of luck!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With zero feedback I would be overly cautious. I've noticed a number of branded items being sold fairly cheap by sellers with 0 feedback. Mostly Cartier and Van Cleef.

Examples

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAN-CLEEF-ARPELS-Vintage-Alhambra-MALACHITE-18k-White-Gold-Bracelet-/191909181955?hash=item2caeadba03%3Ag%3AaNUAAOSwgY9XdeF7&nma=true&si=WukeS5%252F9%252F84BI%252FBSCeNu0aMu9eA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Cleef-Arpels-VCA-Alhambra-Mother-of-Pearl-18K-Yellow-Gold-Bracelet-Bangle-/112035794467?hash=item1a15da8e23%3Ag%3AwB4AAOSwukdXcNrl&nma=true&si=WukeS5%252F9%252F84BI%252FBSCeNu0aMu9eA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You have to page down to see the original listing. I've been watching for a Van Cleef bracelet and I noticed these going pretty cheap by the sellers with zero feedback.

All this to say I don't know if it's real but no feedback would concern me.

Feedback on one of the sellers of the Van Cleef

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sddvbsdbsd0&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your help. Sigh. I wish this world wasn't so crooked

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jetmal|1467583533|4051137 said:
Thanks for your help. Sigh. I wish this world wasn't so crooked

The crooked people get away with this because people are looking for something for nothing.

Demand for ivory creates poaching of elephants.
Same as what you are complaining about.

If you want a real Tiffany item go to Tiffany and pay Tiffany prices.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Octo2005|1467579336|4051122 said:
I am in no way an expert, but I believe that this is a fake. The letters seem to be sloppy (unevenly spaced apart and not in a straight line horizontally). Also, the "o" is lowercase, whereas on the piece that I have everything is in caps and all of the letters are the same size font.

I am sure that an expert will be along to give their opinion.
Best of luck!

Sorry :oops:
My mistake: I examined with the loop and the T and C are in fact slightly larger than the rest of the letters. However, the O in "CO" sits in-line with the rest of the lettering. In the photo, it looks to sit below.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kenny - your snarkiness is not wanted. If you have nothing nice or helpful to say, don't reply at all !

There is nothing wrong with buying pre-loved, I've been a member for a long time and have watched several PSers purchase used items, and items off eBay as well. I mentioned NOTHING about the price. I only asked for authenticating help. Yes, I want an authentic Tiffany piece, but of course I would love to save a few $$$ by purchasing pre loved. Comparing that to ivory poaching is absurd.

Have a great 4th!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jetmal|1467588472|4051159 said:
Kenny - your snarkiness is not wanted. If you have nothing nice or helpful to say, don't reply at all !

There is nothing wrong with buying pre-loved, I've been a member for a long time and have watched several PSers purchase used items, and items off eBay as well. I mentioned NOTHING about the price. I only asked for authenticating help. Yes, I want an authentic Tiffany piece, but of course I would love to save a few $$$ by purchasing pre loved. Comparing that to ivory poaching is absurd.

Have a great 4th!
You may have misinterpreted Kenny's post. He is telling you to go to Tiffany's to be 100% sure of your purchase so you are not scammed.
Sure, people buy on eBay or pre-owned, but you take a risk of not buying the authentic product if you don't deal with Tiffany's directly.
It is your coin, you have a right to spend it as you wish.

Oh, my 2 cents, with 0 feedback I would personally walk, too much risk for me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it is worth, here is the hallmark in my Tiffany wedding band. I bought the ring from Tiffany's so know it is authentic.

Don't know why these pictures come out sideways!! Urghh!

_4659.jpeg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you've probably gotten enough opinions here already, so forgive me.

The zero feedback, no paperwork and crooked hallmark are red flags - no it's not real (IMHO). However, I DO think it's possible to buy an authentic Tiffany ring off eBay.

I do want to chime in that I have 3 Tiffany bands. One I purchased in store and 2 off eBay. The sellers had feedback and they were returnable. I confirmed they were actually platinum and in the one case diamonds. The other is the engraved Legacy band (no longer sold) that would be awfully difficult to copy. HOWEVER, I was willing to pay the eBay price if they were at a minimum plat. I have no intention of ever reselling them - to be honest, I've probably already gotten the value I paid out of them for all the wear and enjoyment I've already had!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pics seem to show a halo'd center stone peeking up; is the seller advertising this as a Soleste? If so, don't think there have ever been holes underneath the bead-set diamonds in the Soleste shank.

There's something else, however, that strikes me as "off" re the inside shank of the ring, but not yet mentioned: there's no metal alloy fineness mark -- e.g., PT 950 -- immediately after the trademark (or below it, as in MissGotRock's band).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot of the usual clues are in other parts of the piece. Tiffany craftsmen are very picky. That means things like the azuring will all match perfectly and they won't have residual tool marks (that's the little square holes behind each stone). The stones will all match. Everything will be set level. Anyone can do that if they have the skills, but the fakers tend to be in a hurry and cut corners.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone - it is the diamond infinity ring....

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to pass on it. I appreciate all of your help, pics and insight. :angel:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it didn't work out for you but the more I read, the more questionable it all became. Hopefully there is a good, legit deal around the corner for you!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two cents about Tiffany hallmarks.
I have my Mom's Tiffany wedding set from the 70's with decidedly wonky hallmarks, [but know to be authentic]. The hallmark is stamped crooked on the shank with sans serif font.

So older pieces can have odd looking marks that a lot of people will think are fake.
Something to watch for is a laser-engraved Tiffany hallmark. It looks real until you loupe it and then you can see the tiny little dots that make up the engraving.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results