shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these good diamond proportions? The image doesnt display all arrows

diadays

Rough_Rock
Is this a well cut diamond? I plugged the proportions into the Cut Estimator website and it falls within both GIA Excellent and AGS Ideal but the 360 video doesn't seem very symmetrical.

It is an IGI certified diamond, F VS1, Ideal cut, Excellent Polish and Symmetry

Table: 57
Crown Angle: 33.4
Pavilion Angle: 41
Depth: 62

proportions.png

This is the image of the diamond based on the 360 video

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 5.59.34 AM.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s just the lighting/camera set up that makes arrows black. They reflect what’s in front of them. Some arrows are silver some black in this image because they are reflecting something mixed black and white. It doesn’t matter.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The crown angle is a bit shallow at 33.4. It's preferable to see it 34-35.

If you didn't already buy this, do you want the experts here to look for you? If so, what's your budget and parameters in terms of carat and color?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, diadays!
I agree with you: there is some asymmetry with the cut precision for the pavilion facets (pavilion twist).
As 0515vision mentioned: we would be happy to help you find some great alternatives to pick from.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond also appears to have some graining.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has some mains over 41.2ish and one way under to drop the average to 41. Then the lowers are twisted to keep ex symmetry grade.

diadays

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses. I bought this stone online without knowing much about a diamond's cut or even much about diamonds at all- I was being driven by the excitement of having a diamond that I only really researched about cut after ordering it. That's entirely my fault. I think I am going to return it.

This is another stone that I bought because I thought the symmetry of the arrows in the 360 video was amazing. Is it any good? The 360 video looks great and it scores as 1.2 on the HCA test but I feel somewhat underwhelmed when I see it in person. Then again, I don't even know what a good diamond should look like.

Am I just expecting an H&A quality stone from a stone that is not an H&A? Am I making perfect the enemy of good?

Depth: 61.5
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.7

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 12.11.34 AM.png

Video i took of the stone in the bathroom (video expires in 2 days): https://streamable.com/ppjp59

Thank you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the responses. I bought this stone online without knowing much about a diamond's cut or even much about diamonds at all- I was being driven by the excitement of having a diamond that I only really researched about cut after ordering it. That's entirely my fault. I think I am going to return it.

This is another stone that I bought because I thought the symmetry of the arrows in the 360 video was amazing. Is it any good? The 360 video looks great and it scores as 1.2 on the HCA test but I feel somewhat underwhelmed when I see it in person. Then again, I don't even know what a good diamond should look like.

Am I just expecting an H&A quality stone from a stone that is not an H&A? Am I making perfect the enemy of good?

Depth: 61.5
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.7

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 12.11.34 AM.png

Video i took of the stone in the bathroom (video expires in 2 days): https://streamable.com/ppjp59

Thank you

This diamond also has some graining and potentially an unevenly cut pavilion.

Can we help you find a better diamond? If so, let us know your budget and size requirement.

diadays

Rough_Rock
Budget is ideally under $1800-2000 and I am looking for a stone around 2.5 to 2.75 carats

I have been looking for stones with the following proportions:

Table: 54-57
Crown: 34-35
Pav: 40.8
Depth: 59-61.6

Is this alright?

How can you tell if a stone has an unevenly cut pavilion based on the video?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget is ideally under $1800-2000 and I am looking for a stone around 2.5 to 2.75 carats

I have been looking for stones with the following proportions:

Table: 54-57
Crown: 34-35
Pav: 40.8
Depth: 59-61.6

Is this alright?

How can you tell if a stone has an unevenly cut pavilion based on the video?

I usually recommend a pavilion angle of 40.6-40.9 and depth of 60-62.4.

The black triangles between the base of the arrows indicate an unevenly cut pavilion, though this is harder to assess if a diamond is tilted.

What do you think of this diamond? A bonus is it's designated H&A on the report.

diadays

Rough_Rock
I was looking at that!

It falls just outside of AGS Ideal according to the HCA tool, is that okay?

What do you guys think about StoneAlgo.com? Do you think it holds any weight? Some of their stones that have high scores don't look so great but then again, what do I know

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 1.35.17 AM.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at that!

It falls just outside of AGS Ideal according to the HCA tool, is that okay?

What do you guys think about StoneAlgo.com? Do you think it holds any weight? Some of their stones that have high scores don't look so great but then again, what do I know

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 1.35.17 AM.png

There's no problem with the diamond's proportions.

I personally don't put much stock into StoneAlgo. Also, StoneAlgo and the HCA are rejection tools, not selection tools. They only tell us that a diamond is worth further consideration.

If you like it, I'd put it on hold so someone else doesn't buy it out from under you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

diadays

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz and @Kim N just out of curiosity, does better symmetry automatically mean a better brilliance/fire? would a J color diamond that is cut better/more symmetrically than a D color diamond (assuming all other things equal, clarity polish size etc) give off better sparkles or does the color rating bring it down?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz and @Kim N just out of curiosity, does better symmetry automatically mean a better brilliance/fire? would a J color diamond that is cut better/more symmetrically than a D color diamond (assuming all other things equal, clarity polish size etc) give off better sparkles or does the color rating bring it down?

Cut and proportions being equal, color grade won't impact the ability of the diamond to return light and create sparkle/fire, but it can change the appearance of the diamond, especially to someone that is color sensitive.

diadays

Rough_Rock
Cut and proportions being equal, color grade won't impact the ability of the diamond to return light and create sparkle/fire, but it can change the appearance of the diamond, especially to someone that is color sensitive.

Right, I understand that but I am asking if there is a balance between cut and color, if a higher grade color can offset a poorer cut.

For example, the two diamonds I posted above are colors F and G. They are right next to each other in the color scale but I can definitely notice a yellower/browner shade difference. The G is noticeably more symmetrical and falls within the ideal proportion range but the F seems to shine more brightly in the sun.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Right, I understand that but I am asking if there is a balance between cut and color, if a higher grade color can offset a poorer cut.

For example, the two diamonds I posted above are colors F and G. They are right next to each other in the color scale but I can definitely notice a yellower/browner shade difference. The G is noticeably more symmetrical and falls within the ideal proportion range but the F seems to shine more brightly in the sun.

No, cut and color need to always be treated as the separate metrics that they are...no relation between the two.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results