shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these spots just tarnish on my sterling necklace?

Klb4556

Rough_Rock
This is a sterling necklace I haven't worn much I found in my jewelry box, and it has these spots on it, is this just tarnish and will come off with polish?

I thought tarnish more often just looked like a cloudiness?

Thank you!
31100282_10155497242182006_7838524591776464896_n.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best way to know for sure is clean them and see if they disappear. Soak them first perhaps.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tarnish mostly looks black or grayish.
It might occur over the whole piece or in crevices in the design.
Gently buff with a soft cloth and it should come right off. You can use a bit of silver polish if necessary.
These spots also could be a reaction to something that came in contact with the silver or the rhodium plating, like perfume or hairspray.

Klb4556

Rough_Rock
Tarnish mostly looks black or grayish.
It might occur over the whole piece or in crevices in the design.
Gently buff with a soft cloth and it should come right off. You can use a bit of silver polish if necessary.
These spots also could be a reaction to something that came in contact with the silver or the rhodium plating, like perfume or hairspray.

Thanks. I did try to clean it with polish really well and no luck, the spots didn't come off.

As far as I know it didn't come into contact with much else but it might have. So does that mean just be really careful with other sterling from now on since that's not gonna be coming off of this one?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I did try to clean it with polish really well and no luck, the spots didn't come off.

As far as I know it didn't come into contact with much else but it might have. So does that mean just be really careful with other sterling from now on since that's not gonna be coming off of this one?
There may not be anything you can do about this piece.
Usually sterling wears well, and doesn't discolor. This may be a rhodium plating defect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results