shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these inclusions enough to make me pass on this diamond?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Please look at this report and let me know whether or not the inclusions should be a deal breaker. I see they are twinning wisps, which I have read are not that big a deal, but I don''t know. Just a little worried.

Thanks,
Brett

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00984915

Click on the grading report please.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is no way to tell from the plot. you will have to see it for yourself or have it sent to an appraiser.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes, sometimes those plots look really bad but nothing can be seen with the naked eye at all. It''s an AGS VS2 so I would guess that the diamond is eye clean. Unfortunately, I don''t think BN supplies pictures (at least they didn''t for me) but they could maybe ask their supplier to eye it for you. IMO, you are probably okay, depending on how eagle-eyeish you are.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh! it is a vs2...don''t worry, you will not see any inclusions without the aid of at least 10x magnification.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what''s been said above--no need to worry with a vs2!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
i would love to have a VS2 satone! Be very happy, You shouldn''t see any inclusions by your naked eye, if you can, look for another-- or a eyeclean SI1 like i am!

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replies. How does an I color look as opposed to an H color? I am on a budget and would like to get something bang for the buck and I know cut is the most important thing.

Thanks,
Brett

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your eyes will probably not even notice the difference between ''i'' and ''h''.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind also, to get the most bang for your buck you might want to go down in clarity. Many SI1s are eye clean and some graded even lower are as well, especially in the size you are considering.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
I found this diamond which is almost the same size. I''m not sure about feathers and stuff though. Will you all take a look at this one as well?

Thanks,
Brett

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00954263&item=3_6&filter_id=0&sec=&query=&page=1&sortby=size-d

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brett - I don''t know what your budget is or what your other criteria are, but here is a stone you may want to look at - it is a great cut, and although is an SI2 it appears pretty eye clean from the photo, although I''d call Whiteflash and ask them to look at it for you. I think this one looks very promising!

0.705ct I SI2

DI40X_AGS-6205504.jpg

Brett257

Rough_Rock
That diamond from whiteflash is eyeclean. I have talked to them about it before. I am on a very limited budget, and since I live in Texas I have to add sales tax which makes the diamond $180 more expensive. I''m trying to figure out what to do here.

Brett

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any out-of-state friends or family?

Brett257

Rough_Rock
I do have out of state family, but I don''t know how I would get it after it was sent to them. They live over 400 miles away.

I guess they could mail it to me but how much is the shipping?

And if I have to ship it back because it isn''t what I wanted I will have to pay more shipping, which I guess would still be cheaper than tax.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about having WF ship the stone to an appraiser near you?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a setting chosen already?

Shipping a diamond (for me) via USPS is about $15-20.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I recently shipped my diamond registered mail (the most secure form of mail), insured at the full amount of $25,000. It cost me $33.00. I say have the diamond sent to a relative, from WF. It can be cheaply sent back to you.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2005 8:48:04 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
An SI 1 could get you up to G - this would be a better way to go.

An eye clean SI1 vs a sslightly tinted diamond - you can see the I color in some types of light.

There are a lot of great stones out there in your price range (<$2100 for the stone according to your other thread. However you also stated you want to stay around 0.7ct. The selections are smaller in stones of that size in that price range, and the WF one looks pretty darn good for your situation.

Obviously if you want to go down a little in size that would open up many more doors for you. In terms of color, yes an I will have a warmer tone to it (not that that is a bad thing - many people prefer it). That''s where the ideal cut is so important - and that''s why I''d be hesitant to get a Blue Nile stone sight unseen, regardless of how "ideal" they label it.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 9:52:31 AM
Author: ecf8503

... and that''s why I''d be hesitant to get a Blue Nile stone sight unseen, regardless of how ''ideal'' they label it.
there''s another thread on-going here on the value, and meaning, of receiving a certificate from a grading authority (AGS, GIA, EGL, etc.). Although the downside of providing too much credence to these agencies has been the focus...it is mainly based on my reading here that one might also appreciate the constructive value some of these agencies potentially provide, as well. Based on the work Brett exposed in his earlier post, it allowed me to re-think this, as well. Whereas I had been inclined to agree with you, now seeing not only both a feature based and cost differential between diamonds from WF & Blue Nile, but moreover, the BN having the imprimatur of a newer style cert from AGS, I can have the confidence to more readily recommend the BN option. Not because of BN, but because of the cert (in combination with the other factors as well.)

molly3795

Rough_Rock
Bret, I just bought an SI1 and it is SO eyeclean and beautiful....I would not hesitate to look at SI1 in a better color...I think you would be really happy!! Good Luck dear

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2005 10:09:42 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Date: 10/20/2005 9:52:31 AM

Author: ecf8503

... and that''s why I''d be hesitant to get a Blue Nile stone sight unseen, regardless of how ''ideal'' they label it.

