shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these real? Heavily treated?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
What's up with these huge 30-40 ct tourmalines on Etsy?

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might be synthetic

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Are synthetic tourmalines a thing? I didn’t realize that existed! I think I may order one just to see what it looks like in person

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
@Neptune - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about - definitely fake right?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Gemsbynomads does not sell fakes.

Can you lino the vendor you bought from?

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
@Neptune - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about - definitely fake right?

I won't know since I didn't ask to see the lab report. Just sharing it because of the size. I've seen large faceted tourmalines at museum exhibitions.

I do feel that many BIG gems shown by them lately lack saturation, but have great clarity imho.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemsbyNomad is highly reputable and definitely not fake. They do not sell directly to be public except at large gem shows such as Tucson only.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
GemsbyNomad is highly reputable and definitely not fake. They do not sell directly to be public except at large gem shows such as Tucson only.

Well they clearly do as @Indylady just bought from them!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They must have changed their policy then. I inquired and they told me they sell only to Trade but will sell to me if I visit their booth at the gem show.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here are some vendor pics of the stone I bought. Whoops - so sorry for the confusion, I got this on Etsy and not through the Insta vendor

Attachments

• B5B1E2F1-2503-4DE0-B52A-DB71696E7B4F.png
    B5B1E2F1-2503-4DE0-B52A-DB71696E7B4F.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 44F364F9-98EA-45D1-BB54-FDDAD6C8DB50.png
    44F364F9-98EA-45D1-BB54-FDDAD6C8DB50.png
    956.8 KB · Views: 13

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They must have changed their policy then. I inquired and they told me they sell only to Trade but will sell to me if I visit their booth at the gem show.

Nomads technically only sell to trade. Recently I tried to buy from them directly at Gem Geneve and they never followed through, despite taking all my details and saying they would invoice me. All the years before that I was able to just pay on the spot. Something must have changed.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, Nomads is one of the most respected of the high end colored gemstones dealers in the business. Impeccable reputation, and one needs to be very rich to afford their inventory.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Tourmaline can come in quite large sizes.

As for these Esty vendors, I would not know about their reputations, as I cannot see a name or link, but large Tourmalines are out there and can be found.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I don't think she bought the pink tourmaline from Nomads.

My guess would be that 50 ct green tourmaline would be somewhere between $700 and $1500 per ct.

Nomads sell to the public in Tucson the first few days of the show, then they move to another show that is open only to the trade.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think she bought the pink tourmaline from Nomads.

My guess would be that 50 ct green tourmaline would be somewhere between $700 and $1500 per ct.

Nomads sell to the public in Tucson the first few days of the show, then they move to another show that is open only to the trade.

Oh I see! I thought she had bought one of those advertised on Insta.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock

Seems you are quite right. Disappointing as their stock looks INCREDIBLE.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Just got my 10 carat tourmaline in the mail! It’s immediately smudged up from my fingers DCF0E9DE-CE9D-4467-BC7D-8836C52EFC65.jpeg Just got my 10 carat tourmaline in the mail! It’s been immediately smudged up from my fingers, but it’s quite pretty. The cutting is really nice, and it’s a beautiful pastel pink color. It’s *generally* less saturated than the photo, but under certain lighting conditions, it does look like the photo. This is my first time with a huge gem, I truly did not realize how easily big stones can get dirty. I think it’s because I’m spending more time handling it using my fingertips, rather than the back of my hand or a gem box, and of course with a lighter color the smudges really show quickly.

Attachments

• 140B09C2-0256-4694-80FF-47B96B85DA5E.jpeg
    140B09C2-0256-4694-80FF-47B96B85DA5E.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 10

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just got my 10 carat tourmaline in the mail! It’s immediately smudged up from my fingers DCF0E9DE-CE9D-4467-BC7D-8836C52EFC65.jpeg Just got my 10 carat tourmaline in the mail! It’s been immediately smudged up from my fingers, but it’s quite pretty. The cutting is really nice, and it’s a beautiful pastel pink color. It’s *generally* less saturated than the photo, but under certain lighting conditions, it does look like the photo. This is my first time with a huge gem, I truly did not realize how easily big stones can get dirty. I think it’s because I’m spending more time handling it using my fingertips, rather than the back of my hand or a gem box, and of course with a lighter color the smudges really show quickly.

so................................................?
what are you going to do with it ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results