shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these idealscope pics ok? What about quality?

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I am considering this rock- it has some issues, but it's a 1.70 for $8k. Yeah. Exactly. What is your guy's opinions of these photos?

Specs 1.70:
Table: 57%
Depth: 62.0%
HCA Score: 1.2
(I'm withholding some specs.)

Color- what's your guess?
Clarity- what's your guess?
Cut Grade- what's your guess?
(I know what the paperwork says, looking for opinions)

Thanks- just looking for quick go / no-go comments if I should bring it in for independent inspection!
KamanCali

kamancali

Rough_Rock
See photos below:

top A.jpg

top B.jpg

top C.jpg

Idealscope A.jpg

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to say its an I/J SI2/I1. Cut- I would say Ideal or XXX.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a lower color in that one pic-maybe a K or even an L. I'd guess the clarity at I1, maybe SI2. Cut looks pretty ideal. It looks like a good stone provided you or your fiancee are not color-sensitive and the inclusion isn't too noticeable in person.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused: is the point of this post to get helpful feedback on the stone or is it for us to play guessing games? Last I checked the quality of feedback depended entirely on the quality and quantity of information provided, but perhaps you subscribe to a different philosophy.

In any case - it's no H&A. IS shows slight 'leakage' (light escape through the pavilion), whether or not this is visible IRL w/ two eyes or how it translates into real-world appearance of the stone to *your* eyes are different questions.

Colour - wouldn't dare guess, who knows what camera settings were used, what lighting types were used, how that camera white-balanced, how true the camera captures faint colour, how well the colours were preserved post-processing and printing to web...

Clarity - again, wouldn't dare guess, since I don't have the stone and cleaning solution and a 10x loupe in-hand, and that's how clarity is determined. Just look at "top B" vs. "top C".

Cut grade - no expert, would guess 40.8ish pav - even w/ a steeper crown GIA is not going to penalize numbers like this unless girdle thickness or something is dragging it down, and neither GIA nor AGS consider asymmetry of patterning so not necessarily steeper crown

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
kamancali|1312833257|2986652 said:
Hi everyone, I am considering this rock- it has some issues, but it's a 1.70 for $8k. Yeah. Exactly. What is your guy's opinions of these photos?

Specs 1.70:
Table: 57%
Depth: 62.0%
HCA Score: 1.2
(I'm withholding some specs.)

Color- what's your guess?
Clarity- what's your guess?
Cut Grade- what's your guess?
(I know what the paperwork says, looking for opinions)

Thanks- just looking for quick go / no-go comments if I should bring it in for independent inspection!
KamanCali

Why play games? I don't understand, it has a grading report, by which lab?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't pay $8k for this stone for the following reasons. These are my personal preferences so they may not apply to you. The IS image shows leakage. It is only near H&A and this stone in particular is not worth the extra premium for this feature...hearts are uneven in size and some have large clefts. It has black inclusions which may be visible with the naked eye. Which lab graded the stone...EGL?

ETA: Based on a price search for 1.70 stones, I would say it is a G-H, VS2-SI1, Excellent cut per EGL grading.

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Yes it's a EGL cert, so that's why I wanted a blind survey on what it really could be, to "PS" standards (take that GIA!).

CRBL999 you're dead on: VS2, H color per EGL. XXX for sym/pol/cut. (The hearts say otherwise)

Looking most for light performance- hence high cut quality. Hoping the good cut (not excellent it seems, by hearts) will hide the color tint. The inclusions are hard to grade as well with these photos.

Basically, for a couple who neither of us own a single diamond, does this look like something I should bring in to a appraiser?

kamancali

Rough_Rock
side view
you really get to see the color here. But I'm interested in face-up color mostly.

side.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Color is hard to gauge on a computer, but it definitely doesn't seem like VS clarity!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This definitely doesn't look like a VS2 in any shape or form. I would drop the carat weight to get better clarity and cut (if you don't mind the color). The cut doesn't look superb based on the images provided. A better cut would also "hide" the color of the stone better if you are considering a stone that is H or below where you start seeing some yellow tints.

I don't know what your budget is but here's 1.71 K VS1 (can definitely drop to VS2 or an eye clean SI1, AGS/GIA graded) for $12k after PS discount. I saw a few J and K and even an L from Brian Gavin that look white.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052029016

kamancali

Rough_Rock
I've been eyeing this one, the K scares me, (and $), but compared to the champagne "H" above maybe not.

BG offers a pricewatch discount?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kamancali|1312854352|2986875 said:
I've been eyeing this one, the K scares me, (and $), but compared to the champagne "H" above maybe not.

BG offers a pricewatch discount?

Being that you are looking at an EGL graded H--that color may be more in line with an GIA J/K, so the color may be closer than you think. Really it's the 4K price difference that is the huge sticking point I thi k. What exactly is your budget??

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Shoot I forgot to mention, the above has medium florescence. So in essence this item is trying to mimic the BGB 1.7 as much as possible, for 4-5k cheaper. At least, in theory!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kamancali|1312848645|2986816 said:
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Yes it's a EGL cert, so that's why I wanted a blind survey on what it really could be, to "PS" standards (take that GIA!).

CRBL999 you're dead on: VS2, H color per EGL. XXX for sym/pol/cut. (The hearts say otherwise)

Looking most for light performance- hence high cut quality. Hoping the good cut (not excellent it seems, by hearts) will hide the color tint. The inclusions are hard to grade as well with these photos.

Basically, for a couple who neither of us own a single diamond, does this look like something I should bring in to a appraiser?

actually it is possible to have XXX without H&A. It looks pretty tinted and included to me. What are your priorities when shopping?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
kamancali|1312902827|2987208 said:
Shoot I forgot to mention, the above has medium florescence. So in essence this item is trying to mimic the BGB 1.7 as much as possible, for 4-5k cheaper. At least, in theory!

in theory indeed since it's EGL grade... so you should probably compare it to GIA or AGS K color SI clarity etc

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everything yssie said plus consider the fact that brownies cost less than diamonds that go down to yellow in color. This diamond needs to be graded by someone conservative who can inspect other features. Color hue is one. Then there is the nature of the imperfections and crystal structure which will answer questions about structural durability and possible haziness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results