I can have the confidence to more readily recommend the BN option. Not because of BN, but because of the cert (in combination with the other factors as well.)

Good point! I agree. I''d be much more comfortable buying a new-cert AGS0 sight unseen than a GIA. It''ll be interesting to see how the new GIA cut grade factors into all of this.

But back to Brett''s dilemma: I will readily admit I am / was a "color snob". My decently performing but poorly symmetrical 60/60 RB is a G (it''s 0.52ct). It does ok on the BS but the H&A is less than desireable. I could see the yellow tint in it, and so when I upgraded I went to a D (with SB fluor), and I love it. Now the tint I saw in the G may have been made more obvious because of the cut quality, but I do know that I see color quite easily.

That said, I am now in posession of my great-grandmother''s OEC, and it is quite tinted. It is mounted, so it cannot be accurately graded, but I''ve had opinions ranging in the K-L-M range. It is lovely - it is set in platinum with small single cuts in pave style on the shank. So - the warmer colors are growing on me. I think it looks fine in it''s mounting, but maybe it''s the "old world charm" of the cut in it''s old setting that makes the color seem so appropriate.

There are many people here who have I and J color stones in platinum and love them, so I wouldn''t let one person at BN sway your opinion on color. Have you seen enough stones in person to be able to decide for yourself if you like or don''t like a certain color range? D isn''t "better" than J - it''s just different. If you aren''t color sensitive, or if you prefer the warmer colors, then you shouldn''t be afraid of an I. I''ve looked through the inventories of various vendors, and it seems that in order to stay in the 0.7ct range for your $2000-2500-is budget that the I-J color range is pretty much the only option. I will qualify that by saying that there are numerous options in higher colors / lower clarities, but most are EGL. Now you could always have WF or another vendor bring one of these stones in for you...

Is the recipient involved in this process? If so does she prefer size over color? Some women want a bigger stone even if it is a lower color grade, others want a whiter color and will sacrifice size to get it. Another thought just occurred to me - would you ever consider upgrading? If so, I''d recommend checking out the vendor''s return / upgrade / trade-up policy - it may make a difference later.

And FWIW, I still think the WF 0.705ct I SI2 looks fantastic!

Brett257

Rough_Rock
To be quite honest I don''t think my girlfriend really cares so much. She picked out the setting, and I''m getting the diamond. I''m a guy and therefore I tend to be very preoccupied with specifications (not trying to stereotype). I think that a diamond around .70 looks the best in her setting. It''s white gold which is why I''m concerned about color. I don''t know...I''m going to go look at Jared just to see the color comparison. I''m wondering if their IGI H is really an AGS I, but I don''t know...I''ll go look. I don''t know anyone in my are DFW that carries GIA or AGS graded diamonds.

Brett

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2005 10:54:52 AM
Author: Brett257
I''m going to go look at Jared just to see the color comparison. I''m wondering if their IGI H is really an AGS I, but I don''t know...I''ll go look. I don''t know anyone in my are DFW that carries GIA or AGS graded diamonds.

Brett

OK - I did a quick search on PS''s home page and Google - here''s some info for you:

AGS has a member locator on their site, GIA does not (that I can find).

I located the Hearts on Fire dealers in your area as well - usually stores that carry high end stones like that will be better stores in general. Plus, even if you have no intention of buying a HOF, you can see what effect the cut quality has on the color of the stone.

Also there is a link to appraisers in Tx from the PS home page - it may pay to call one and see who they''d recommend.

Shapiro
AGS - Dallas
AGS - Fort Worth
Diamond Doctor
DiamondTrade.com
Hearts on Fire dealers in Dallas
Hearts On Fire dealers in Forth Worth
Pricescope''s list of internet-friendly customers in TX
Pricescope''s list of appraisers in TX

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, ecf, great work!
36.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, shucks! It''s nuthin''... :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results